!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bad luck or poor product?  (Read 3404 times)

Offline silly moo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
Re: Bad luck or poor product?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »
I'm sorry you have had such grief PRC, I thought that Dapol and Farish saved all their duds for a friend of mine, he has had similar bad luck.

I'm glad we aren't losing you to N gauge, I'm sure you will enjoy the Fleischmann locos.

:NGaugersRule:

Offline roniom

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Yes, I realize there is a bit of confusion here, as I added to a thread started by someone else, simply because it seemed there was some similarity in our cases.

In terms of my problem, which relates to Graham Farish / Bachmann hardware (only), I have now started contact with them, so the ball is in their court.  Everything is on hold with me now.  If the GF problem is not resolved satisfactorily, I will likely abandon my N gauge plans and change scale as well as prototype. 

Just to give a bit more background, I have had problems with all three GF locos I recently purchased new, though the Class 5 and 3F are both running fine on the test track with DCC at present.  In the case of the Fairburn, they had to test three before one would run satisfactorily, new out of the box at the Hatton's shop in Liverpool.

If I do get a proper answer from GF, I promise to share it here.  I now have an idea myself but I am going to wait their response.  However, having already experienced a number of quality issues, I am not too hopeful.

Offline PRC

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »
As a last leap of faith I purchased yesterday a GF Class 37. I set it going on the small DC loop I have for running in purposes and it appeared to be a very nice runner. I'd forgotten it had lights as well, which looked wonderful. I began to feel that maybe my accusations about Grafar quality were over reactionary. BUT when I reversed the loco the lights would only work in one direction. Ah, that's more like it. I knew there had to be a catch somewhere. I took it back and got a refund.   

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »
Do you buy all your stock from the same shop? !!!!!

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 02:21:21 pm »
I do have to say that if we all had the same amount of grief as you are having most of us would probably have given up N for good, you have been unusually unlucky.

Offline PRC

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
I'm not going to name shops as that wouldn't be fair. The problems are not with dealers selling throwbacks until they don't come back any more, I'm certain of that - or sincerely hope that's not the case. I use three sources of purchase, so the bad luck I seem to be lumbered with must be exceptionally unusual. I do now have two GF locos which are excellent and fit for purpose, but trying to build a collection, well, it's like pulling teeth. If I'd known that my hopes for a satisfying British themed 'N' layout would be this complicated to put together I wouldn't have started it. But the scenic side is so advanced I feel I have to carry on. It's basically a continuous circuit on a base about 10' x 2', plus an 'L' leg goods yard at one end and an exchangeable 'magazine' whole train storage affair coming off the other end. Everything works fine as far as the trackwork is concerned...I know this through the locos which have no problems negotiating it all, and I've been wiring layouts, DC (009 /00) and later DCC (00), for more years now than I care to remember.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:09:54 pm by PRC »

Offline roniom

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »
See this item for more on the problem I had with my GF Fairburn used with DCC.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31663.0

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 11:41:51 pm »
I can understand why people get annoyed at British N gauge, I tried to model it 4 times before I finally made the switch to American, still believing that N gauge is the best I decided to return after a two year spell with OO gauge (which is not much better), I now buy Kato mechanisms from Japan and build my own diesel locos of my own design out of Evergreen plastic sheet, my layout is called "Anytown Sidings", I find doing things this way is a whole lot of fun and stress free, I also find I don't swear as much :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:13:42 am by longbridge, Reason: typo »
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here