!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 5270 times)

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 08:56:43 am »
Your right Webbo - they do now - but these are circa 2004 production - found on eBay in Germany at a reasonable price for the six(6) still in the original boxes and in near mint condition to my eye . I was looking for some gondolas for a cameo scene - but these were the best value for the set - some sellers here want the same price for two (2) wagons !!!! So think old stock in good Nick is same as the current price ( you do have to factor in scarcity tho ) but some are having a laugh ! Steamier - when you get a min - you'd better pop up to mine and run me through the procedure for a video - I can put up the test track easy Enough ( grandson will be miffed ) in the  back - and stage a photo shoot when your ready !

Will do mate no problem.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2017, 09:25:02 pm »
At last it's stopped raining up here -still very windy though >:( hey ho time to post some more pictures of the fleet ---

Emd sd40-2 and Emd sd40-2  snoot nose and consist .

My personal favourite the mines yard shunter !

Emd sd70ACe And Emd sd70mac in bn executive livery -(another fave ) and consist

Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2017, 09:39:01 pm »
What a great idea :idea: Have the kitchen as the mancave. Beverages on tap :)

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2017, 09:47:35 pm »
Thirsty work this photo lark -last consist wouldn't fit on the table- so we moved next door - have about 10 spare wagons not in photo -and I've yet to do the coal train Mick -save that for another night !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:16 pm »
I've finally  found a solution to my kato coalporter problem -kato's are fitted with a non operating knuckle coupler which means the rake has to be hand coupled to the loco regardless of the loco coupler type fitted - meaning shunting is out and so is bringing in a pair of locos to haul them out ( I don't like the hand of God bit ) I tried swapping the end unit with a microtrains 1035 -but I guess the rivet counters will spot them (3 springs on a 100t bogie 2 on a 70t unit ) the other option was cut off the kato coupler ( er no ) and body mount a 1015 in the ejector pin Mark on the body ( thanks kato )  OR going to page (4) on a Google search came up with an answer -it suggested using an lbf coalporter ( microtrains fitted as standard ) as an in-between unit !!!!! A quick look on eBay-(4) no at Rails Sheffield  for sale (£59) or a look a bit further (4) no E&C shops ( same thing just a bit older -mint condition in boxes £25 + postage !!!!!! No brainer

Can't decide how old they are -but in mint condition -the counter weights are a bit archive  but work ...

and to finaly show their age -check out that moulded coal load  :hmmm: hey ho they couple up .

More or less that's fleet completion -the 4 newer locos have gone to the weathering man for a dust over  :D I just know they will be good when they return -I'll post some pics -but that will finish this thread - if anybodys interested ???? - I'll move over to the layout construction pages and continue there with the rest !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2017, 04:26:07 am »
And to make matters worse, 100 T trucks were typically fitted with 36" wheels vs the 33" on 70 T trucks. But, who's looking that closely anyway? I'm certainly not, though in the process of re-wheeling my rolling stock with metal wheels I am fitting the appropriate wheel sizes. Even so, nobody is going to notice.

Webbo

Steamie+

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2017, 06:02:12 am »
I agree with with Webbo Neil, who cares about the rivet counters, so long has your happy with them thatís all that matters really.  Happy Modelling Neil.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2017, 08:16:44 am »
Webbo - my friend -can I ask -have you noticed a difference when you re-wheel -are they easier going as its said? Curious with this one-act re-wheeling would be another expense -the couplings were to me a necessity-depends on the benefits ??
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2017, 10:31:58 am »
Hi Neil

I'm told that metal wheels are less likely to muck up your track. What I do know is that they sound better when they are rolling along. Metal wheels also look better (if you are looking closely). Whether they are worth the money - don't ask as I think I'm entitled to irrationality (and it's too late for me).

Webbo

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »
Hi Neil

I'm told that metal wheels are less likely to muck up your track.

That's my belief, too.
Look forward to the construction thread, Neil. :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »
It looks like 12 axles is roughly £10 - about £1.80 per wagon- I will say that my kato bethgons and twin stacks all run really well -a gentle push and they cover some ground  :hmmm:
Awww you've gone and done it now Webbo - planted that seed and Nobby s compounded it . Will have to see when I've finished my outlays on rest of layout!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2017, 11:25:38 pm »
Sorry Neil

But, how else are you going to spend your money?

If you go for metal wheels, make sure you get the right axle lengths for the particular rolling stock manufacturer. For example, Atlas and Micro-Trains take slightly different axle lengths. I've gone with Fox Valley Models wheels although Atlas also makes them.

Webbo

Steamie+

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2017, 08:03:20 am »
Had a great meet up yesterday mate, we could have talked for a lot longer iíam sure. Will look into what we talked about Neil on the meet up. take it easy mate, going babysitting in an hour, so nothing doing on mine today.   :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2017, 09:05:36 am »
Sorry Neil

But, how else are you going to spend your money?

If you go for metal wheels, make sure you get the right axle lengths for the particular rolling stock manufacturer. For example, Atlas and Micro-Trains take slightly different axle lengths. I've gone with Fox Valley Models wheels although Atlas also makes them.

Webbo

Bet my wife could give you a giant list of things to spend it on  :P
Seriously though I have thought about it as I said all my kato stuff runs really well and free on metal wheels-the 6 con-cor I have did run well but the bogie had to go because they were rubbish couplings-so microtrains 1035's -so that leaves me with my atlas ( some of which have microtrains on one end ) and then the rest are intermountain ( microtrains as standard ) my new E&C shops ( micros as standard ) ive been a bit careful what I bought for that reason
. It makes me laugh though- theve gone to great lengths with the nmra standards but every manufacturer has a slightly different axle lengths-making it impossible to buy just one length of axle. Now the question is there are two widths -narrow and wide wheels -what gives ?? Are wide for specials or narrow for specials -over to the men who know -am good with bogies couplings -but not wheels ! :helpneededsign:
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2017, 10:22:50 am »
Wide vs narrower wheels is a choice I'd forgotten about or at least didn't want to confront. I'm a man who really doesn't know, but is prone to make wild guesses. Wide wheels would seem to me to be less likely to derail when going over turnouts. The last axle in a train would look better with narrow treads, but rivet counting to this degree is not my thing although I admit to ordering my wheels with narrow treads and they run fine. I'm not to be trusted with my opinions.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything