!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 37055 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (and this time I mean it) - Border country, 1963
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2016, 10:17:09 am »
Hi Richard
Just stumbled across this. Very nice indeed. I still havent seen a finetrax layout in the flesh yet, so to speak. Ive got a boxful for a project which might get built sometime in the future. A Scottish steam layout perhaps but further west than Lauder, and probably further south (but still in Scotland) than Longframlington. When I get time........

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
Hi Richard
Just stumbled across this. Very nice indeed. I still havent seen a finetrax layout in the flesh yet, so to speak. Ive got a boxful for a project which might get built sometime in the future. A Scottish steam layout perhaps but further west than Lauder, and probably further south (but still in Scotland) than Longframlington. When I get time........

Cheers
Kirky

Whithorn branch?  That's about as far south and west as you can go in Scotland, I've always thought it would be a nice one to model.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2016, 04:59:44 pm »
Slower progress than hoped, as the Longframlington track gang insisted on stopping for a brew up and to admire their handiwork every time they got a length of track down.  They then consumed a couple of bottles of Broon at lunchtime, followed by a long nap.  Despite this, all the station area track is now in place.

Timebond turns out to be an excellent adhesive for Finetrax as it allows a certain amount of repositioning and shuffling of sleepers.  One of the most annoying aspects of laying this track is the tendency for the sleepers to creep along the rails, especially on lengths of track that have been repeatedly handled.  This creates uneven sleeper gaps which you don't always spot until the track is down.  However, even with Timebond any repositioning needs to be done before the sleepers are firmly pressed down.  If you spot a problem after that stage you are stuffed.  I will confess that there are a couple of places where the sleeper spacing is a bit uneven, but I think they should be OK after ballasting and painting.

The only other problem with Timebond is that you need plenty of ventilation, i.e. all windows open.  As a result my cottage is now buzzing with the world's most annoying flies which keep trying to settle on me.  I'll let the glue dry for a bit, then do the rail joins, drill holes for the wire droppers and point mechanism, then turn the whole thing over and wire it up.  Might have trains running by the end of the evening, depends how lazy I feel.  It is Sunday after all.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »
Thanks for this update. Looks like excellent progress has been achieved. I look forward to seeing some trains running in due course.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2016, 06:34:34 pm »
Thanks Chris, it's coming along steadily.  But the scenic treatment is bothering me now.  I've realised that I am well on the way to building a layout that is almost identical to my last one, except a bit shorter and with fewer sidings.  The big problem is the road overbridge that I was planning to have as a scenic break.  That is far too much like my last layout (and the three before that).  I need to come up with another way to hide the point where the scenery stops and the fiddle yard begins.  It doesn't help that I only have two inches of track between the fiddle yard turnout and the start of the station throat.  I'm thinking possibly a level crossing, with a large building (pub?) immediately to the right of it at the front, and the road slanting slightly leftwards (looking at it from the front) to create a sightline which distracts attention from the fiddle yard. This layout might end up having a slightly less remote feel than "Belstone" even though I'm not really into constructing buildings. I might make some crude card mockups of buildings, position them on the layout and see if I get the effect I am looking for.

Offline kirky

• N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2016, 08:40:58 pm »
Hi Richard

Cheers
Kirky

Whithorn branch?  That's about as far south and west as you can go in Scotland, I've always thought it would be a nice one to model.

Not quite. I actually already have a half built permanent layout in my loft of New Galloway and Gatehouse stations with a bit of a viaduct

in between. Unfortunately far too many things have conspired against me to finish it, not least of which is a small club layout. However, with any luck that will be finished soon and maybe I can start on a finetrax version of NG in the winter.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2016, 09:35:54 am »
That viaduct is magnificent and deserves a second chance.

