!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Trains PFA/KFA container wagons  (Read 26627 times)

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Trains PFA/KFA container wagons
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2018, 07:31:01 pm »
Hi @dmck123 , if itís any help, I have ordered 3 from ďVersion 5Ē (Tiphook Blue with Black Bogies) on the basis that I was advised, earlier on this thread, that they could be run with Triple Grey or Triple Grey with Beasties 92s.

This should cover the timeframe you mention.

Skyline2uk

Offline dmck123

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
Thanks for that. It sounds like it should fit with the time period I am modelling, the 92s were mainly towed up the WCML in tripple Grey during the late 90s (I believe something to do with the OHL power supply of the WCML). 

Offline SteveB1510

• N Gauge Society Number: 27753
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: September 13, 2018, 12:28:07 pm »
In a similar theme to the above question, can anyone ID the container flats in the above pic?
https://flic.kr/p/WmPyTT

Are they (Version 5) KFAs, or something else?

In addition to the Freightliner rake Iíve already got on order, Iím now tempted to maybe some Hoyer tanktainers too to mix in a typical EWS/DBS wagonload service like this, but not sure if the KFAs would be appropriate for this, or if Iíd be better sticking them on some Graham Farish intermodal twin wagons?

Thanks, Steve

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »
Sorry I don't know what the container flats on StevenB1510's picture - I searched on the headcode but that headcode covers a lot of varied wagon workings!

On a different note I was reading the Rail Express Formations bookazine last night and noticed that the Tiphook blue KFA with yellow GPS bogies appears a lot on MoD workings! Not something I'd particularly noticed before.

Cheers, Mike

Offline SteveB1510

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
Sorry I don't know what the container flats on StevenB1510's picture - I searched on the headcode but that headcode covers a lot of varied wagon workings!

On a different note I was reading the Rail Express Formations bookazine last night and noticed that the Tiphook blue KFA with yellow GPS bogies appears a lot on MoD workings! Not something I'd particularly noticed before.

Cheers, Mike

No problem Mike, thanks for the reply.  The workings in question ran (usually overnight, so not many photos about on Flickr etc) between Mossend, Carlisle & Warrington as 6M76 and 6X52, although some of the traffic (cars etc) would have come from further afield.  Some of these flats also appeared on the 6X65 car service to Mossend (alongside IPAs amongst others) on occasion.  My suspicion is that they may be some kind of twin wagons rather than KFAs as they seem to be an even number of them, suggesting theyíre running in pairs.  Iíve put another pic and a couple of videos below to see if they might help anymore in IDing the flat wagons?

https://flic.kr/p/kWRmHV
https://youtu.be/oe5gsfbr0WQ
https://youtu.be/KexeOLEy55o

Thanks, Steve

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2018, 01:36:39 pm »
Hi Steve

Looking at the first video, the wagons just behind the 66 look to me to be of the spine variety (possibly of the type offered by Dapol), they donít have the floor plan of the PFA/KFAs.

The car wagons look to be the IPAs proposed by Revolution though?

Skyline2uk

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:38 pm »
My suspicion is that on some of the photos they are Megafrets (as made by Dapol) rather than Multifrets (FIA/IFA as made by Farish). DB certainly used/use both their own Megafrets (which are different to the Dapol model) and those hired in from what was AAE (now part of VTG IIRC).

Cheers, Mike

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2018, 04:35:06 pm »
DB/EWS's own Megafrets are FKAs, as opposed to the IKA made by Dapol (I suspect a maroon IKA would be near indistinguishable once loaded with boxes!). EWS don't use the FEA spine wagons as made by Dapol, but they do use Ecofrets (FWAs IIRC)

Nearly impossible to tell from those photos what they actually are though, need a better image.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:36:08 pm by njee20 »

Offline SteveB1510

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
DB/EWS's own Megafrets are FKAs, as opposed to the IKA made by Dapol (I suspect a maroon IKA would be near indistinguishable once loaded with boxes!). EWS don't use the FEA spine wagons as made by Dapol, but they do use Ecofrets (FWAs IIRC)

Nearly impossible to tell from those photos what they actually are though, need a better image.
hh

Thanks again for the replies everyone.  I suspect njee20 might be correct that these wagons are likely FKA twins as they usually seem to run in even numbers.  I guess the only definitive answer will be if I can find out a consist list or two for these workings in the near future.

Assuming they are FKAs, I guess an alternative option would be to use a pair of weathered Dapol megafrets - assuming the Tank Tainers will fit onto them properly in due course.  Alternatively of course, I could just invoke rule 1 & order another couple of KFAs for this purpose before the order deadline closes.  Decisions, decisions...

Thanks,

Steve

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2018, 02:29:38 pm »
Dunno why I hadn't watched the videos :doh:

The second video appears to have a pair of unloaded FKAs at the back (in front of the IPAs) - they're lower floor, but only have 45' of loading deck. The others all appear to be FCAs - which are EWS's spine wagons, similar to the FEAs that GBRF and FL use. Again - given they're usually filthy and covered with boxes you could invoke rule 1 and either go for KFAs, or use FEAs and paint them maroon, then cover them in dirt!

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2018, 10:38:16 pm »
EWS don't use the FEA spine wagons as made by Dapol, but they do use Ecofrets (FWAs IIRC)

Hi all,

Strictly speaking that is correct in that Dapol have only done Freightliner and GBRf FEA-Bs in N, but DB (previously EWS) do operate some (or maybe all?) of the ex-Fastline FEA-Bs.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline SteveB1510

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »
EWS don't use the FEA spine wagons as made by Dapol, but they do use Ecofrets (FWAs IIRC)

Hi all,

Strictly speaking that is correct in that Dapol have only done Freightliner and GBRf FEA-Bs in N, but DB (previously EWS) do operate some (or maybe all?) of the ex-Fastline FEA-Bs.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2018, 04:29:58 pm »
Hopefully Iím not stepping on toes, but just an FYI that RevolutioN have announced on their website that the order book is closing October 14th, thanks Mike and Ben for another model coming to fruition.

Now off to harass work to get get my paycheck in so I can pay off the IZAs.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2018, 06:51:18 pm »

Hello all,

Yes, beat me to it!

The order deadline for the PFA/KFA container flats is midnight on Sunday October 14th 2018.

Rapido have indicated that the 00 tankers are almost ready for shipping and we have been told the KFAs are next in line. 

To minimise any "lag" between production runs I understand the factory likes to get the PO in a little early so they can order in materials, paint etc and have them on site ready to begin.

Cheers

Ben A.

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2018, 07:04:19 pm »
A quick reminder to anyone wanting to build a HOCT (High Output Concrete Train) using my Sapeways print, now is the time to order a black Network rail KFA  :)

The print is available already on Shapeways and the price includes etches and transfers.  The model can also be built with Shapeways printed KFA prints but it wont look so good  :D

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here