!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.  (Read 39273 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.
« Reply #675 on: September 20, 2018, 10:22:04 pm »
Oh man!
I think I missed a wonderful opportunity yesterday  :'(

Rich, you're living in same state, you have no excuse for not visiting me!!

Dats

Hi Dats, yes it's a shame you could not attend, but if you can't get vacation time what can you do. I completely understand, I have to schedule my vacation time around 250 other people, so I know how that goes  :(

From my house to your house is about a 6 hour drive one way. A 12 hour drive round trip is just a little too far for a day trip for me. Although if I'm ever out that way on vacation, I'd really like to stop in for a visit.

Now that you're in Pennsylvania, maybe we can meet at the 2019 N-Scale Weekend in Altoona PA. The dates for the show have already been set for August 3 & 4, 2019. The show is held every year at the Altoona Jaffa Center, 2200 Broad Ave, Altoona, PA 16601. Save your pennies now as there are always a lot of vendors selling just about anything and everything in N scale. You'll also see some new products from Attending manufactures like Micro-Trains, CMR Products and Scale Trains just to name a few.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #676 on: September 20, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »
As long as this thread has strayed a bit from N scale topics, and just to let you guys know that the eastern US isn't the only place with curvy railroad tracks, here are some photos of the Big Ten Curve, an S-curve just west of Denver.  I took the photos while I was on the California Zephyr last month on a trip to Salt Lake City.

Hi Tom, Yes a trip on the California Zephyr through the Moffat tunnel is on my bucket list. Does the Amtrak California Zephyr still use the "Inside Gateway" through the "Feather River Canyon" or has the CZ been diverted over Donner Pass?

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline edwardstd

• Modelling the C&NW's Alco Line
    • Awards
« Reply #677 on: September 20, 2018, 10:38:17 pm »
Yup - Donner Pass. Hopefully Amtrak will still be in the long distance train business after the first of the year. They are making noises about dropping the CZ, replacing part of the Southwest Chief route (Chicago - LA) with a "bus bridge", etc...

:censored:
Tom Edwards
C&NW "Alco Line" and M&StL in N scale
http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

Offline 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #678 on: September 21, 2018, 07:07:17 am »
As long as this thread has strayed a bit from N scale topics, and just to let you guys know that the eastern US isn't the only place with curvy railroad tracks, here are some photos of the Big Ten Curve, an S-curve just west of Denver. (https://goo.gl/maps/J1rSar2VRiT2) I took the photos while I was on the California Zephyr last month on a trip to Salt Lake City. The first two are of the westbound climb up out of Denver and the third is descending into Denver on the return trip. I was in the last car on the train so it was fairly easy to get shots of the entire consist, what with all of the curves on that line.

:D

Continuing the thread drift.......Back in 1999 I went on an organised railfan trip that started in Denver and finished up in Salt Lake City. One of the stops on the first day (en route to the Georgetown Loop RR) was at a location west of Denver on the line up to the Moffat tunnel called Coal Creek Canyon, where there was a significant grade on a U curve. A couple of photos I took at that location are shown below.....

Ex CNW loco # 8820 & UP #8084 lead a coal train downgrade.

With a SP loco trailing on the rear of the same train.

Can't remember how long we stayed there before moving on, but we did see the Westbound Amtrak service, which was followed closely behind by the westbound American Orient Express which was operating at that time.

Offline edwardstd

• Modelling the C&NW's Alco Line
    • Awards
« Reply #679 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:03 am »
Yup - Coal Creek Canyon is the next horseshoe turn west of the Big Ten Curve. I missed taking photos of that location as I think that I might have been downstairs in the lounge car with a refreshing adult beverage.  :beers:

The only way to travel!  :thumbsup:

Tom Edwards
C&NW "Alco Line" and M&StL in N scale
http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: September 21, 2018, 06:03:35 pm »
Fantastic photos, guys!!!
Keep coming please and especially if you have any information or photos of Espee, please share with me here.

Rich, I didn't know that they have a N scale meet!
I hardly attend any show so this might be great opportunity for me.

Tom and 70000, it looks so steep on those grade.
Amazing that a long heavy train can negotiate that!!

For modelling side, I won a bid on eBay!! :laugh3: :claphappy:
I'm a Digitrax throttle owner now!
I haven't received it yet and I can't wait!! :heart2:
One problem here.... I just found out that the throttle is really old model and unrepairable when it breaks.  :doh: :o
Well, that's only one I could afford. No wonder it was so cheap. :hmmm:
Hopefully it'll last for a long time.
I'll report it back to you when I receive it.

Dats

This picture is nothing to do with above posting but since I have in my iPod, here you go.

Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #681 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

For modelling side, I won a bid on eBay!! :laugh3: :claphappy:
I'm a Digitrax throttle owner now!
I haven't received it yet and I can't wait!! :heart2:
One problem here.... I just found out that the throttle is really old model and unrepairable when it breaks.  :doh: :o

Dats

This picture is nothing to do with above posting but since I have in my iPod, here you go.

Dats, Very nice weathering job on the PFE reefer.  :thumbsup:

Which Digitrax throttle did you win? Was it the DT100? If yes, I own two DT100's, they are now 19 years old and still work OK. The left knob from time to time acts up a little, but I just turn it clockwise then counter clockwise a few times in rapid succession and then it's OK.

To add more flexibility to your layout,
You can purchase 2 Digitrax UP5 https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/digitrax/digitrax-up5-loconet-universal-interconnect-panel/
And this Loconet cable double pack https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/digitrax/Digitrax-LNC162-16-LocoNet-Cables-2-Pack/
So that you can add a throttle plug in port near the team track and add another throttle plug in port by the poo-grow facility.
That would give you total flexibility.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:25:41 pm by Rich_S »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: September 24, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
Yay!!

Yes, Rich. You guessed it right.
It's an old model but High-tech enough for my Low-tech layout!
Problem is I don't know how to use it.
I downloaded a manual from Digitrax site but it's a combined instructions and not sure all those buttons.
I could run trains though.
Naturally I don't even know all functions are OK or not because this is a used throttle.
That's what happens when a Low-tech guy try to be a cool High-tech gizmo guy.

OK, question one:
Do I need to put a battery all the time? (I always plug it into my Zephyr.)
When Zephyr is off, the throttle still on. Says "idle".

Question two:
When I turn off the Zephyr completely and turn it on again, the throttle, seems like, doesn't acquire the same address without resetting Zephyr's loco address.

Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about myself so I don't know how you guys can help me but if you have an experience with Digitrax DT 100, please let me know.

A Low-tech layout owner
Dats

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #683 on: September 24, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »
I just found the answer to question #1 on the manual.  :doh:
I still don't know how to use a lot of button thingies.

Dats

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #684 on: September 24, 2018, 10:41:49 pm »
I just found the answer to question #1 on the manual.  :doh:
I still don't know how to use a lot of button thingies.

Dats

Hi Dats, the throttle seems confusing at first but it's really not that bad. Looking at the buttons left to right on the top row.
The button with the blue F0 below the button is how you turn the headlights on or off.
The button with the word "MODE" above it is used to setup consists, we'll get back to that later.
The button with the word "SEL" above it is used to select an decoder address.
First you have to choose which knob you want to use and yes you can have a locomotive assigned to the left knob and a different locomotive assigned to the right knob.

Let's start with the right knob. Turn the right knob counter clockwise a half turn to select it. Then Press the SEL (Select) button once and the small dot in the screen below the word "LOCO" begins to blink.  Now turn the right knob clockwise until you select a two digit address you want to use. With the address is selected pres the "SEL" button and that two digit address will be selected on the right knob.

Repeat for selecting a two digit address on the left knob.

Now selecting a 4 digit addresses.
Choose which knob you want to use and select it by turning it a half turn counter clockwise. Press the "SEL" button, now using the left knob, turn the left knob until the red light is illuminated beside the word "EXP"  Now select the left two digits of the four digit number with the left knob and select the right two digits with the right knob when all four numbers are selected in the view window, press the "SEL" button.

Ok, now the buttons on the bottom row, starting left to right.
The left button with the letter "L" and double arrow is the direction button for the left knob. When the left knob is in the forward direction, the light beside the knob will be flashing green. When in the reverse direction the knob will be flashing red.

This is also a good time to bring up the point, to know which knob is the selected knob, look to see which one has it's direction indication flashing.
Now don't misunderstand, I can set two different locomotives one to the left knob and one to the right knob. I can start the locomotive on the right knob moving
around the layout, then turn the left knob and it will now be the selected knob, but the engine on the right knob will continue moving at it's selected speed step.

Moving on with the bottom row of buttons.
Next button is a triangle pointing up with a plus sign "+" in the triangle, this button will increase the locomotive speed on the selected knob.
Next button is a triangle pointing down with a minus sign "-" in the triangle, this button will decrease the locomotive speed on the selected knob.
The right button is the direction button for the right knob.

Now you'll notice below the bottom row of buttons you'll see F3/F7  F1/F5  F2/F6  F4/F8 These selections only become important when you purchase a locomotive with sound.
The Function "FUNC" button on the top row allows you to toggle between the two options.
I would not worry about these until you become more comfortable with using the throttle.

One last thing, Holding down on the red "RUN STOP" button will cause all locomotives on the layout to stop. "
Holding down on the RUN STOP button plus pressing the triangle down "-" minus button will remove power from the track.
Holding down on the RUN STOP button plus pressing the triangle up "+" plus button will apply power to the track.

When power is removed from the track, the two lights by the left and right knob will turn yellow.

To answer your other question, you don't need a 9 volt battery in your throttle. I've never put one in my throttle and it works just fine.

Now onto the MODE button. To MU two or more locomotives together, the lead locomotive has to be assigned to the right knob.
All trailing locomotives have to be assigned to the left knob. Also remember to set the proper direction so the locomotives run the same direction once MU'd together. 

When you have the first two locomotives assigned to the left and right knob, press the "MODE" until the little dot in the screen is below the word "MU" then press the
up arrow "+" button.

To break apart or undo a MU consist, same as above except press the down arrow "-" button.

I hope this helps? After you've used the throttle for awhile, you'll find it's easy to use. The directions sound complicated, but it's really not that bad.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #685 on: September 24, 2018, 11:25:35 pm »
Wow, Rich!!
Thank you very much!!
I'll use this as an instruction sheet!
I'd like to ask you (or anybody) one more question if you don't mind.

I'm using two digits addressing.
When I turned off my Zephyr and turned the power back on, the throttle would not acquire the same address loco which I left it there before I turn it off.
It seems like the address is "in use".
I pushed the sel/set button and selected the address. Now, when I push the sel/set button again for acquiring the loco, it would go back to sell/set screen.
I have to use Zephyr to steel the address and change it again before DT100 to successfully get the address.
Is this throttle broken or that's the way it is?

Thank you very much vin advance!

Dats

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2018, 12:29:04 am »
Wow, Rich!!
Thank you very much!!
I'll use this as an instruction sheet!
I'd like to ask you (or anybody) one more question if you don't mind.

I'm using two digits addressing.
When I turned off my Zephyr and turned the power back on, the throttle would not acquire the same address loco which I left it there before I turn it off.
It seems like the address is "in use".
I pushed the sel/set button and selected the address. Now, when I push the sel/set button again for acquiring the loco, it would go back to sell/set screen.
I have to use Zephyr to steel the address and change it again before DT100 to successfully get the address.
Is this throttle broken or that's the way it is?

Thank you very much vin advance!

Dats

Hi Dats, It's not the throttle, it's probably the way your Zephyr is setup. I don't have a Zephyr, I have a DB150 command station. Try this before shutting down your Zephyr, on your DT100, press the "SEL" button once, then press the "MODE" button once. This will dispatch the locomotive address (aka release it back to the Zephyr) Then shut down. When you start the Zephyr back up, you should be able to acquire the the locomotive on your DT100 by pressing the "SEL" button once? 

Something I just though of after pressing the post button. Be sure you don't have the same address on the Zephyr as on the DT100. You can't have two devices on the LocoNet trying to use the same address. If you have the same loco number on the Zephyr and the DT100, that's probably the problem. Just select another loco number or all zeros on the Zephyr. Let us know what you find?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:42:20 am by Rich_S, Reason: Added Aditional information »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2018, 08:28:44 am »
Just stumbled across this build, first post is great and the layout looks ingenious. When I have my midmorning cuppa I'll be sure to check out your videos! 😎
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #688 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:19 pm »
Hi Rich

Thank you very much again for the information.
I made sure that Zephyr doesn't have the same # as I acquire the address but it doesn't let me "set" to it. It would go back to "sel" indication.
Since it doesn't have a "steal" button, I can't not reacquire the same loco without using Zephyr.
As long as the throttle is not broken, I don't mind doing extra steps.
But I don't have an opportunity to test it anywhere so I don't know what is the status of my throttle.
How do you think?

Hi Ted

Thank you for visiting my N size Low-tech layout!
Please let me know how you are doing in your modelling world!

Dats

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #689 on: September 25, 2018, 10:11:38 pm »
Hi Rich

Thank you very much again for the information.
I made sure that Zephyr doesn't have the same # as I acquire the address but it doesn't let me "set" to it. It would go back to "sel" indication.
Since it doesn't have a "steal" button, I can't not reacquire the same loco without using Zephyr.
As long as the throttle is not broken, I don't mind doing extra steps.
But I don't have an opportunity to test it anywhere so I don't know what is the status of my throttle.
How do you think?

Hi Ted

Thank you for visiting my N size Low-tech layout!
Please let me know how you are doing in your modelling world!

Dats

Hi Dats, this is a little odd.

First question, are you plugging your DT100 into LocoNet Port A or LocoNet Port B? If you're plugging into Port A, try Port B.

Next Question, If you put a 9 volt battery into your DT100, unplug the DT100 from your Zephyr then take the battery out of the DT100.
Your DT100 does not require a battery, the battery is only required when you're using IR or Radio operations and that requires extra equipment.

Next Question, when you plug your DT100 into your Zephyr LocoNet Port B, what does the DT100 Display read? Does it read SE:L -

If yes, press the "SEL" key once, dial in the number you want to select, then press the "SEL" key once. Is there an address now selected on the Right Knob?
Is the Green or Red light now lit by the Right knob?

Cheers,
Rich S.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
October Donations

Advertise Here