!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sutton St Annes - Provincial North-West Lancs - 1990-1995  (Read 5911 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Sutton St Annes - Provincial North-West Lancs - 1990-1995
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:35 pm »
thanks for that anthony

we all loom forward to seeing you soon - maybe rugby north yard as well. anybody need an extra pair of  hands ?

Cheers mate. Thank you for the offer, but one operator is more than enough for this layout.

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

New project - Rugby North Yard http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41858.0

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 12:00:49 am »
Been a few weeks since we had an update on the new loco stabling point. Now that SSA has been fully confirmed for the Shrewsbury show in October, I really need to pull my finger out :doh:

First things first, I still need to install a new point motor then crack on with ballasting, weathering and detailing the area.

Been doing a little browsing online recently, as I know what I'd like down there (around the stabling point) but it's finding the right materials / products to add.

Came across this last week...

A cracking little product from Justin at Scale Model Scenery. Extremely fine laser cut wood tube clamp safety railings. Now these will go perfectly down the middle to add separation and a little added safety for drivers and maintenance staff between the platform lines and the stabling point.

You can see in the photo that I have drawn a red line. This is where I am planning on installing the safety railing. Chuck in an old oil drum or 2, general clutter and jobs a good en. Maybe even a NOT TO MOVED board?

Remember, this will be just a stabling point, not a loco TMD, so just the bare minimum of clutter is needed really. I may also bring the track in ever so slightly, as I feel the stabling road sits a little to near to the edge of the board.

Also after being out on track today (the day job) I was busy snapping a few photos for another idea. I have a single carriage siding on SSA, so I'm thinking of adding a couple of stand pipes so my coaching stock can quench their thirst. Also the stand pipes will act as good marker posts for my uncoupling magnets.

These photos were taken by myself at Northampton Riverside sidings, adjacent to Plt 3. 

Note the stand pipe and hose that runs under the rails and out the other side into the wide way. Also every so often there is a T piece with another length of hose sufficient enough to reach up to the end of a Mk1 or Mk2 coach with an isolating stock Large Chicken :). These would then be plugged onto the water tank fillers. Old school railway term is tanking the train (take on water) I can easily scratch the stand pipes together, and the lengths of hose running along side the track could be made from lengths of say Peco 16/0.2mm wire. Nice subtle touch and again, something you don't see modelled much in 2mm.

The red dots are where I plan on installing the stand pipes, but I may install them in the 6" between the carriage siding and platform 1. Trains can be tanked either on the carriage siding or on platform 1 this way.   

Sadly gone are the days when these sidings at Northampton would of been full of Blue Grey and NSE Mk1's which would of been stabled between the rush hour 'Cobbler' duties that ran to and from London Euston with a class 85. This was the reason why 86401 received NSE livery and was named Northampton Town because of these trains. Funnily enough, she hardly ever worked them! The sidings are still in use today, albeit for stabling class 350 units overnight, after receiving attention at the nearby Siemens EMU depot at Kings Heath.

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

New project - Rugby North Yard http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41858.0

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: Yesterday at 01:47:35 am »
look forward to seeing the layout

yes, Sadly gone are the days when these sidings at Northampton would of been full of Blue Grey and NSE Mk1's which would of been stabled between the rush hour 'Cobbler' duties that ran to and from London Euston with a class 85 and i remember them - those are the days

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 02:03:10 am »
@37058

How common were those railings back then? I know they crept in as common sense and person responsibility got taken over by the H & S brigade I am just thinking back to the Blackpool Sidings I know they didn't use to have them in the day.
Also with the watering pipes would it not be worth placing them between the lines so they can quench the thirst coaches on either line? Of course just a though totally up to you and you can tell me to wind my neck in!  :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 09:23:23 am »
How apt you plan to model the standpipes as the North West prepares for a hosepipe ban starting 5th August affecting 7 million folks :laugh:

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 07:45:08 pm »
there is always the palisade fencing and maybe an old hose or old timber sleepers that could be added

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 08:22:35 pm »
How common were those railings back then?
I remember similar railings between some tracks at Rugby Midland back in the (late) 1950s.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 08:24:56 pm »
How common were those railings back then?
I remember similar railings between some tracks at Rugby Midland back in the (late) 1950s.

Fair come back I will shut up and wind my neck in!! :-[

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 08:27:40 pm »
was that by the housing estate ?

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00