!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Grafar Glowing Fireboxes  (Read 786 times)

Online ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Grafar Glowing Fireboxes
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:34:08 pm »
 :hellosign:

Having unearthed some old Grafar steam-outline locos from late 1970s after my return to Britain a few months ago, I am concerned that they may need some attention if they are to be returned to service after some 35 years in storage.   :(

They seem to run satisfactorily, if somewhat noisily compared to recent models, but I am very concerned to see that two of the three now have glowing fireboxes as they go around, and I suspect the third also has this "feature" although the view is obscured.   :goggleeyes:

I assume this is an indication that the brushes on the motor need to be replaced, so I wonder if anyone has experience of this and can give me an indication of how difficult it will be, please.   

I would also welcome any suggestions as to what else may be the cause of this and what other attention may be required, thanks.  They have not really been used much due to lack of space. 

:thankyousign:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Grafar Glowing Fireboxes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »
Yeah... I've got a couple of old Farish that do that. I'd say that it's almost certainly the brushes. I haven't done anything about my locos... while they run, it doesn't bother me. When they stop, it will.

Hardly good advice, huh. :-[

Preventative maintenence  has never been one of my strong points!   :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Grafar Glowing Fireboxes
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »
It is not too difficult a job to do, but requires the wheels to be taken off to expose the lower brush. as long as you lay everything out that you take off so it can all go back the same way, there should be no problems. fiddly yes, but not too hard.

Regards,

Alex 

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything