!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Llanrumney Sidings  (Read 6010 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Llanrumney Sidings
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »
Not sure what you are asking for really but for what it's worth, the problem here is retrieving wagons from the sidings.
Agreed; I'm failing to see how this layout will operate.

One problem is the lack of a run-around loop. That's where the loco is able to pull the train into a siding, disconnect, run forwards a bit, then reverse back through a parallel siding and then back onto the mainline. Alternatively, it could back up and connect to the tail end of the train, and then pull the wagons back to the mainline as well. For this you need a run-around loop.

Unless a train propels wagons into these sidings, it's going to be 'trapped' at the end of one of the lines. That isn't without precedent, but it is relatively unusual. It requires either a second loco (perhaps a shunter) to trip the wagons to the main industry somewhere, or else for the loco to propel the wagons backwards down the line when the wagons have been unloaded. Exchange sidings where a shunter takes the train certainly do exist but usually where big, long trains justify the expense. Similarly, leaving the loco in a siding while the wagons are unloaded is a waste of motive power, and unlikely to be cost effective except in very specific situations.

The sort of sidings you've built make more sense for something like a locomotive fueling point or something along those lines.

Cheers, NeMo

Online Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
I really appreciate your feedback  :beers:

I totally see where you both are coming from, I think I should have added a passing loop to move the train from one side of the wagons to the other. Definatley correct on the train being trapped. I think I'm going to use this end to end layout for now but will be adding other sections as I go

This is probably flawed thought on my part but thinking loco comes in with two or three wagons at a time from the right pulls into one of the two siding at the bottom then an 08 shunter could attach then move them to the top left siding ( loading good onto wagons). Once full then moved into the siding where the warship is in the photo which releases the warship from the bottom to connect onto the end of the wagons then away. Building this in sections :)

Many Thanks, Chris

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 09:34:24 pm »
Finally got round to building the warehouse. Loads of small bits especially the windows, Really enjoyed building it and finally got some height on the layout. Could have done better in a few area's but happy overall. Anyways on with the photo

Many Thanks, Chris

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »
Looks very good to me, Chris. Thanks for the photo.

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:48 pm »
Nice looking buildings, Chris, but you might want to run something underneath the buildings which is the same thickness as your ballasting. This ensures the loading platform levels remain at a constant with the rail level. When seen from some angles, though, this is not an issue.

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »
Looks good to me.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »
Thank you guy's really appreciate the kind comments. I'll definatley add something underneath the buildings as you suggested  :beers:

Seriously thank you :)

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 12:38:57 am »
Nothing set in place or in the correct place, Just playing around

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 07:31:29 am »
Thanks for the very nice photo. Coming along very well.

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 08:34:25 pm »
Nearly completed my second Metcalfe Kit and really enjoy building them. The brewery is a little big for my layout and will need tweaked for positioning but really happy coming together nicely. Think I need help on what to place over the point section on the scenery side but really happy so far

I've left off the facia board's until I know exactly where it's place to save on damaging it and I would like a full platform across the front of the buildings I need to build which in the gaps the wagon's can unload directly onto the platform if needed. Thats my excuse anyways just prefer a full length platform :beers:

Overview

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »
Nice buildings Chris. I am interested in the brewery, can you tell me the plan size and the height please? The Metcalfe web site gives dimensions of the individual bits but not the assembled plan dimensions.

Did you find construction of the kits straightforward - any hints and tips to pass on?

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:51 am »
Hi Keith,

I've only just saw this post now but I'll post up the size tonight when I get home ( Finish work at 9pm )

The kits do go together really well but make sure you buy a set of coloring pens. When you fold the walls etc you get a white line down the edge and I 'colour' these in gives a much better overall end product.

Like I did just take your time and double check before gluing and you'll be fine  :beers:

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »
This is what happen's when your pen's run out but you keep building anyways need to attend to these edges at the weekend  :beers:

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 10:43:52 pm »
I have seemed to have lost my tape measure this is the best I could do apologies @keithbythe sea  :beers:

Tallest Building

Length Aprrox

Online Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 10:36:51 pm »
Since it was my day off today I decided to break out the cutting knife and board and start on a couple of kits I had ready to go.

Metcalfe Signal Box Kit & Bus Depot. The Signal Box I've done as per the instructions but I've made the depot with my twist on it as I want it for my layout. Anyways both kits came together really well and happy with the result. I've gone for the car park advice and going to add a garage for haulage lorry's and a 'busy' haulage centre car park effectively.

I wont be working on the layout for about a week now but enjoy today a lot  :beers:

Thanks for looking

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything