!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Newtonmore  (Read 4351 times)

Offline LukeB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Newtonmore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 05:44:54 am »
I'm not sure if I'll do fencing that way again!  I did it over a few weeks and it was a bind.

Well, after a good solid week of modelling I've put the layout away for a week or so as my wife returns from a conference tomorrow. However,  I had a little play first-

It's a weekday and the LMS local stopping service trundles in from Kingussie to terminate at Newtonmore.

It heads towards the bay platform and uses the goods yard siding to run around its train.

It pops back out onto the mainline to bring up the rear of the train.

And then finally runs its coaches onto the platform.

Before the stopper departs in a couple of hours the LNER afternoon pick up goods is on its way to drop off some cattle wagons, but first the distillery shunter must get the vans dropped off yesterday out of the goods yard. It runs out onto the mainline.

Then into the goods siding. You can see here that I've installed some speed signs.

With the vans collected it returns to the distillery siding for the vans to be loaded. Meanwhile a tanker leaves to take some whisky to a blender.

The pick up goods turns up a little while later. It's seen here from the footbridge.

It reverses it's train into the siding and drops off the cattle wagons.

It then heads north, next stop dropping a van off in Kingussie.

And finally,  a short while later, the stopper service departs north towards Grantown on Spey.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 09:03:22 am »
Luke

I'd be interested to hear more about your fencing trials and tribulations. The fencing you show in your post of 26 September looks very nice. I'm sure it is hard work - I've found it to be as frustrating as ballasting and that's me using brass frets from various manufacturers.

And, I like very much your collection of photos of your layout.

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
Smashing pics and narrative, Luke :thumbsup:
Not sure about blended whisky as I'm a bit of a whisky snob :uneasy:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:07 am »
 Love it. Reminds me of the night I spent in Kingussie... looking for a pub, discovering the line with a manned signalbox, and apologising to Scotsoft for not calling in as I went through Tyneside.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »
Smashing pics and narrative, Luke :thumbsup:
Not sure about blended whisky as I'm a bit of a whisky snob :uneasy:
Me too.
It has to be single malt I'm afraid
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:55 pm »
Ha! I do own a bottle of blended. I used to use it as track cleaner (I'm a snob too)! I liked the tablet though.

The fencing is tricky to get right and easy to twists in it and tangle, so I had to make more than I needed. It's repetitive to make, really repetitive. And it needs very steady hands. I found the best way to plant it was hammer a pin into the layout, pull it out then plant the fence post and add a dab of superglue. Then repeat for around every fifth post and add glue to the others on the surface.

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:12 pm »
It was my birthday in August and I took the opportunity to branch out into an entirely different era. I fancied some of the stuff I saw when I was little just before privatisation kicked off.

My parents got me a lovely Class 47 in Scotrail. These were fairly common on the Highland Main Line once they'd been replaced by DMUs on the Edinburgh/Glasgow push pull service. As you can see though it's replacement is waiting in the wings in the form of a Dapol 156 (which is sadly a static exhibit now as the mice have destroyed the motor, I've just ordered a replacement).

Now, you might be thinking "that's a funny place for a signal box" but Newtonmore has a signal box in pretty much this location that was new in the late 20th century and is used as holiday accomodation.

My in-laws got me this Dapol Class 27. I've yet to add some of the detail to this but you can see it hauling a Speedlink train south, also comprised of new stock in the form of some Peco Railfreight stock and the excellent Farish Polybulk wagon.

And finally a Farish Class 60, seen here trundling south on a cement train. These didn't really visit Scotland when they were new, except on some engineering trains, but I really like them so got one anyway. It's called Ben Nevis, that'll do, won't it?

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 07:54:18 pm »
Layout looking great. Loving the attention to detail.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:17 pm »
I agree. This is really, really good.
Looks fantastic.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 11:14:33 pm »
Very nice scenic work, indeed. A real Highlands 'feel'.

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 10:02:03 am »
Luke

Great layout really like the 80's era the class 60's were used in Scotland more or less from the start they worked trains here but none were allocated to Scottish depots most of the work the did was coal and oil trains in the Central belt

Dave

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 11:06:10 pm »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign: looking really good, thanks for sharing
regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:20 am »
Lovely photo's, great layout, lots of lovely features and great scenic touches - hat off to you with the fencing!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Andrew

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:20 am »
Looking great. Thanks for the updates!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:04:02 am »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The information about the Class 60s is useful too, there's not much mention of them on scot-rail where I do a lot of my research.

Work has been progressing with Newtonmore, there's no big structural work left to do but there is work to be done on bringing the layout to life. I'm also looking into getting some LED lighting to go over the layout. Where it sits in the room when its out the overhead light casts a shadow of the backscene onto the layout making the rear half look very dark. Hopefully LED strip lights will solve this and not be so bulky or vulnerable as to get broken like I fear fluorescent tubes would be.

I have finally finished the basic structure of my platforms. They needed some filler putting in the joins between the sheets of plasticard, which was sanded smooth. While I was doing this I also filled in some of the car-swallowing potholes in the road. The white patches of filler and bits of bare coloured card that form the platform structure were then painted with Desert Tan acrylic. The back edge of the bay platform has been filled with Dapol N scale ballast crushed up in a pestle and mortar to match what's currently on the real platform. It certainly makes the area look a lot more finished, and fencing will disguise the rough back edge of the platform nearest the front.

I have also bought some working lights from China, and some grain of wheat LEDs. I hadn't originally planned to have working lights on the layout but it seemed like a good opportunity to add some brightness to the layout, and as winter is approaching I was thinking of the dark 3pm walks home from when I lived up there.

The lights destined for the platforms were repainted to match the Scotrail station colour scheme and installed by drilling through my lovely freshly finished platforms - fortunately without mishap! Installing the grain of wheat LEDs inside the buildings was trickier as all the ones that needed light apart from the station building were superglued to the layout. Careful measuring and drilling from underneath fortunately went without mishap. I just have to wire them all up now. Great, I love wiring...  :roll:

This photo also shows the fencing from Peedie Models that I've installed. These are brass etches. There's more things from them to fit later.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything