!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Motors  (Read 2599 times)

Offline johnsom

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New Motors
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:51:25 pm »
I have read in recent posts that some of the newer loco's have a slower running motor i.e in the Dean Goods - how much slower ??
I have moved into a smaller house and am now limited to an 10X2 foot rural shunting layout - the U.M locos I have do not run all that slow and I am not on D.C.C - my Kato and Atlas loco's have excellent very slow speed qualities, but I would like to make this layout U.K based - I love my three U.M loco's but they do start and run pretty fast ! 

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
Re: New Motors
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
I'm afraid my Dean Goods is the first UM loco I have purchased so I can't give a definitive answer except to say it's in line with my Farish locos but not as slow as my Dapol 2884.

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
I'm sure Dr Al changes his UM motors for slow running. Cheers john.   Where he's lurking I don't know.

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »
 I believe Dr Al replaces motors with Mashima 1015 ones which run more slowly. I think this means worm has to be taken off U.M motor and worm drilled out so that it fits on Mashima motor shaft - a bit too technical for an Ancient Britain like myself !!!   

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:20:03 am »
Hi,

Yes, I've replaced the motors on all my UM (except a few early ones with the larger tender wheels that actually run very well at slow speed). The Mashima 1015 is identical dimensions and is a straight swap *apart* from the shaft diameter (irritatingly!). This does need the worms carefully drilled out to fit the shaft, but this is the only complex part of the conversion - if they were the same it'd be a drop in swap. I'm sure there are likely to be worms you could buy that would fit as the tooth pitch is standard (MOD 0.3 or 0.4, I don't recall which).

The 1015 is a 5 pole high quality motor, as compared the 3 pole more highly magnetised UM units. It therefore will allow sleeper creep no problem and sticky starting/rocketship top speed are all gone. The excellent haulage capacity is retained as the rest of the drivetrain is completely unaltered.

The only negative is that if you change one you tend to need to change them all if you want to double head given the running speeds are different. A small price to pay though for the massive running improvement IMHO.

I've not seen on of UMs most recent motors, so yet to see how this compares with their previous unit - it might mean the 1015 conversions is less needed. Though the 1015 still may be better if the new motor is not 5 pole (unlikely to be I think).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »
Many thanks for info Dr Al

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:31:09 pm »
Al, where do you buy these motors and is there anything else needs buying?. Cheers john.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 08:44:50 pm »
Al, where do you buy these motors and is there anything else needs buying?. Cheers john.

Other than the tools, only parts are the motor - I buy them from KBScale:

http://www.kbscale.com/motors-gears.html

but there may be other suppliers that are cheaper now (I haven't bought one in recent years).

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 11:07:57 am »

The only negative is that if you change one you tend to need to change them all if you want to double head given the running speeds are different.

One potential negative I found when changing mine (I've done 5 now) is that in all cases there has been more drive train noise than before the conversion. This has been despite playing around with centring the worms on the gears and adjusting the clearance using cigarette papers etc. It's not a big issue for me and overall the change is certainly worth it for the better slow  running. Just wondering if there any hints for adjustment which will reduce the noise?

Richard

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »
I've found some motors are noisier than others. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem an issue - I don't think the geartrain contributes much to noise. In relative terms mine are all fairly quiet though - maybe not all as much as the original UM, but there's far noisier models about!

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 02:25:17 pm »
I note that KB scale do Mod 0.3 and 0.4 worms, would it not be easier to fit them instead of having to drill the UM ones?

(Scroll down the KBScale link Dr Al posted above for worms and gears)
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 02:28:00 pm »
Quite possibly Mike - I've never tried myself though - had some spare appropriate sized worms and also drilled some of the plastic ones out.

If anyone tries a KBScale one successfully do let us know!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 10:19:41 pm »

I've just tried fitting the KBScale GS04 Plastic Mod 0.4 Worm - (1.5mm bore x 4.45mm OD x 4.95mm long) and it seems to work OK, it even seems to run slightly better than before.

I fitted it as the rear worm and and it fits on the shaft  with a bit of force (i.e. it  needed pliers pushing at the end to push it on). It fitted without the need for trimming lengthwise, not sure if the same would be true if it was fitted as the front worm

Richard

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »
Thanks Richard - this is useful info.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 07:08:46 pm »
Thanks for all your posts - I have ordered a Mashima motor and pairs of 0.3 and 0.4 worms from KBscale - I will let you know if successful

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here