!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Newtonmore  (Read 4605 times)

Offline LukeB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Newtonmore
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 04:11:15 pm »
Progress continues. Goodness knows how many layouts I’ll work my way through when I retire judging by the rate I’ve been going through whilst working from home while I’m ill(although the way things are going my retirement will be when I’m far too decrepit to do a layout...).

All the fencing is in place on the station, along with the lights which need to be plumbed in. I’ve also fixed down the benches, some with waiting passengers, and plant pots.

The station now also has a sense of place. These are the wooden laser etched signs by Arch Laser from Osbornes models. For the £4 or so they cost I’m pretty pleased with them. I’m also making my own Scotrail signs to go all over the platforms.

I’ve also added some Graham Farish sheep, and glued my remaining figures onto plastic bases so I can move them around to add a bit of interest. That includes this farmer, come to check on the feed trough.

The Peedie Models order included a water trough that I’ve not built yet, and on the fret were some etched gates. I’ve replaced all my Peco gates with them. I think they’re a pretty big improvement, here’s a before and after-

Before-

After-

Pace will be a bit more normal next week, I’m riding my bike in the Lakes and then off up to Scotland and there’s a lot of planning for them to do. I need to save myself some work on the layout for the cold, rainy days surely coming in the next few months!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:14:57 pm by LukeB »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
Looks really good to me.
Excellent modelling.
Each to his own but I prefer those Peco gates. It's just a personal thing. I had a few etched ones on Port Perran but went the other way to you and replaced them with the Peco ones!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »
Iíve also added some Graham Farish sheep, and glued my remaining figures onto plastic bases so I can move them around to add a bit of interest. That includes this farmer, come to check on the feed trough.

I recognise that farmer as one of the regional NFU Award Winners .. he was recognised for being "outstanding in his field"   :D  ...  as they say on here.... I'll get my coat and see myself out

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:26 pm »
I don't know what I disapprove of more, that joke or the disgust at my gates ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:46 pm »
Great work, Luke :thumbsup:
If I was being picky I'd like to see more ballast in the second pic, up to sleeper level :hmmm:

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 09:36:47 pm »
I'd not noticed that before but I think you are right. One of the sidings is short on ballast too and I'd been putting off dealing with it. I'll sort them out soon, good spot.

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 11:41:55 am »
After a bit of beggaring about I've finally got my lights working. The streetlamps and station lights were playing silly beggars, a few had blown and they wouldn't work in series even once the blown ones were replaced. I got some spring clip connectors and this has sorted everything and they all work nicely now. The lights in the buildings all worked just fine from the off, these are just grain of wheat bulbs run in series.

There's a few other new details you might notice in these shots (a bit of new foliage on the station and the new, working 156 in Sprinter livery) but I'll post some more photos of these soon.

It's an early November evening at Newtonmore and a Class 27 rumbles north with a Speedlink train of a few Railfreight vans, an open wagon, some tanks, a Polybulk and a couple of bogie bolsters.

It passes the 156, waiting in the bay platform to run back to Inverness at 5.30pm.

While it rumbles through the station a Scotrail Class 47 rolls into the station with a service to Edinburgh.

Looks like there's not much demand for this service tonight.

It looks like folks would rather stay home, and who can blame them? It also looks like tomorrow is bin day.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »
Excellent! :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:25 pm »
Great lighting.  :thankyousign:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
That all looks superb.
Lighting (especially when done well as you have) makes a huge difference.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »
Thanks very much port perran, it took me a long time to find suitable street lights that didn't cost the earth and I'm pleased with how these turned out.

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 07:07:59 am »
Looking good.

Any chance you can tell us where you got your lights?

Dave G

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 05:05:21 pm »
daveg- these are the lights. You can adjust the height pretty easily. I painted most of mine but left two bare and they look fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331384561803?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 01:08:22 pm »
The layout got put on top of the wardrobe last winter and then a lot of life things happened so I didn't get it down until the Christmas break. In the last year I've  bought (and sold) a classic Porsche, taken it to Germany, supported my wife through the last year of a PhD, sorted out her last spouse visa application so she can stay in the UK forever, had our busiest year ever at work and ridden my bike a lot.

While no new work's been done (other than the laying of some "soil" around the big house) I've got a few jobs lined up that I'll be able to get on with - the layout is currently up full time in our office, which my wife is no longer using. I did get a lovely Railfreight Class 20 for my birthday which I had a play with last weekend. I also got a new Caledonian Sleeper Class 67 for when I'm running in present day form.

The Class 20 appears out of the woods with a short Speedlink working-

The distillery's Class 14 waits for a Speedlink working coming in the other direction to shunt. I've found the layout is well suited to doing a few shunting puzzles whilst a longer train uses the outer loop.

A class 27 arrives with the northbound Speedlink.

The 14 shunts a Tartan Arrow van I bought at the Great Electric Train Show at the British Motor Museum earlier this year.

Later that evening, a 156 arrives with a slow service from Perth to Inverness.

A bit more luxurious, a 37 heads south with the Royal Scotsman, complete with teak coaches.

Hidden at the back of the layout, a double decker (which needs re-logo'ing and a new destination board) arrives to pick up locals getting off the train.

The garden at the end of the layout is starting to look better now.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 01:17:35 pm »
Many thanks, Luke, for this welcome update with lots of photos. of your very attractive selection of trains on your layout. The house garden looks very good indeed.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything