!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lubricating UM model  (Read 851 times)

Offline GreenDiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lubricating UM model
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:45 pm »
I've been following the discussion here and especially on this thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1245.msg399137#msg399137

I'm very impressed with these models and the fact that a small company can manufacture these at prices that is basically lower than the competition. I'm all for heavy, well-made metal locos that run well and are still well-detailed.

I did manage to purchase a used J39 from Hattons and was pleased as they were able to remove the VAT (as I live in Canada).

The loco ran well straight out of the box but, after a few evenings of running, it is now making a faint whirring noise that I'm sure wasn't there when I first ran it. Should I lightly lubricate the tender? Just checking if anyone has any advice or other suggestions regarding this, as I don't want to lubricate it in the wrong area or over-do it, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
Re: Lubricating UM model
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:52:07 pm »
I would contact Colin and ask him.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »
Green Diesel Whatever you do DONT OIL THE MOTOR BEARINGS on any of the Union Mills Models as LAandNQFan says drop Colin a line or phone him he is a realy helpful friendly chap , as far as I know you can oil all the axle points and linkage with a thin sowing  machine oil or a proper model oil  but he says DONT USE THE 3in One oil .
I have no idea what is available in Canada.
By the way what part of Canada do you come from.
Bob

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »
Green Diesel Whatever you do DONT OIL THE MOTOR BEARINGS on any of the Union Mills Models as LAandNQFan says drop Colin a line or phone him he is a realy helpful friendly chap , as far as I know you can oil all the axle points and linkage with a thin sowing  machine oil or a proper model oil  but he says DONT USE THE 3in One oil .
I have no idea what is available in Canada.
By the way what part of Canada do you come from.
Bob

Thanks, Bob!  I did end up emailing Colin & he said it was OK to lightly lubricate them. I've done this & it's running fine (I think what I use is calledLaBelle Oil, commonly sold in hobby shops here).

I'm from Toronto, but grew up in southwestern Ontario. I try to visit the surrounding countryside around Toronto and in SW Ontario as much as possible!

Rob

Offline Croxy

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »
Another member close to me! For the majority of our British outline N gauge stock we have to rely on ordering from the UK.....sometimes I come across the odd item at a model train show but it's very limited......the LaBelle oil should be fine, it's intended for lubricating model railroad locomotives......I still have the majority of a bottle of Fleischmann oil....doubt I'll ever use it all up as such a little goes such a long way.......
If you like it run it......

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything