!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Water as a backdrop.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Cypherus

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Water as a backdrop.
« on: May 10, 2016, 06:45:30 am »
Been pondering on this one for a number of weeks now and it's probably the reason why this scene has never been modelled to my knowledge to date.

Question is how to model a back scene when there is nothing there to really call scenery.  The area in question is New Holland town, Pier and surrounds which throws up the major problem of the scenery looking out over the pier station and ferry jetty from the landward side across the expanse of the river Humber towards Hessle over a mile of open water an you begin to get the size of the problem.

Time frame is 1945 so Hessle is really not much more than a small riverside hamlet and Hull is some distance down stream so not really in the frame as a backdrop and of course the Humber bridge is some years hence so apart from the ferry itself now long since gone there is little in the way of scenery except muddy brown water.

The layout runs from the right corner of a loft extension to the the right but does not have an available wall to fix any scenery to the rest of the area being my office space in that direction, The pier area will be sitting on sculptured glass painted to colour with the bank side sculpted onto it and I thought of using a hanging banner type scaled picture as a back drop, any thoughts.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Water as a backdrop.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:28 pm »
Getting the perspective right could be tricky. You might be best off with just plain sky as a backscene.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:24 am »
I guess turning the layout round so the water is at the front is out of the question? Thought so.

I would try to take the water out to become a haze-grey and try to merge that with the same haze grey at the bottom of the (as Matt suggests) plain sky backdrop.  I guess an air brush to blend a very light blue-grey mist colour around the area where water meets sky could do it.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Cypherus

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:20:01 am »
Plain sky back drop seems to be the way to go as suggested, been looking at numerous photographs of the area from the visual aspect as it will be and the Hessle shoreline is remarkably featureless to be honest from the distance it is at over a mile so Tattershall Castle appearing out of the mist might not look all that odd as long as the the perspective is corrected for distance, will give it a go, thanks for the input.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:26:37 am »
I agree that blending the water into the sky will likely be your best option. But looking at some of the comments, blending muddy water into a sky color could be a challenge. I suggest you try and depict a misty grey morning; the misty grey of the sky could overlap with the grey morning mist hovering over the water. The more you can disguise the 'join' between the flat water and the vertical sky backscene the better!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:42:07 am »
the Hessle shoreline is remarkably featureless to be honest from the distance it is at over a mile so Tattershall Castle appearing out of the mist might not look all that odd as long as the the perspective is corrected for distance

Maybe model it in T gauge (1/450) if you're capable, which I wouldn't be :no:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:33 am »
I think just blue sky down to almost white at the horizon would be fine.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Cypherus

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »
You don't model in 'T' gauge, you grow it in a Petri dish and use a scanning electron microscope to operate it.  :-X

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32:02 pm »
You don't model in 'T' gauge, you grow it in a Petri dish and use a scanning electron microscope to operate it.  :-X

:laughabovepost: :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here