!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 11102 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Just starting after 20 year wait
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:17 pm »
Well after a false start in February construction has finally started.

For my first layout itís all rather basic. The baseboard is 9mm hardwood ply glued & screwed to a 22 x 47 mm softwood frame.

As I am effectively starting from scratch I have taken the plunge and decided to go DCC.  I therefore wired the baseboard before doing anything else. My thanks go to Brian Lambert for his excellent website on wiring. I installed a couple of wiring buses using some stripped down surplus 5 amp lighting cable. A few extra holes were drilled in the frame for future cabling. I currently have no plans for lighting, but who knows?

The majority of the track is peco code 80 set track with a few lengths of peco flexi track. All went together really well. The low level track consists of an inner and out loop with sidings in the centre heading towards what will be a harbour. A higher level single track will head across the harbour to a mine / quarry.

I had no DCC locos so I took advantage of the recent special offer on Class 22s. Very pleased, a good looking model and good operation.

To my amazement everything worked first time, albeit from some very temporary wiring connections from track to bus. Having made sure that the two low level loops work ok I will now take all of the track up and fit cork underneath.

Many thanks to all on the forum over the last few months during my enforced frustrating delay. It has been great looking at the various layouts and searching for all sorts of hints tips and ideas. There is loads of help, enthusiasm and fantastic layouts to get you inspired (if a little daunted by some of the quality of modelling)!

I will endeavour to keep you updated as the build progresses.

Thanks for looking, comments most welcome.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »
Very nice tidy trackwork there.
You are making good progress - thanks for the update.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 07:52:46 pm »
A good start there, Keith :thumbsup:
Trouble is, once locos start running all other progress seems to slow dramatically :angel:

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 07:58:09 pm »
Very nice start to the layout there, The best are always worth the wait. Enjoy your build and look forward to updates in the future  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »
Very good to see progress with the tracklaying and the Dapol Class 22s are indeed fine models and real bargains at the current prices. (I bought a 3rd one, my first BR Blue one but a D63XX series one to fit my up to 1968 period.)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:02 pm »
Hadn't realised it has been so long since I last posted.

Steady progress over the summer, fitted in between gardening, grandchildren, holiday and still some part-time work.

I added the "mountain" area and mocked up access via a very temporary bridge!

I wanted to make sure that I had not been over ambitious with the gradient (about 3%). No need to worry both the Class 22 and the new Hymek cope very easily. Also wanted to make sure that the wiring did what was required!

Ah, which reminds me, I did make a few purchases over the summer too. More of that later.

Thanks for looking.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »
One of the new purchases over the summer was something more permanent to fill that big gap.

I bought a bridge kit from Faller:

Which with a bit of careful work turned in to this:

First model kit I have built since my early 20's (some time last century) when I was really in to building Tamiya model cars (the Lotus 49B was amazing, working suspension etc).

Really liked the Faller kit, straightforward to assemble and good quality and attention to detail.

Once the painters had finished it was assembled on site:

Need to get it dirty now. Still need to practice weathering off site before I have a go at the real thing though.

Oh and the Hymek was a summer purchase too..

Not sure that I like the low level bridge mock-up in the background. The Peco truss girders seem to be a bit on the small side. I may buy some plate girders and see how they look.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 05:27:50 pm »
That bridge looks impressive.
As for Peco, I think they do the girder bridge sides in 2 sizes. I certainly have one pair that are slightly taller.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 05:40:57 pm »
Thanks PP.

I will investigate further, I do prefer the idea of a truss bridge.  :thankyousign:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:49 pm »
Nice looking bridge, well made too - I have seen this one online, but not pictured made up & on a proper layout.. looks good - my only slight issue is that the line I want to put the bridge on has curves & incline ....  how much "manipulation" do you think this kit could take...i.e. would the moulding lend themselves to being warmed up and a curve introduced?

I had a look at your thread a few days ago, was intrigued greatly by your quarry and the corkscrew to get up to it - neat idea :)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 07:06:19 pm »
It will certainly take an incline, mine has about 3% gradient.

Not sure about a horizontal curve. The bridge deck is quite sturdy and rigid. That said, because it is sturdy maybe some gentle heat and persuasion might work. If the deck does bend then the substructure will be ok since it is modular so should be quite easy to adapt. I think Faller do a curved brick viaduct but I could not find a curved steel bridge. My original plan was to scratch build my own curved steel bridge out of plastistrut but I bottled out of that. The bridge is a key focal point of the layout so it needs to look "professional"  :worried:   

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »
Curved metal bridges were made up of a series of short sections joined at an angle rather then being actually curved. Little Petherick Creek bridge in North Cornwall being an excellent example:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/padstow/padstow(1960s)old97.jpg

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 08:25:41 pm »
 :welcomesign:

It's nice to see something a little different Keith, loads of scope for scenics and a great start with the bridge. Am I right in thinking the top quarry line is completely independent from the lower level (there's not some sneaky helix out of sight....??).

Good luck & thanks for sharing

PT

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:18 am »
Thanks PT,
yes you are right the quarry line is independent from the low level track. I wanted to model some rock faces so needed some height. The quarry line terminates about 50 feet (prototype) above lower track level. At a 3% gradient I just did not have enough space to link, even with a helix.
I plan to have some form of "unloading system" for getting quarry product off the wagons. No definite plans yet but lots of possibilities with the planning department at the moment: crane, gantry, conveyor, factory...

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »
 :helpneededsign:

Hi all, I now have a name for my layout. Is it possible to change the name of a topic? or do I start a new one?

:thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here