!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran-2  (Read 26038 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran-2
« Reply #465 on: January 09, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »
Hi Martin, only just discovered this thread, I don't venture into layout planning very often.

I'm with everyone else, the modifications are a great idea and pleased to hear that they almost work "out of the box".

Good luck with the timber modifications.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #466 on: January 09, 2017, 04:50:04 pm »
Bought some timber today but I think it may be next weekend before I get stuck into the construction. I don't like doing an hour here and there where woodworking (if that's what you can call my ability with a saw) preferring to do a solid day and get it out of the way.
I'm not a great fan of point motors. I successfully installed some 20 on Port Perran 1 but then during operating sessions I didn't bother with the electric points but usually changed them manually - (I know - stupid!).
Anyway, I will need a few on the joining board which will run behind the backboard simply because I won't be able to reach very easily to change them manually!    It won't be a great problem as I have a tin of about 20 point motors (retrieved from PP-1) all with wiring already soldered to the motors. Plus , I can use my old console - similarly with switches and soldered wires in place. I wouldn't want the grief of all that soldering again!
Still need a few points on my next trip to Kernow MRC and a few sections of flexitrack but I can get that during the week.  I also need to make a very slight alteration to the tunnel in the backboard where the station road and avoiding line come together. I'll need a little more space there so need to widen the tunnel mouth a little.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #467 on: January 09, 2017, 05:00:47 pm »
It sounds like you've got a tidy bit of work to do there.  It's good that you'll be able to reuse your point motors.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »
Having already bought the timber, Martin, you're already off to a good start. I hope all goes according to plan. As always, I look forward to the updates, in due course.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #469 on: January 11, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
 :hellosign: Best of luck Martin, looking forward to updates in due course
        regards Derek

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #470 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »
I do like when you have things you can repurpose and saves money as well as time to go purchase the items you need  :beers:

I do like to check up and see how your doing, Risking a wrist slap at work for none work related viewing lol  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #471 on: January 13, 2017, 07:32:43 pm »
I've started on the joining of Port Perran and Trepol Bay via an additional off scene connection board.
Ive moved Port Perran forward by about 9 inches and moved Trepol Bay sideways by about 3 inches. Thats the VERY most I can achieve but is vital if Im to make this additional connection work.
Ive cut and laid the extra long (to support the new board behind the backscene) cross timbers under Port Perran. Plus Ive retrieved the old narrow fiddle yard from Port Perran 1 from the shed and this (luckily) is just about the right size to form the new linking board.
It will all be screwed into place tomorrow then I can cut and add a small extension of about 9 inches (lengthways) to the Trepol Bay fiddle yard. That's necessary in order that I can link the two layouts behind the scenes.
Hopefully some flexitrack and points that Ive ordered will arrive tomorrow then I can see if it all fits together as I envisage.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:40:51 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #472 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
I can't wait to see the overall look over the layout together, I swear that track better arrive soon I'm literally :bounce:

Seems it's going to be quite a squeeze to get them connected with space available. Look forward to your next update  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2017, 08:24:19 pm »
I, too, look forward to seeing pics of the construction.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #474 on: January 13, 2017, 08:38:50 pm »
I can't wait to see the overall look over the layout together, I swear that track better arrive soon I'm literally :bounce:
Seems it's going to be quite a squeeze to get them connected with space available. Look forward to your next update  :beers:
Yes, in my first positioning of the two layouts, I discovered that I couldn't get out of the room because the door was blocked. I have to be realistic and sensible in leaving plenty of space for my clumsy movements otherwise I'll be continually bumping into the boards as I try to squeeze past  and causing havoc.
My Layouts -

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #475 on: January 13, 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
Take the door off and replace it with a concertina type door. Just think of the extra space there would be. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #476 on: January 13, 2017, 09:16:51 pm »
Take the door off and replace it with a concertina type door. Just think of the extra space there would be. :)

Now there's a good idea not hard to fit either :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #477 on: January 13, 2017, 09:45:47 pm »
Concertina doors are very popular space savers for interior doors in Czech panelaks (panel-built blocks of flats). I should have thought of that. (However, being a new flat, where I live does not have any.) A concertina door will, indeed, much fitting the new board in place MUCH easier.

I, too, look forward to seeing the photos. and the inaugural trains (albeit the new section is 'off scene').

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #478 on: January 14, 2017, 06:33:14 am »
Door or no door, it all sounds like encouraging progress and I look forward to some pics of the construction project.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #479 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
Well, for once Yodel did their stuff and the additional track arrived today.
I have tooday just finished the boards for the extension.
Tidying up now after a cuppa, I'm an incredibly untidy worker.
Then if I have time I may lay out the track to see how it will look before fixing it all in pllace tomorrow.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything