!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help with North American Cars  (Read 435 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Help with North American Cars
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 03:12:25 am »
Hi Scott, Not sure if this answers your question but an excellent source of North American rolling stock video is on YouTube.

Here you'll find a typical "Grain Train" being pulled by a BCOL (British Columbia Railway) Dash 8 C40-8M.

If you've not already purchased the Walthers Medusa Cement plant, you may want to consider changing your purchase to a Walthers ADM Grain Elevator Kit. 
https://www.ebay.com/p/N-Walthers-933-3225-ADM-Grain-Elevator-Kit/2254301337

CN handles a lot of grain because of the territory they operate through in the Western provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

If you want to continue with the Medusa cement plant, then yes you'll need 2 bay covered hoppers.

As Webbo mentioned, just about all N scale locomotives and rolling stock manufactured today has a Micro-trains or Micro-trains compatible coupler. Here in North America we do not have NEM pockets. Switching all cars to Micro-Trains couplers is fairly simply accomplished by switching out the trucks (bogies) with the appropriate Micro-Trains truck. Personally I do not use automatic uncoupling, I prefer to use Rix Products N scale uncoupling tool. So for me, it does not matter if the rolling stock has Accumate, McHENRY or Micro-Trains couplers, the Rix Uncoupling tool works on all of them. Now my personal favorite is the Micro-Trains coupler.

https://rixproducts.com/product/rix-pick-uncoupling-tool-n-scale/

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:34:30 pm »
Well I'm late to this party I'm afraid

this sounds like a fun project but just so you know the Dash 8 40CMs are not the most common things (athough they are pretty darn sweet!)  You *might* get to see one down south on CN's US lines but more likely up here.

BCRail had 26 or so, but they were subsumed by CN in 2004, that said I've seen BCRail cars in Vancouver this year, just give them a good weather :)

One of the nice things about North American railroads from a model railroading perspective is that they really "sweat the assets" so you can see almost anything anywhere
(I remember seeing Santa Fe loco's in Halifax Nova Scotia in 2011! and even a Rock Island boxcar in what was my local yard in Dartmouth 30 years after it went under!)

Good luck with the project, There are plenty of shorter trains that you can use for shunting and even large loco's are used for this, although it'd be a good idea to pick up some GP38-2's as they seem to be pretty ubiquitous switchers, often in pairs.

Graham

Offline edwardstd

• Modelling the C&NW's Alco Line
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 04:19:26 am »
Hi Scott! Greetings from Minnesota, which isn't quite in Canada, but we are neighbors.

I live about 250m from a Canadian Pacific line that runs east-west through southern Minnesota and it hauls mostly corn, soybeans, ethanol made from corn, diesel fuel made from soybeans, cement, and bentonite which is a type of clay used in industrial manufacturing. All of these products, with the exception of ethanol and bio-diesel in tank cars, are moved in covered hopper cars. The more dense the material, the shorter the car.

As far a locomotives go, some days it is hard to determine who owns the railroad in front of my house. There is a steady mixture of Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern, CSX, and Lord know what other kinds of motive power rolling through town every day.

When it comes to couplers, I have had a few non-Micro Trains couplers that wouldn't couple to Micro Trains cars, correctly, but as several of the prior posts have mentioned, it's not difficult to change out the trucks/bogies. I do it on a case-by-case basis, but I probably will standardize on Micro Trains one of these years. I also found magnetic uncoupling to be problematic on my railroad, which is primarily a switching setup so I also do manual uncoupling using those wooden BBQ skewers. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bamboo-Skewers-Barbecue-Sticks-Wooden/dp/B00ARAQEKS)

Good luck and have fun!
Tom Edwards
C&NW "Alco Line" and M&StL in N scale
http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations