!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol B sets  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Dapol B sets
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 08:09:52 am »
Got my crimson ones too.

It's a brighter crimson than Dapol's crimson on the Maunsells, which in turn is brighter than Farish's crimson on their Mk 1 suburbans etc.

It is odd because the brightness is what you see on old colour photos, and to my eyes looks ok on both the B sets in full crimson and the Maunsell and Farish stock in crimson/cream renditions. It is the Farish suburbans which look dull now.

All in all, very happy and at £12/coach, not complaining.

the bogies are not NEM fitted so must be the original tooling.

I hope not - the original ones had the wrong back to backs, and were replaced soon after.
I wish they would use the original bogies on the siphons though.

Bob

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 09:49:26 am »
Great to have these B sets in fresh liveries, I will get the crimson set when I see one. I examined a maroon set yesterday and confirm the couplings remain the same, no NEM  upgrade. Well at that price was I hoping for too much?

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:09 am »
Why do you want NEM? Spring rapidos work fine.
Its only if you use Dapol's magnetic uncoupling system that you might want to swap.

Offline carlwooduk

• N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:28 am »
Yes, looking to add Dapol uncouplers so i can do run round movements when  a train arrives at the station and back up the branch on Vale of Oxbury.

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 11:52:46 am »
Yes, looking to add Dapol uncouplers so i can do run round movements when  a train arrives at the station and back up the branch on Vale of Oxbury.

Carl,

unless you are already using dapol easi shunt couplings, take a look at the thread about my exhibition layout "Tremierten" using the link below, or in the N gauge society journal 6/17 whre I demonstrate the Gaugemaster systen

Regards,

Alex

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 04:53:22 am »
Bought a maroon pair at my local model shop this morning. It was a bit of an impulse purchase - have always had them in the back of my mind but never specifically planned to get them, but when I saw them... and at a reasonable price compared with the Farish Mk1s at the same store...

Quick question, has anybody tried getting inside them to fit passengers and lighting? Was able to loosen one end but the guard's end of each coach was very recalcitrent and I didn't want to use too much force....
Still planning a layout...

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:16 am »
Rather than click the Thankyou button on all the posts this is a Thankyou to all you guys and Caz for all the valuable information and photos on the various liveries and use of B set coaches , I have some of the original  ones  and had to change the bogies as mentioned . I might be tempted to buy some more from Dapol at the   N G S , A G M show in Horsham at The end of the month., but that will mean sorting out some more stock to sell to finance the new .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:31:31 am by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:53 am »
Quick question, has anybody tried getting inside them to fit passengers and lighting? Was able to loosen one end but the guard's end of each coach was very recalcitrent and I didn't want to use too much force....

Yes, they are quite easy to open up. The body is secured to the chassis with a screw at the Guard's end. Undo it and the body lifts off quite easily.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline JonHarbour

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 12:51:42 pm »
Thanks! Díoh! Didnít look underneath  :dunce:

Offline JonHarbour

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 02:33:05 am »

Yes, they are quite easy to open up. The body is secured to the chassis with a screw at the Guard's end. Undo it and the body lifts off quite easily.

Got into them quite easily this morning - thanks for the advice Matt. Found a fair bit of what I assume to be grease inside the mounting for the bogie - I had to remove one bogie to access the screw. Plenty of room inside to put a battery and a reed switch to light the coaches once I receive my next batch of future amputees / figures from China.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
If you don't want to fit a battery etc then it is relatively easy to fit Dapol style pinpoint axle pickups especially if you are on DCC.  You can also fit working loco lamps as well especially as you can now get pre wired warm white/red 0605 LEDs.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything