!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN trains - Javelin  (Read 2968 times)

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN trains - Javelin
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:23 pm »
If Hornby have exclusive model rights then perhaps Arnold are in the frame aka the BB.

Ben viz "west coast" you might be nearer than you think with IEPs suggested for Alliance trains from Blackpool...
With Voyagers becoming increasingly obsolete then I can see IEP bi modes for VT / Next WCML franchise holder.
Cheers
Robert   

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 04:32:05 pm »
I don't know how it works these days with manufacturers getting rights to the trains themselves - hopefully, Hitachi would be open to allowing Bachmann or Dapol to produce the IEP in N.

Hornby seem to have gone off the boil with UK N, even though the Brighton Belle performed well. An IEP in N would be a "no brainer" with guaranteed sales for the next thirty years and plenty of livery variation, with GWR, Virgin, Hull Trains and Transpennine having these on order.

With 5 or 9 car formations, my hope would be that the cost could be kept to reasonable levels - Hornby have quoted 374 for their 5-car IEP in OO and 319 for a pair of HST power cars (standard DC) in their 2017 range.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »

Hi Adam,

The indication I have had is that Hornby overestimated the depth of the N gauge market.  When the first run of Brighton Belles sold out quite quickly, they immediately produced another batch - which is where they expected to make their money - but these are sitting on the shelves.

As most retailers tell me, this is the issue with British N. Yes, there is a market, but there is not the depth there is in 00. 

This is what makes it far harder to justify sinking large sums into expensive tooling; and why the crowdfunding approach - where as long as the minimum number is reached, the model is viable, has a place.

Personally I think if Hornby were a buoyant company with cash in the bank they would see the sense in doing the IEP (30 years of sales, at least, as you identified) but their financial position is strained, as has been well documented, and I just don't think they have that luxury.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Kaian

• N Gauge Society Number: 26669
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 10:31:56 pm »
I made a comment on Dapol Digest in September about class 800 for N.
Dapol were refused permission but commented they had not given up yet.

https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/polls-and-forum-announcements/368-future-models-n-gauge-locomotives?p=2602#post2602

Craig

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 10:37:09 pm »
Thank you for sharing that information, I trust there will be one made soon by someone!
Regards
Phil

Offline jacowin80

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:02 pm »
They are the White Sonic from Kato. Don't think there is much chance of Kato making it in Southeastern though :(

Have not got the courage to buy a White Sonic and repaint it  :worried:

I'm sure there is a video of someone who has converted a kato white sonic into a javelin. Looks very good in the video but probably not 100% prototypicaly correct.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:26 pm »
They are the White Sonic from Kato. Don't think there is much chance of Kato making it in Southeastern though :(

I'm sure there is a video of someone who has converted a kato white sonic into a javelin. Looks very good in the video but probably not 100% prototypicaly correct.

The window and door pattern is significantly different.  It can be done with a lot of work, but I'm not that desperate to have one and I think there will either be a Shapeways or RTR one eventually.

Offline jacowin80

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:55 pm »
Quote from: Pengi
link=topic=33886.msg392313#msg392313 date=1468141306

The window and door pattern is significantly different.  It can be done with a lot of work, but I'm not that desperate to have one and I think there will either be a Shapeways or RTR one eventually.

The kato units are also hard to come by as well most coming from Japan etc. I also believe they are a tilting model.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here