!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.  (Read 11892 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2016, 01:48:02 am »
Merry Christmas to you Dats.

Santa is going to need 1500 hp these days to pull his sleigh. There are many more kids who each get many more presents than 100 years ago. Funny that you should post your picture of Rudolph as I was proposing to do something similar to my Bachmann ten-wheeler (G gauge), but ran out of time.

Webbo

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:36 pm »
A 1500 horse power Reindeer.

Merry Christmas!

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours Dats!

Mike

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:01 pm »
Hello everyone.

First post in 2017.
I'm thinking of extending my layout. The extension would be 12" x40". When I attach the portion, my layout is going to be C shape.
I'd like to include at least two industrial sidings and LA version of a creek with concrete walls.  I think it's called "wash".
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/terryviews/2700939831/in/set-72157606457973152/
I'm also thinking of having a road but when I think about doing switching moves, the road might be just a pain to deal with.
Anyway I want to come up with a plan before March.
Hopefully I can show you the benchwork by February.
At the moment, I'm not using any fancy gizmo such as CAD. Using a big sheet of paper.
Following up my reputation of being a caveman of digital age.

Also, I finally bought Atlas GP9 loco on eBay.
I wanted get the loco with SP scheme for several years!
I have to change the engine number for my era so that would be another challenge.

I'll report back to you on the trackplan or something similar.

Dats

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:01:23 pm by dats475, Reason: Pictures added. »

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2017, 01:29:29 am »
Looking forward to seeing how your expansion develops, Dats.

And, the GP9 is one of my favourite locos and yours looks good in its SP colours. I'm also a caveman in the digital age. My plan was done with pieces of paper, first small for basic planning and then full size to finalise it all and put down track.

Webbo

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2017, 10:23:43 pm »
For some reason, I never saw your update until now Dats!  I like the loco you bought, it's great!  I need to get one in BN colours (only you know why at this point!)

Have you got the benchwork finished for the extention yet?  If so, you can start playing with the track on the board, place cardboard boxes where the new industries will be and so on.  It looks like it's going to be an exciting year for the Closet Branch!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:54 pm »
Hello everyone.

My extension plan is roughly set.(or so I think.)
I decided that I'll use three scavenged points.
It would be two warehouses (maybe) with three car spots and one scrap metal dealer.
All spurs are facing same direction which eliminate runaround movements.
A matter of fact that the crews have to back up with a caboose to switch those industries.
I wanted to have a really simple trackplan instead of jamming everything single elements on my rather small space.
Still I have a road crossing and a bridge over the wash(creek) to traverse with "reverse move" procedure.
I'll attach my trackplan later. I drew it with a pencil on a cardboard and my cellphone camera wouldn't pick those lines clearly and I'm too lazy to redo it with a thicker pen.(I'll redo it as soon as I have a time.)
But I attached a picture of my Atlas points which I'm making them "bullet proof" or precisely speaking "I think that I'm making them bullet proof" by soldering jump wires.

Dats

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:08 pm »
Exciting times ahead, Dats!  Do you know what the warehouses are going to be storing?  Are they going to be covering the tracks going into them, or will there be a canopy over the loading platform?  Both have excellent merit.

Andy
UK

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
Hi Andy

Probably those warehouses are going to be plain buildings without any covered area. And one spot has thin tall tanks for plastic pallets storage or something.
I just realized that I wanted to have at least one building materials/ lumber dealer.
I thought about having a staging track somewhere behind of the backdrop and more complicated trackplan but I thought that it will be too many tracks.

My inspiration is (always been) Southern Pacific's Burbank Branch and Riverside Branch.
I tried to make those prototype layout but it didn't last for three days!!
The Burbank Branch had a lot of lumber dealers (that's why I want to include the lumber yard) and I liked the atmosphere of the line. Riverside Branch had a few blocks of street running, bridges and even a diamond crossing with Santa Fe Railroad!!
Well, in the future, when I have a large room I will be able to model them.

Meanwhile I need to figure out my industry choices.
Maybe I'll have two lumber dealers and one scrap metal dealer.
As you can guess the plan would change several more times.
One definite thing is I'll use only three points(turnouts).

Dats

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2017, 06:58:32 am »
Sounds great Dats!  I look forward to seeing the progress on the layout, together with the resulting video soon!

Andy
UK

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2017, 03:39:39 am »
Hello!

OK, this is my very crude trackplan.
Nowadays everybody use CAD software but I used CARD(-board) technology.
With my elegantly ugly hand writing, the plan almost looks like the ancient writing in a cave.

Anyway, existing Closet yard will be connected to top side of extension to the left.
Red line is the main track.
If you see it closely, there is a gap between tangents and curves. That's where "easement" will be.
I used this easement method on my existing layout and worked quite well. Especially  for forbidden tight curves which I have them everywhere.
Bottom left is for the future extension. (Yes, I'm still going!...maybe.)
I have a only 1'x3' extension space and I tried not squeeze the tracks but it is still "too busy" looking.
To convey the atmosphere of Los Angeles trackage, probably I need to eliminate some tracks.
Also I need to think about what kind of car I can spot on the industry trackage.
Ideally I would like to have spots for a gondola, a boxcar and a centerbeam car.
Will see how I can do this.

Different view angle of my CARD technology trackplan.

Any suggestions are welcome.(in other words, please help me!!)

Dats

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2017, 06:34:37 am »
Hi Dats

I'm facing a somewhat similar dilemma to yours and am also using the CARD rack planning system. I wonder if part of your difficulty is the position of the main track which runs right through the middle of your industrial area. A suggestion that might be worth a try is to run the main track across the back of your extension and have your industrial sidings all to the left of it (with reference to your top photo). Perhaps also try moving the position of the siding turnout further up so you can use more of your space on the left for your industries. Something else that might help is to cut out some cardboard footprints of your industries and see how they all fit together with the possible positions of the sidings. I agree that you want to avoid the crammed look if possible.

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2017, 01:20:57 pm »
Hi Webbo

Thank you for your ideas!
This plan has a disadvantage from the beginning.
I have to make a 90 turn within 12" due to "C" shape layout configuration. (This extension is one leg of The "C" shape.)
On top of that, my ambitious ego tells me that the layout would expand to an "O" shape in a distance future so another 90 curve.
That makes the mainline placement somewhat limited.
The right side is against the wall. I only have an access/viewing from left side.
If I have a industry with a building such as a warehouse, I want to place it right side of the main. (The building is against the wall so it doesn't block the view from where I stand. Also it will disguise the size of the building. A real warehouses are too big to model!!)
Although it might emphasise the depth by placing small objects in front of mainline.
The picture of trackplan is definitely "unbalanced".
I'll stare at the plan more with your ideas in mind.

A story of the Closet Branch extension.

October 14, 1980. Staggers Rail Act into law went into effect. This deregulation which a rail carrier could establish any rate for a rail service would help re-establishing business contacts that the railroad lost for many trucking companies
So the railroad's business management decided to reopen an abandoned trackage near Closet yard to serve a few industries in late 1981. Hoping to win over more businesses from the trucking company competitions.
Of course the Closet Branch crews are care less about those things. The Conductor and the engineer are playing cards and the brakeman is picking his nose in the crew lounge which located in Closet yard engine house.

Dats
BTW, this CARD technology took me to another level. Just not higher but lower! Cool!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:26:32 pm by dats475 »

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2017, 10:52:55 pm »
Dats

You don't need CAD to develop your trackplan!  We can see what you have planned from here!  I have to agree with Webbo though about the main line going through the middle.  I like the idea of you running the main line around the back, so that the switching can be done closer to where you are operating from.

Maybe if this means reaching over a building, one of the industries could be a Team Track?  Just my two pennorth for what it's worth!

Andy
UK

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2017, 11:37:35 pm »
Or Dats

Could you move your main line to the front and have it run diagonally downwards and to the left? Do you have to have a 90 degree bend in the main track at the bottom or could some of the bend be placed on the section yet to be built at the bottom to its left? As it is, your main track is putting big constraints on the shapes of your industries.

Webbo

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:09 am »
Hi there
Just sticking my nose in for a once in while visit....

For some reason, I would swap the Wash and the Road around... I am not really sure why, but my first impression on looking at your CARD plan is to do that........

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything