!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 210340 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1815 on: September 20, 2018, 06:55:40 pm »
Apologies for side tracking your build thread

Again, no need to apologise. If it's of general interest it's ok by me. I've learned so much from this forum.

I'm the world's messiest modeller. I found the trick with UHU is to use small matchstick sized cardboard offcuts and squeeze a tiny drop onto that and use it as a spatula to apply to the model.

I don't know what rocket glue is, but imagine it's out of this world.  :D

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1816 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:56 pm »
For applying very small drops of adhesive Metcalfe Ultra fine tip glue applicators work really well.  I use Deluxe Materials AD-11 Speedbond, but the applicators will work with any adhesive, including UHU.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1817 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:24 am »
And I like the house in the background too.  :thumbsup:

Er....it's a pub  :D

Thatís my kind of house.  :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1818 on: September 30, 2018, 08:45:50 pm »
The 'Observation Car' is an LMS design Inspection Saloon, Mike, originally produced for the NGS, and a very nice model. I think the ones modelled are the BR built examples but I'm not an expert on LMS design coaches. You got it for a very good price.

The two BR SR Green coaches are, indeed, BCKs but BR Standard (Mark 1) ones and not a Southern Railway design. The Graham Farish ones are from the batch S21263-S21275 (Lot 30732) (Diagram 172). (I have a lot of these from the Poole ones to the latest China-made ones.) They were the last BR Mark I BCKs, built in 1964, for BR SR for the "Atlantic Coast Express" which, however, did not run after 1964 as the WR cancelled it! They had yellow cantrail stripes over the 1st class section and Commonwealth bogies, as well as the circular BR coaching stock crest on their sides. (The older Graham Farish models had the BR Standard bogies and not the Commonwealth ones but plastic Commonwealth bogie kits do turn up on eBay.) So the BR circular crests are correct. Interestingly, not all the latest China-made ones have the yellow cantrail stripes over the 1st class section, e.g., S21272. Some, at least, had aluminium window frames and GF modelled one with these, too, S21275. Yours looks like S21279.

There are a few photos. of a Bulleid Light Pacific with a single coach. For example, 34110 "66 Squadron" on 16 May 1962, and 34033 "Chard", taken 17 May 1962, on the Winter timetable only return ECS working (arriving at 6.40pm, back at Wadebridge, where the loco. went on shed) of the unadvertised 6.13pm workmen's train from Wadebridge to Padstow formed of a Bulleid design brake end coach rather than a BR Standard one.

The one of a Bulleid Light Pacific with an Early BR Crest and original tender may be in North Devon on a Torrington portion of the "ACE"?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:50:31 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1819 on: September 30, 2018, 09:42:07 pm »
They were the last BR Mark I BCKs, built in 1964, for BR SR for the "Atlantic Coast Express" which, however, did not run after 1964 as the WR cancelled it!
So, assuming they didn't paint out the roundels, they could have been used anywhere in the system in 1965 :D

Thanks Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1820 on: October 01, 2018, 07:52:11 am »
The BR roundels certainly did not get painted out, Mike, until the coaches were repainted in BR Blue & Grey livery, in about 1967. They did have an interesting and varied existence. At first, they were used in the BR WR Waterloo-Exeter trains which replaced the former BR SR Waterloo-West Country through services. Many were 'Loose' (not allocated to fixed sets, so could appear anywhere) and, in June 1965, were converted from dual to electric train heating only for the Bournemouth line electrification. In the late 1960s, some sets used in boat train Ocean Liner services to Southampton Docks had one; so, another possible use?

I think you can regard your two, in BR SR Green, as 'loose' coaches, meaning they are not allocated to a specific set for specific services. Typically, such BCK coaches turned up in through branch portions of main line expresses, in special trains, and replacing other vehicles as required. I'd recommend looking for a BR SR Green Second (SK or SO), or two, to run inbetween them, as a special train.

Later, in the 1970s, but in BR Blue & Grey livery, some were used in the "Night Ferry", airbraked only, with UIC heating and replacement BR1 bogies. Hope this helps.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1821 on: October 01, 2018, 11:28:10 am »
Thanks Chris. Yes, they will be part of one of my "football specials" to keep everything within my WR 1965 theme  :D

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything