!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wealden Cement  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Gavin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20062
    • Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
Wealden Cement
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:55:00 pm »
For my next layout I wanted something a little bit different to operate and having seen some pictures of the Exchange sidings at Tring in a magazine last year I decided that a Cement works was just the thing.  Now I want it to be able to run a variety of periods so will have to do some research and whilst I accept I'll need a load of Presflo's I didnt want to have to buy too many locomotives so will set this in the Southern Region when I already have some stock and will ideally be able to run this from the late 50's to the 90's .  I live near Shoreham Cement works and the backscene will be somewhat similar I think although I do have a lot of confer trees from an earlier layout that I would like to reuse

The layout will be based on an 8 by 2"6'  pair of baseboards so they fit in my study. As I want to exhibit this in two modes its been built to exhibit  within the WSNG standards as well as having its own return boards and fiddle yard extension taking the layout overall to 10 by 3 or thereabouts.  It will be DCC operated in the main but WSNG use DC so there will be some switching and additional isolation on the boards to cater for that

The layout will be based on a cement works situated next to a southern region main line. The main line will be 3rd rail eventually so it aligns with Crawley Yard.  The concept is that incoming trains will arrive on the slow line (inner) pass the entrance to the exchange sidings and then stop.  They will then reverse into the exchange sidings crossing the internal loop over the slip and deposit the train of either Presflo or tankers. The main line engine can then either exit back onto the main line or onto the layout loop and return to the integral Fiddle yard .  Shunters will then come and collect the wagons for either filling or storage on the works sidings.  The plan includes a number of places for the shunters to run around the stock for pulling and propelling the wagons around. I'm planning to use the Dapol magnetic couplings throughout having used these on Sturminster Halt fairly successfully.  I want to create a feeling of size and complexity in the cement works so want the viewer to have to look through the buildings to see the loading and sidings at the rear of the scenic area.

Since originally posting in layout planning last year i've been working away on the plans and now have a revision below. This moves the yard shed to the left hand board and provides another pair of loading sidings at the rear of the layout.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:33:08 am by Tank »

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wealden Cement
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:03:32 pm »
Blimey, that looks ambitious!  :o

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:49:47 pm »
The first picture below shows the baseboard ends. The main boards are 6mm birch ply mounted on Pine frames deep (95mm) deep so that the cobalt point motors are protected during transit. The end you can see is where the boards join to the next board. So I can get some below track depth to the layout the track is to be laid on a double thickness of 5mm Foamboard (white). This is relatively cheap from our local Art outlet (not a model shop!) with Sundela scraps left from Sturminster going to be used for where the track butts up together at each end

As the White is a bit bright i've toned this down with some grey poster paint and started to lay out the points in the approximate position to get a feel for the plan in space. The backscene is 3mm ply and at the moment squared at the corners. Once I've got the backscene configuration done i may add some curve to the corners but these will fit inside the existing ends as these form the protection for travelling. The Pink wires are the frog wires extended for running to the cobalts once the points are fitted.

In this layout I've started to put the chains together for the exchange sidings. this is critical as I want to be able to get at lease 8 Presflo's plus the break van into the exchange sidings and so getting the leading point from the main lines as close to the central board join is key. Whilst the plan has been built using AnyRail and the correct track components nothing beats laying this out with the real track components. Iv'e managed to squeeze an extra 3-4 inches out on the exchange sidings from the plan so very happy  with that.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:40:36 am by Caz, Reason: Edited tags - no other tags needed with smg id tag as it corrupts the display »

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:22:41 am »
Good luck with this project - I'll be watching it closely.

I too seem to have centred around the Cement industry with a layout of a manufacturing plant initially (now defunct) and then of the exchange sidings at Northfleet in North Kent.

When Blue circle built the works in Northfleet they actually built the rail network as two large loops.  The exchange sidings which beside the main North Kent line went down an incline and looped under the main line through a tunnel and into the works.  The inner loop ran over a coal discharge point then over gypsum discharge point.  The outer loop ran under the cement loading facility.  There was no marshalling of trains in the works.

The exchange sidings had two inbound roads and a single outbound road plus a couple of sidings with a gantry crane. And oh yes! A cripple siding which had the same crippled open wagon on it for a decade...

So as I say - good luck, I'll be watching with interest..

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »
Some might say sadly but I have joined the cement works in Britain Flickr group

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1542201@N24/

I have been using these pictures for inspiration and will refer to them more and more as  I get into the modelling, just went back to refresh myself as to what was there and found this one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/7415795282/   The tunnel entrance is just what I was looking for to exit the track into the Fiddle yard on the main board. I was toying with the idea of using the tunnel entrance at Amberley Museum but this looks much better.

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 08:22:35 pm »
I have most of the track down provisionally now and some of the building shells created to start to get the look and feel right.  The buildings are the second iteration of some of them as the first ones were a little to large. These will get a first coat of paint and be reinforced and then when I have all of them in place will be put to one side to glue the track down and start the electrics. Actually maybe electrics first just to test everything but as I haven't got the point motors yet that may take a while. The building at the front was based on an unloading shed at I think Dumfires. It looks over large and I'm not overly happy with the shape so next job will be to rebuild in a smaller size,  but probably the same building as it will suit that unloading loop well I think.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:51 pm »
very interesting plan.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:48:18 pm »
Don't forget that wherever you site the goods shed you'll need road access to/from it!

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »
Looking very good! :greatpicturessign:
Kindest Regards
Phil

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
Status Update
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »
Been a while but being getting on with a range of different tasks. I've had more challenges getting my photo's sorted and uploaded than the modelling.

The Fiddle-yard on the boards now has it's track down, this is a 4 track yard as the majority of the interest should be shunting rather than services on the inner loop. This is code 55 and mounted on Foam board the same as the front of scene. The blocks front and back are for a shelf which will host the computer and controller as well as tea.

The image below is the coal unload shed connected to a conveyor to get the coal off to the Kilns. Also done some work on the storage silos with input and output towers completed and the output bay. These are a mixture of corrugated card, foam board balsa wood and plastic bits from the spares box.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:56:21 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Fixed incorrect image code »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:36:53 pm »
Looks very good indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 10:33:19 pm »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: looking good thanks for sharing
regards Derek.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 06:53:03 am »
Looks great.  We're having trouble with the images uploading at the moment.  :(  I'm working on it.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 08:30:08 am »
Get the feeling this is going to be another N Gauge Forum epic layout, really looking forward to seeing this develop.  :thumbsup:

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:26 pm »
Get the feeling this is going to be another N Gauge Forum epic layout, really looking forward to seeing this develop.  :thumbsup:

Exactly that! Where would we be without them  :D Really is looking fantastic!
Regards
Phil

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything