!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Llanrumney Sidings  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Llanrumney Sidings
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:54:57 pm »
Fictional Sidings where my Partner currently lives, Reason behind the name :)

Finally after four years I've finally got an idea I'm happy with and started, I have started previously but lost interest straight away. This one I'm really happy with the layout. I don't mind advice and or criticism.

I bought the baseboard from Model Railway Solutions around a year ago. It's only 3x1ft but something I can store away easily and can completely hide which I can with this size. The baseboard went together extremely easily would buy another and recommend them.

I've decided on a totally fictional shunting yard so I can run basically anything I would like within reason. This is as far as I've got so far and I can only move around 3 wagon's using an 08? Shunter but can store upto 7 or 8 in the sidings so plenty 'playing' ability I think. Still trying different things out using buildings from my fathers layout he's building, Anyways onto the first photo of this layout.

Thanks for reading, Chris

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:03:24 pm by Drakken »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Llanrumney Sidings
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:28:15 am »
That looks fine, although anything pulling wagons into the 2 right hand sidings is going to be buffer locked unless you are using DCC control.
How do you intend to feed trains into the top right entry - separate board with fiddle yard, traverser, cassettes?

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:32 am »
To be honest, I thought I could use the single straight at the end will fit the engine and two wagon and insulting all the sidings would allow me to move two at a time from any siding into another if that makes any sense. The layout is only DC and I will be only running one train :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »
OK - that'll be fine providing the loco is pushing the trucks into the sidings :thumbsup:
Don't understand the bit about insulting your sidings, though ???

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
I may have read it wrong but I'm guessing since I'm only running one loco I don't need to insulate anything as all track needs to be 'live' or if I wanted to run two loco's I could deactivate a siding to leave the unused loco in?

Many Thanks for you help :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
Re: Cardiff Sidings
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:28:09 pm »
Chris - please see your layout with power feeds (3 x black triangles) and insulated rail joiners (2 x shown in red) which I would consider a minimum required. If you want some extra 'playthings' let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Offline Drakken

• Awards
Re: Cardiff Sidings
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »
Thank you so much, Reading your post seems you've done a diagram on exactly where I need to input the power feeds and insulated rail joiners. Unfortunatley I cannot view it I'm getting an error message 'Sorry you are not allowed to view this file' I've tried on my mobile phone to but same error.

Really appreciate you taking the time to assist me :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:58 pm »
There's something weird going on with the media system on the forum as, having been told there was an error 500, I then found the image had been loaded twice into my album ???
I deleted one of them and maybe that's the one you can't see.
Can you see this one OK?

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 07:19:17 pm »
I can see it now :)

I'll keep my progress updated, I really appreciate your assistance with my layout. Could I insulate each of the sidings individually so I could 'store' a loco in one of the sidings?  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »
Switching the points will isolate the siding concerned. If you put insulated rail joiners after the access point you'd need to feed power to the siding.
Another way to isolate a loco (especially on DC when driving a loco to a dead end) is to leave a space big enough for a loco next to the buffers and cut one rail of the track behind the loco. This can be bridged by wire either side of the break meeting at a simple push to make/break switch which can be mounted on a control panel if you have one or into the side of the baseboard framing. The cut in the rail can be made anywhere along the length of the siding and you can have as many isolated sections as you want (as you would in an engine shed storing a few locos).

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 08:15:17 pm »
Ah thank makes perfect sense, This mean's I could store a couple of loco's on the layout and still run DC only allowing the loco to move when the break in the rail is filled. Easy when you know how.

I think two loco's would be more than enough for this layout to be honest just need now to sort a era. I especially like the Class 66 and 08 Shunters been looking at Hatton's which has the era guide which helps.

I was thinking I'll play around with the layout more before I decided to fix the track down but your help is invaluble. I owe you more than a few  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:26 pm »
Don't worry about it, Chris. We're all here to help each other with model railways and with life :)
It might be nice if your locos/rolling stock had the same livery - say EWS (I believe it's the most available livery although I know half of bugger all about this 'modern' stuff.

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »
I think you right with keeping the same livery. I would like to use and may add an extra siding for couple of derelict wagon's with graffiti on. The blank section will have fencing along with a road and shops up and houses etc along up a slight hill as if the streets looking down into the yard. Thinking also a tunnel from the right hand side so give the effect the loco's are coming from somewhere and gives me the opportunity to still add another board if I would like to go modular :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 08:39:24 pm »
Sounds very promising. It's good to start 'simple' and practice techniques and products in case you have the room/time/money to build 'The Biggun' :D

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Exactly, I thought a 3x1ft board should be very achievable and something I can see the end in sight. Looking forward to ballasting and the wiring. But really looking forward to dirtying the track especially and the wagon's. Start small I can always add on later.

The layout is at my parent's as my father's building his so thought be a good layout for space wise to build along side his layout. Looking forward but probably only a weekend build but make sure I don't get bored or sick if doing to much during the week

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here