!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 6250 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:47 pm »
That looks to have closed the gap between wagons by a full sleeper spacing :thumbsup:

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2017, 06:57:47 am »
I'll bet the extrude a feeling of power up close.

Outofgauge:

Love the multicoloured backdrop to your new locos!  ;D ;)

They are differently not on Southport Beach George i can tell you lol.   :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Steamie+

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2017, 07:03:57 am »
Well Neil having just looked at your thread i am very impressed with your Loco’s and your rolling stock.

The Kato loco’s certainly are quite, i can vouch for that, having got my 1st Kato loco, ok it's only a little Chilbi, but it ran straight away out of the box with no issues what so ever, ran has smooth has silk. I may be tempted to start buying Kato Steamers and change my perspective on my layout and go foreign with their steamers.   :) :)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »
Had a last push at the loco coupling changes last night . Some were easy -Atlas 8-40 bw ( mtl 1015 ) Kato emd sd40-2 and it's snoot nose partner ( mtl 2004-1).  Katos -Out with the clip ( atlas is a screw ) ease out old coupling -slide in new -push in clip ( or add screw ) done !

Atlas 8-40 bw with screw .

Kato sd 40-2 -and snoot nose

The other Kato locos -Emd sd70 mac x2 Ac4400 and the sd70 ACe are a different show . All use the mtl 1015 . Easy enough to remove the old coupler -'c' clip out -coupler slides out -the problem lies in the lower corner of the front pocket ! It has two small 'nubs' in the corners -

I used a small sharp knife -and just pushed into each corner till the plastic was removed. Then you need to file the opening a little both on the bottom and both sides -don't do the top ( small hole in plastic ) as this dictates the mounting height of the coupler. Keep filing a little and trying the new coupler in place -it should be a smooth slide in .

I opted not to reuse the 'c'clip but instead used the screw provided by microtrains -the coupler has a hole -line it up with the one in the loco -and using a Small flat bladed screwdriver tighten it up . The plastic is soft -the screw metal -it cuts it's own threads . Don't over tighten tho or it will jam the coupling -it should move freely with a flick of the finger ! Around 10 mins per loco to do -but don't rush ! The reason behind using the screw and not the clip -are due to reading on a forum -that if you use the loco in a large consist -if two or more locos and plenty of wagons the clip can and will pop out -will the obvious results ! :veryangry:
Results are as follows -

I still have a few wagons to convert over -if I find an unusual one -I ll post it -think the fun will be with the kato twin stack container wagons -I struggled with the bethgon coal wagon conversion -but I'm a trier and don't give up !!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:04:45 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Reorganise wording »
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2017, 10:07:31 pm »
Thanks Neil

This will be a useful post if/when I ever recoupler my Katos.

Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 06:50:49 am »
Thanks Webbo - Just trying to help fellow modelers - it's not a cheap hobby we have - I know you can get most things as spares - but it all cost ! And if I can help - I will  - I also know micro trains conversions are an expensive alteration - but I've decided I want to go there - so Ive got on with it - found a supplier over here that will order in once a month what I want off micro trains ( stock dependant)  at a better price than I was paying before ! Thought of buying from abroad - but the import duties etc - will mean it works out even dearer  :'(  Nobody else seems to do the same amount or types of conversions - I've done trucks with / without couplers body mounts etc - the only time I've failed is the 1128 conversion for the version coalporter by Kato ( same applies to the twin stack cars Kato make - but I've now got 4no. Plain 100t trucks - I may have a go at body mounting a 1015 on some - but then I've seen some lbf coal porters going cheap and they have the microtrains coupling on them - a few guys in the states have said its the way to go - use one front and rear of a block and leave the Kato fixed coupling in the middle ! :hmmm: costs about the same and no ruined wagons  !
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:47:51 am by outofgauge »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 08:53:35 am »
Thanks for this Neil

In reality most of the trains in North America nowadays operate as unit trains so the amount of shunting that goes on is almost zero. Your coalporter and double stack strings only need couplers capable of coupling with anything else at the front and back of your strings. Modern era locos are often (usually?) operated in pairs - one facing forwards and one backwards so no need to use turntables for return trips. The bottom line is that there is no need to make all couplers inter compatible even on locomotives.

Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2017, 09:40:33 pm »
Just a quick note -I meant to add in on my last post -if you unsure which type of truck your wagon has -I.e  bettendorf , roller bearing , archway etc and size 70t or 100t then check this website out -it helped me when I found I had an atlas tanker with con-cor trucks on it   :poop:

Www.spookshow.net
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:59:38 am by outofgauge »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:59 pm »
At last the bulk pack of microtrains  1035 bogies and my last batch of 1015 s arrived Saturday morning -I can't fault the service of Stuart at The American Railroad Center in Bodmin Cornwall he orders whatever you wanting ( as long as its in stock at Walthers and he always checks before hand-and then keeps in touch by email -and didn't ask for money till they were in the uk). Anyway I can start showing off the completed fleet I've amassed and sorted ready -stating with the new loading silos earthworks removal train -6 railgon leasing gondolas ( con-cor) -headed up by a dash 8-40bw (atlas)

I couldn't live with the con-cor standard rapido -never liked it on UK gear -so i bit the bullet and changed them -as Mick ( Newport nobby) pointed out the saving on length between wagons was worth it (6mm) per two wagons-plus there now reliable and I can change loco on the layout by auto uncoupling not drag it out of site and lift it off !!!!
Will keep adding the photos as we're done and time permits -although with this much rain about -outside works are suspended  :bounce:
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »
The rain up here has been of biblical proportion and is set to continue tomorrow as well, so you might be stuck indoors, Neil ;)

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:41 pm »
The rain up here has been of biblical proportion and is set to continue tomorrow as well, so you might be stuck indoors, Neil ;)
It's been the same here but add in gales as well. Many trees down around and about.
Flaming June!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:38 pm »
High winds are due up here tomorrow-like you force nine (9) forcast-that shud get rid of the cobwebs ! Your only right Mick -glad I'm indoors all this week with work . Looks like I'll b parading another of my fleet tomorrow night folks -won't be fit to be in the man cave #1 just have to use the back bedroom again for works and the dining table for my photo shop -Mrs don't get home till after 7pm so while the cats away ........ !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2017, 02:00:20 am »
Very good Neil - nice looking train.

I was wondering about your comment in the following that Con-Cor used Rapidos as standard. They almost certainly did once, but don't any more. Nowadays, their rolling stock comes with two optional types of knuckle couplers Rigid Jaw (cheaper) or MicroTrains Jaw (more expensive) couplers. Sort of like Dapol having their Easi-Shunts and their rigid knuckles.

I couldn't live with the con-cor standard rapido -never liked it on UK gear -so i bit the bullet and changed them -as Mick ( Newport nobby) pointed out the saving on length between wagons was worth it (6mm) per two wagons-plus there now reliable and I can change loco on the layout by auto uncoupling not drag it out of site and lift it off !!!!
Will keep adding the photos as we're done and time permits -although with this much rain about -outside works are suspended  :bounce:

I'm a fan of the RailGon gondolas too. I have two TTX RailGon 65' gondolas made by ExactRail. These are very nice models.

Webbo

Steamie+

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:51 am »
Great looking train that mate, when can you do a video on it, should be easy now you you have those new couplers on.    :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2017, 06:47:05 am »
Your right Webbo - they do now - but these are circa 2004 production - found on eBay in Germany at a reasonable price for the six(6) still in the original boxes and in near mint condition to my eye . I was looking for some gondolas for a cameo scene - but these were the best value for the set - some sellers here want the same price for two (2) wagons !!!! So think old stock in good Nick is same as the current price ( you do have to factor in scarcity tho ) but some are having a laugh ! Steamier - when you get a min - you'd better pop up to mine and run me through the procedure for a video - I can put up the test track easy Enough ( grandson will be miffed ) in the  back - and stage a photo shoot when your ready !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations