!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 39047 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:25:25 am »
It's been a while... due to a house move I had to sell my layout "Belstone" and found myself with almost no space for a new layout, and no time either.  But now things have settled down, and after selling off most of my bits and pieces I was left with a Farish 2MT, a J39 and some wagons, a Finetrax B6 turnout kit and a couple of lengths of track, and a box of scenic materials.  So last week I decided to try building the turnout kit, and after a few problems (you really need to read the instructions carefully at least twice before starting one of these kits) I ended up with a turnout which looks nice and appears to work.

So I have ordered a few more, along with some rail and chairplates. I managed to cut one of the switch rails about 1mm too short, and there isn't enough spare rail in the turnout kit to have another go.  The plan is for a minimalist branch terminus on two boards each 3' x 1' - just a run round loop and a couple of sidings. Scottish border country again, and heavily inspired by the Lauder Light Railway. Baseboards will be the same 12mm ply deep box construction as "Belstone" which I found to be very light and bombproof. The main aim is to finish off the development of my "Magpie" delayed action couplers, see if the Finetrax system gives the kind of smooth, reliable running I want, and of course give me something to do in the evenings. I have a deep need to hear tiny wheels running on tiny rails again.  More to follow once I get the baseboards built...

Richard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:42:47 am by belstone »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Teviotdale Light Railway
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Thanks for this new thread, Richard. If this layout looks as good as your previous one it will be very attractive indeed. I look forward to the updates.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:53:25 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:43:05 pm »
Glad things are a bit more settled now, Richard, and I look forward to seeing/hearing more about the TLR.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:35:49 pm »
Lauder itself would make a nice subject for a model and just about fit onto my 6x1 board with a little bit of compression, but there is one big problem.  Engines (in BR days) were ex-Great Eastern J67 0-6-0Ts, running with the side tanks empty and an ex North British tender behind for the water supply.  Yes, the line was so flimsy it wouldn't take the weight of a J67 with full tanks.  So unless one of the manufacturers is planning to release a J67 and hasn't told us yet, Lauder is out.  I suppose I could use the old early 1970s Farish model, but they weren't exactly famous for reliability even new.  But to give people an idea of the sort of thing I am looking at:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lauder/

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »
Hmm... J67s.  Wheelbase and wheel diameter are near enough identical to a J72, and Farish have one of those due out later this year. The old Farish Holden body looks pretty accurate although rather lacking in fine detail.  The tender would have to be scratchbuilt but I have one in 4mm that I can copy. So maybe Lauder is possible after all.

If I spent a tenth of the time building models that I spend thinking about them, I could have modelled Clapham Junction by now.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:36:37 am »
Epic beer-fuelled planning session on the dining room table last night.  6 x 1 isn't really minimalist at all.  I played around with some stock and found the plan will cope with loco, 8 wagons and brake van, or two coaches and a couple of vans, which is plenty.  Also found room to add another goods siding (track plan now very closely resembles Lauder), and came up with an ingenious cassette-type fiddle yard to reduce stock handling - I wasn't going to have a fiddle yard as such, just a length of plain track hidden by trees.

And then (after more beer) I had a think about the TLR "history".  I like my model railways to have a convincing reason to exist.  So - built 1901 under the Light Railways Act, mainly to serve various small stone quarries on either side of Upper Teviotdale.  From the North British station at Hawick the line meandered along the river bank, parallel to what is now the A7, to the terminus at Teviothead (about eight miles from Hawick).  By 1930 all the quarries had been worked out, and the new bus service from Hawick to Langholm killed the passenger trade. The future of the line looked bleak, with just a twice-weekly goods service transporting livestock, house coal and the odd vanload of provisions.

Then in 1940 the Ministry of Tinned Foodstuffs established a depot at Teviothead to safeguard the nation's supplies of Spam and condensed milk from the threat of German bombers.  Vanloads of Spam were transported by rail to the depot for storage.  This continued well after the end of the war, until 1958 when the whole idea was abandoned and the depot closed down, swiftly followed by the railway.  (And if you think that is just beer-fuelled fantasy, the Lauder branch survived until 1958 for exactly the same reason, except that the Food Buffer Depot there stored flour and powdered milk rather than Spam.)

So now I just need to decide what a Spam unloading dock would look like. 

Richard

Offline McRuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:50:42 am »
Hello Richard,

I wish you a good progress and much fun with building your Teviotdale Light Railway.

Markus

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 12:05:29 pm »
What a smashing history :)
Strangely that post has also appeared in my e mail spam box :confused1:

Offline Pete Smith

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 02:02:19 pm »
A strategic spam reserve, that will get the conspiracy theorists going. may i suggest a bricked up tunnel or two?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »
may i suggest a bricked up tunnel or two?

No bad idea. We can't allow the spam to be frittered away :no: :-X

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:11:01 pm »
 :laughabovepost: 

:NGaugersRule:  John

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »
No actual modelling to report (give me time) but I have been playing around a bit with the track plan to make more of a feature of the Spam depot.  Most of these places used Romney buildings (basically giant Nissen huts) and I reckon I can get a couple of these in at one end which will help hide the fiddle yard area. Since Food Buffer Depots were supposed to be secret I haven't found any photos of them in use, so I don't know how wagons were shunted in and out of the buildings.  Steam locos and food do not go well together.  Possibly barrier wagons were used, or adapted tractors, horses (although they might have tried to eat the stored food) or maybe even small petrol or diesel shunters.  Motorising a Hibberd Planet shunter in "N" would be an interesting challenge. I'll worry about that after I have worked out how to build giant Nissen huts.

The last Food Buffer Depots closed in 1995 and I reckon one of these facilities would make a brilliant space filler for a corner of an oval layout, make a change from the usual factory or dairy anyway.  I'll draw my track plan, scan it and post it up so people can see what I'm up to.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 04:06:11 pm »
Since Food Buffer Depots were supposed to be secret I haven't found any photos of them in use, so I don't know how wagons were shunted in and out of the buildings.

Sounds like another job for Muldur and Scully :uneasy:

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:41:09 pm »

So now I just need to decide what a Spam unloading dock would look like. 

Richard

I would imagine it would be mostly staffed by Nigerian Princes and the like.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:17:08 pm »
I'm starting to think people aren't taking my rail-served Spam depot seriously  :D

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here