!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Flying Scotsman 2nd Tender  (Read 2053 times)

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
Re: Flying Scotsman 2nd Tender
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 03:12:57 am »
it only carried water, so a little conversion is in order, cut out the coal bunker and replace that section with part of a roof carriage or wagon roof. should look ok then

I have the same project on my 'To Do' list. Here's a snap of a OO model at an exhibition somewhere in the West Country a couple of years ago. Can't vouch for its authenticity.

HTH, Brian

like i thought, basic water tender, so i think by cutting out the coal bunker, replacing it with a roof off a wagon or coach, then adding a 2nd corridor section on the front along with the numbers 4472 on the sides, should be spot on i think?!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Flying Scotsman 2nd Tender - nearly finished example from Farish bits
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:58:14 pm »
Oops, I rather think i'm inventing a 'never ran' example. Ive actually got Farish 60103 Scotsman in BR green with double chimney and no deflectors - i'm not sure what they based their production model on. My research has shown that when Pegler bought it, it was BR green with a standard A3 NON corridor tender, double chimney and deflectors. As I am very specific not going to repaint the loco / tender as bought, im going to have to repaint my new tender in BR green. I think it has to be a ficticious example as so far I cant't find any picture of a double tender Scotsman in BR green.....
My Tender in the photo is a chinese tender chassis with a Poole Tender Top, a DMU roof section and ive made a resin corridor front from a silicone mould off the Farish rear. Just needs the front buffers, and a tiny bit of filler to end up in Apple Green, I may add tin plate sides with double sided tape to paint in BR Brunswick Green ... we'll have to see...

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:57 pm »
Oops, I rather think i'm inventing a 'never ran' example. Ive actually got Farish 60103 Scotsman in BR green with double chimney and no deflectors - i'm not sure what they based their production model on. My research has shown that when Pegler bought it, it was BR green with a standard A3 NON corridor tender, double chimney and deflectors. As I am very specific not going to repaint the loco / tender as bought, im going to have to repaint my new tender in BR green. I think it has to be a ficticious example as so far I cant't find any picture of a double tender Scotsman in BR green.....
My Tender in the photo is a chinese tender chassis with a Poole Tender Top, a DMU roof section and ive made a resin corridor front from a silicone mould off the Farish rear. Just needs the front buffers, and a tiny bit of filler to end up in Apple Green, I may add tin plate sides with double sided tape to paint in BR Brunswick Green ... we'll have to see...

Hi Fred

The answer is that during the 1950s A3s were fitted with the double-chimney which greatly improved steaming. However a less desirable by-product of this change was a much softer exhaust which would drift and obscure the crew's forward vision. The solution was the "German" (Or "trough" or "bat's wing") smoke deflectors which were fitted to the most of the class (but not quite all) between I think about 1959 and 1962/3. I think Flying Scotsman was a fairly late convert and thus 60103 as depicted by Graham Farish is quite correct for the late crest period until that happened although the tenders are a minefield so I cannot confirm that it had a corridor one during the same period.

Regards

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »
the tenders are a minefield so I cannot confirm that it had a corridor one during the same period.

It didn't until preservation - it had a non-corridor one at that period - the Farish model is wrong, presumably because they only had the corridor moulding and didn't want to tool multiple ones.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
May Donations

Advertise Here