I ran out of electrical bits before I could get the wiring on the second board finished, so I spent an hour sketching out some plans for the scenic treatment.  What I have come up with is a long row of low relief terraced houses at the back, and the railway threading its way between a large pub and a corner shop, all in nice solid Northumbrian stone.  There will also be another block of terraces, full depth this time with back yards etc. The idea is that the station was built on the edge of Longframlington, so the scenic treatment around the station itself will be more rural, with a backdrop of distant moorland. I don't really like card kits so it looks like my scratchbuilding skills will have to improve rapidly.  In any case it's always good to try something different. I'm thinking about using estate agent floor plans from Rightmove to get the basic dimensions, and Google Streetview to find some suitable buildings to model.  What did we all do before the Internet was invented?

My inner ten year old is telling me to motorise the level crossing gates :) And also to have working signals, with lighting.  So much for this being a "quickie" project. I'm also looking at a hinged flap to increase the length of the fiddle yard about six inches, as the station area will take much longer trains than the fiddle yard sidings can accommodate.  That's not so much a planning mistake as the inevitable result of having the baseboard in two 3 x 1 sections which was the only way I could make it storable in my cottage.  I could have had two of the turnouts straddling the board join to make the fiddle yard longer and the run round loop shorter, but I didn't fancy that idea much.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2016, 08:35:28 pm »
I had a flash of inspiration for the mock-up of my scenic ideas - downloadable buildings.  So I found some free ones, printed them out and stuck them to old dog food boxes.  (As I have said before, every modeller should have a dog.  Long walks are where I get most of my ideas, including this one.)  Printed in black and white because I'm too tight fisted to use colour cartridges, and also because the actual buildings will be in stone, not brick.  The whole lot was done in about 30 minutes using spray glue, and boy does it show. They look a bit small - the website states they are 1:160, and also the trackbed is raised about 3mm off the baseboard.  But you get the general idea.

The pub will be a fair bit bigger. Northumbrian pubs are great big hulking monsters of buildings on the whole, and built to withstand a direct hit from a bomb. I imagine most of the houses would have been railway workers' cottages - even a small branch terminus would have had its own loco shed in Victorian times, so two sets of crew, lighters-up, cleaners, fitters, porters, signalmen, telegraph clerks, guards, booking office staff, goods office staff, permanent way workers and about five passengers a day by the 1950s.  Dr Beeching might have had a point.

The hole in the backscene is problematic but I can't really run any trains without it.  I'll try to make it much smaller than in the mock-up, and hopefully my huge pub building will hide it. There will be a signal box opposite the pub and a gated entrance to the goods yard in front of it, with a weighbridge and small office.

Comments and suggestions welcome...

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:32 pm »
As I have said before, every modeller should have a dog.  Long walks are where I get most of my ideas, including this one.

I have a cat. If I go for long walks I get lost :-[

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »
As I have said before, every modeller should have a dog.  Long walks are where I get most of my ideas, including this one.

I have a cat. If I go for long walks I get lost :-[

But getting lost gives you the chance to come up with even more ideas. Sounds good to me.  We had a Burmese cat when I was little: she used to sit in the middle of the layout and bat trains off the rails with her paws. You don't get that with dogs: they just wee on the baseboard supports.

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:23 pm »
I have so many ideas when I'm out with my dog that I forget about the dog. :confused2:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2016, 11:30:11 pm »
A bit of pub inspiration: this is the Bridge of Aln (next to Whittingham station on the old Coldstream branch). My model pub will most likely look like this.

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2016, 06:43:42 am »
A bit of pub inspiration: this is the Bridge of Aln (next to Whittingham station on the old Coldstream branch). My model pub will most likely look like this.

More importantly I wonder what its like from the inside  ???

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 09:56:33 am »

I haven't been there for a long time but it used to be a very old-fashioned pub - hard wooden benches to sit on, plenty of ales but no food apart from crisps and pickled eggs, and full of hill shepherds who are hard as nails and can drink you under the table.  From the outside it doesn't look as though much has changed.

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2016, 10:32:53 am »

I haven't been there for a long time but it used to be a very old-fashioned pub - hard wooden benches to sit on, plenty of ales but no food apart from crisps and pickled eggs, and full of hill shepherds who are hard as nails and can drink you under the table.  From the outside it doesn't look as though much has changed.

I have never actually seen anyone eat a pickled egg, I think my local had a jar of the things like a weird lava lamp type thing ever since the place first opened.

:-X

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here