!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: G W R Railcars  (Read 2439 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: G W R Railcars
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 10:52:24 am »
What sort of speeds did these units run at i.e. was it 'Express Parcels' or 'Snail Mail'?

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: G W R Railcars
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 11:13:11 am »
What sort of speeds did these units run at i.e. was it 'Express Parcels' or 'Snail Mail'?

The streamlined unit was built for 80mph operation and the angular unit 70mph. How often they needed this in regular use I am not sure. Their normal duties were the Thames valley routes into Paddington. They took the parcels traffic that had formerly been loaded into stopping trains allowing these trains to reduce dwell times at stations. As such I suspect that acceleration was more important than top speed.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything