!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol IOA's  (Read 986 times)

Offline geoffc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
Dapol IOA's
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:29:08 pm »
Last year I bought ten IOA's for my new layout, I have just finished the layout and got the IOA's out of their boxes. All the couplings are pointing upwards and when I fit the supplied knuckle couplers there is a hugh variation in height so much so that they will not stay coupled up. When coupled to a loco using Rapido couplings as it turns as they pass over a set of points the coupling on the wagon hits the buffers on the loco and throws the wagon off the track. I can see what the fault is, the pin on the inside of the coupling is pushing it down and raising the front. I can not remove the chassis as the wire connecting the brake wheels is in the way and can not be removed. Has anybody else had the same problem?

Geoff

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol IOA's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:46:43 pm »
I have similar issues with mine. there is too much play in the couplings that they disconnect in use, the other thing I notice is there is a lot of wheel friction so they don't roll freely like they constantly have the break on

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
I have had problems with JNAs which are similar.

They were de-railing on curves and over points. The problem is the close coupling system was sticking in the metal casing slots on the underside of the wagon. A little loco oil helped a lot but they are still very temperamental. It is a shame Dapol cannot get this right as these are very nice wagons and priced well at 19

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:00 am »
I've been collecting IOAs and JNAs over the past year.

Not been run yet, but will get them out tonight and run them on my test track.

See what happens.

If there is an issue I can see it being the same with the newly awaited MJAs and HIAs when they come out.

Pity as Dapol are still keeping the modern image bogie wagons at a reasonable cost whilst other manufacturers are hitting the 30 mark.

Ron

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:08:11 am »
I am finding because they don't roll freely this is causing the wagons to uncouple, I think it would have to look into it maybe brass fitings inside the bogie. Anyone any other suggestions?

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:01:52 pm »
The JNAs I have are free running, not sure if the bogies are different from the IOAs

Offline Vonzack

• N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
Please don't think this is Dapol Bashing, just my experience with the IOAs

I've had a rake of these since they were released and still haven't gotten them to run correctly. In fact I took them to run at TINGS 2015 and nearly ended up throwing them one by one at the Dapol stand  :D

I swapped my couplings for the provided dummy knuckles and even though the coupling heights weren't too different, pulling the rake into the fiddle yard across the points was a nightmare with constant derailments. The first problem is that they are quite heavy and that puts extra strain on the couplings, any more than seven wagons in my experience and the derailments start. I noticed that when I had more than seven wagons, the couplings, as they move from side to side would reach a point where they lock and as the wagons followed each other through the point work or onto a straight piece of track, the leading or trailing wagon is just pulled from the rails.

You can test this by simply grabbing a coupling at one end of the wagon, pulling it slightly to provide tension and then move it through its full range of motion from right to left. You will see that at a certain point the coupling stops travelling and will lock.

Looking closer at the couplings there seems to be a 'V' cut out in the chassis and on my wagons the couplings seem to lock either side of the point in the 'V' when under sufficient tension. I wanted to try and take the point off the 'V' round it somehow, hoping this would allow the couplings their full motion, but then fell fowl of trying to dismantle the wagon. The other issue is that once you take the tip off the 'V', it would then allow the coupling to move forward and as the NEM socket is attached to a kind of flat bar to keep it level, under tension this would just prevent the coupling from moving as well.

The only way I can see to fix the problem is to chop off the original couplers and replace them with some kind of hook and loop arrangement, but this means your moving away from standard couplings.

I really hope Dapol aren't going to use this design for the MJAs and HIAs as it's just not fit for purpose and was obviously never tested properly before release.

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 04:51:21 pm »
Well after some adjustments to these today I finally got them to run without issues and I only got 3 off them. To solve the rolling issue I have to bend the bogies so there was not so much pressure on the wheels. This had actually solved most to the derailments and uncoupling issues I have had. Will be fun when the others I ordered turn up on my doorstep.  :uneasy:

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
I have only 3 JNAs and the drop of loco oil on the V slot and where the front of the draw bar moves from side to side in the recess just behind the buffers seems to have helped greatly. Still getting the occasional de-railing. No problem with coupler height not aligning.

Offline kirky

• N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:48 pm »
Presumably people are talking about running IOAs with other IOAs and JNAs, that is mixed rakes of dapol wagons?
In my experience life gets even more interesting (read annoying) if you stick some Farish wagons in the rakes. The inconsistency in coupling tolerances of dapol rolling stock is ridiculuous. Ive spent hours fetling in order to get them to run well, but the success rate is limited.
Its not just IOAs and JNAs. Lots of other dapol wagaons cause issues; megafrets (but not spines), ferry wagons, sliding hood wagons, and mark 3 coaches to name but a few.
Tacky wax helps sometimes.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:57 pm »
Got my 6 no JNAs out all with there upward facing couplings.

Gave them a wiggle in all directions to loosen them up.

Set them on my test track. Coupled to the GF DRS 57 and gave them a whirl.

Before 1 full circuit the loco had uncoupled itself.

A bit of jiggery pokery and all was well for numerous loops in both directions.

Did notice the couplings were starting to angle upwards on a couple of wagons as time went on.

When switched to to the inner loop which is tighter radius then I got the wagons starting to lift as the came of the points onto the curves.

To me seems with the couplings lifting at an angle above the buffer level means they clip the buffers when hitting the curves.

Made a big difference when I added weight to the wagons.

Mine are definetaly not as free running as my GF MOAs

Ron

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here