!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 39046 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2018, 10:52:28 pm »
At first glance at the photo I thought you'd pinched one of my spaghetti photos! Do you have a wiring diagram for this? I'm liked you, I find electronics difficult but something like this I could possibly manage, I think ???

I got the circuit from this page which I found via Google: (2nd diagram down)

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/366584/how-to-convert-a-digital-signal-from-5v-to-24v

Quite possibly there is a relay out there which has the signal sensing circuit built into it, but I haven't yet found such a thing.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: May 20, 2018, 07:46:53 pm »
Having been closed for several months for major engineering works the Longframlington branch has reopened to regular traffic. Here a J39 waits to head back to Morpeth with the morning train.

Later the same day the same loco is captured shunting the goods yard before departing past the "Percy Arms" to which the signalman will shortly retire for a spot of refreshment. In the absence of level crossing gates he has had the job of stopping road traffic with a red flag to add to his normal duties.

Meanwhile, back in 2018... the control board for the frog switching relays is now fitted and performing exactly as hoped. I am sure I will find the missing level crossing gates eventually. Generally the layout is running well, with the uncouplers behaving themselves, but the unstable trackbed around the station throat continues to cause me concern: trains seem to have a rougher ride through the pointwork than they did when the layout was last in use, although I might be imagining this.  At some stage I will have to bite the bullet and either pull up the track and relay it, or start another layout.  I recently acquired yet another book on North Eastern branch lines featuring the Allendale branch, the terminus of which has absolutely everything anyone could wish for in a model, including a turntable, coal drops and an attractive rural setting (it was nowhere near Allendale Town, which explains why it closed in 1952). But for now I will just enjoy being able to run trains again.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:51 pm »
It looks suspiciously like youve been using the Belstone coupling system, which I have to say looks absolutely first class. The only N gauge give away has been illiminated and it looks brilliant.
Well done Richard.

Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2018, 10:52:49 pm »

Following a series of derailments at the station throat the track gang were hauled out of various public houses and set to work straightening switchblades and repacking sleepers. Two trains have now passed over the offending pointwork without incident.

(2018: Pointwork has been prodded with screwdrivers, tweaked with needle nose pliers and secured in its new alignment with some astonishingly good cyano adhesive (Ergo 5705) which sadly appears only available through the motor trade.)

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2018, 05:50:16 am »
Excellent work! I bet the track gang nipped over the fence to have a kick about in the goal painted on the back wall!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
A very pleasant evening - did a few minor jobs around the layout then had a long operating session with huge amounts of hands-free shunting, during which almost nothing went wrong. 

I added a couple more vehicles - a Karrier flatbed with a load of packing cases, and a Hillman Imp.  The street scene needs a bit more work, it looks rather bare and undetailed at the moment.

I built up another cassette for the fiddle yard.  I really need to get round to making the drop-down flap for the end before there is a nasty accident.

An unusual visitor to Longframlington - Haymarket-based D5307 with an inspection saloon. 

J39 runs round a train which includes a horsebox.

Viewed from the roof of the Percy Arms, the J39 departs for Morpeth. I found the missing level crossing gates :)

Since the layout is running well I might turn my attention back to finishing off some of the scenics.  A few people dotted around, station nameboard, point rodding and a bit more work on the houses and streets-should keep me busy over the Bank Holiday.

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2018, 12:00:22 am »
One more for now - 61184 of St Margarets is a long way off its usual patch and in desperate need of some attention from the cleaning gang.

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:14 am »
Don't forget, the roads were less crowded in the 1950s & 1960s than they are now.  A couple of people having a chat, a few children getting up to mischief, a policeman keeping an eye on proceedings, perhaps.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2018, 07:12:39 am »
Don't forget, the roads were less crowded in the 1950s & 1960s than they are now.  A couple of people having a chat, a few children getting up to mischief, a policeman keeping an eye on proceedings, perhaps.

Absolutely right.  It's easy to overdo the detailing, looking at photos of branch lines in the steam era there wasn't much going on.  Longframlington has a nice uncluttered feel and I want to keep that.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:24 am »
One more for now - 61184 of St Margarets is a long way off its usual patch and in desperate need of some attention from the cleaning gang.

And absolutely correct, too.  St Margaret's was no Haymarket!

Thank you for these excellent photographs.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2018, 01:59:55 pm »

And absolutely correct, too.  St Margaret's was no Haymarket!

To be fair, St Margarets engines had a hard life. 61184 is destined for my Waverley Route layout if it ever gets built. It's a bit out of place here, but there again Kingmoor once sent a Jubilee to work the Jedburgh branch goods, so it appears Rule One applied to the real railway as well.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2018, 04:15:45 pm »
Loving the photos @belstone
The crossing gates look excellent. Really pleased that you've had a problem free running session which must mean the Belstone Coupling System is working well?
cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: May 26, 2018, 12:48:40 pm »

(2018: Pointwork has been prodded with screwdrivers, tweaked with needle nose pliers and secured in its new alignment with some astonishingly good cyano adhesive (Ergo 5705) which sadly appears only available through the motor trade.)

Plus a swish with track-cleaning eraser? Just like Longframlington, my check-rail tops at Mwyniwr Tryciau are all  nice and shiny, but they oughtn't to be really and it bugs me.  ... Has anyone got a method of colouring them that can endure track cleaning?

Mike

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »

Plus a swish with track-cleaning eraser? Just like Longframlington, my check-rail tops at Mwyniwr Tryciau are all  nice and shiny, but they oughtn't to be really and it bugs me.  ... Has anyone got a method of colouring them that can endure track cleaning?

Mike

Maybe try brown permanent marker?  Then you can redo them in seconds each time you clean the track. I might order one myself and have a go.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2018, 07:34:45 am »
A useful Sunday's work, I think.  Having started this thread about wheel and track standards:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41479.0

I had the idea of narrowing down the check rail clearances on Longfram to see what happened.  I have used this technique before to improve running on Peco code 55 frog crossings. I glued bits of 10 thou Microstrip along the inner edges of the checkrails, waited for them to harden and then trimmed and cleaned up to give a nice smooth check rail gap around 0.75mm.  They look a bit obtrusive so I will try the brown marker pen idea when I can get one.

I then eased out the back to backs to 7.6mm on a few vehicles and my BRCW type 2 and tried running trains. Straight away I had problems with the turnout closest to the level crossing, all the others were fine.  My turnouts are modified Finetrax with soldered rail crossings, the offending turnout was the first one I did and the gauge was down to 8.7mm in a couple of places.  I managed to rectify the worst of its problems although there is still a noticeable change in rail top levels just past the frog, you can stand a four wheeled wagon straddling the frog gap and it will rock on three wheels.  It's not as bad as it was though.

I also plugged in the computer to adjust the throw on one of the turnout operating servos which was not quite closing the point blades properly.  I have found that with the MERG 4 servo software, if you change the settings on one servo you have to redo the other three as well, otherwise when you save your new setting for the first servo it will wipe whatever you had programmed for the other three and replace it with a neutral default setting. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I now decided I needed a second loco, regauged my J39 and found that the tender drive would not run smoothly through turnouts no matter how much I fiddled with the back to backs.

Out with the digital caliper again (that thing has had a lot of use this weekend).  It is quite difficult to measure the width of wheel flanges in N gauge but the tender wheel flanges were visibly thicker than anything else on the layout (including the driving wheel flanges on the loco), around 0.6mm as best I could measure them, when everything else I could lay my hands on came out around 0.45mm.  Combined with slight inaccuracies in the dimensions of my track at a few critical points, that was enough to prevent smooth running.

In the end I pulled apart the wheelsets and turned down the wheel backs using a minidrill and file to take around 0.15mm off each one. The wheels are plated brass and easily fettled in this way.  I put it all back together (having adjusted the pickups) and now had a loco which ran fine on plain track but slipped to a standstill going through the turnouts.  After more fiddling I found that by opening up the back to backs and shifting the wheel positions very fractionally relative to the drive gears I had managed to set the thing up so that the gear on the centre axle was dropping out of mesh with the spur gear between it and the rear axle,  On the J39 the motor drives the rear axle with the other two being geared to it. So I only had one driven axle, not three.  A brass shim washer on the centre axle restored normal operation, and the J39 now runs better than ever.

In fact, the whole layout runs better than ever.  A lot of the rough running through pointwork that I put down to a warped track base, actually turns out to be a combination of inconsistent back to backs and a couple of easily fixed rail alignment issues.  Narrowing the check rail clearances has forced me to deal with these problems, and I am now getting the smooth ride through turnouts that I should have had to start with, even though the crossing gaps are still a little wider than they would be on turnouts built to  0.75mm check and wing rail clearances from the start.

If this layout is ever going to see the inside of an exhibition hall I will need to lift and replace the turnout opposite to the signal box and the track leading to it (across the level crossing).  That bit is never going to be quite right as it is.  I think that should be do-able although fiddly as I don't want to demolish the surrounding scenery and buildings.  For now trains are still running: one of the newfangled diesels, possibly on a crew training turn, awaits departure for Morpeth with a pair of Mk1s still in the old "blood and custard" livery.

Richard

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything