!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Birmingham Knotmore Street  (Read 11054 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Birmingham Knotmore Street
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 05:07:00 pm »
Many thanks for this nice photo. I have a similar pair of these locos. in BR Lined Green (1462, to be renumbered 1434; and 5530, to be renumbered 5531). I also think I have the same autocoach in BR Crimson & cream, W192W, but need to check the actual running number on mine.

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 12:38:08 am »
Many thanks for this nice photo. I have a similar pair of these locos. in BR Lined Green (1462, to be renumbered 1434; and 5530, to be renumbered 5531). I also think I have the same autocoach in BR Crimson & cream, W192W, but need to check the actual running number on mine.

This is also 1462, seems to get about a bit. I might renumber it at some point in the future when I have time and energy to worry about details and the slow-motion construction process is showing signs of tangible progress. The other coach is W194W, this was a pair I acquired utterly randomly as part of a job lot last year (I was actually interested in something else in the lot, these were a bonus).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 07:18:23 am »
Thanks. Some batches of the Dapol 14XX were better than others. I guess quality control was not very consistent in Dapol's early days. My 14XX has a slightly warped chimney (plastic not metal). The NGS shop sells replacement number plate sets for the 14XXs.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2017, 07:06:33 pm »
Photos. of the Scottish Special, hauled by the 'Green Dragon', arriving and departing, are eagerly awaited.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 06:19:17 am »
The whereabouts of the station photographer were unknown for a few days, upon investigation it turned out he has been suffering from a rather painful trapped nerve which was hindering his professional activities. He has mentioned that if he could be reminded of the composition of the train in question he can check if he managed to take any snapshots of it between bouts of painkiller-induced apathy.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 02:34:21 pm »
The formation of the Penmayne portion of the 'Scottish Special' was: BR Lined Green BR Standard 5MT, BR SR Green CCT, then 5 X BR SR Green BR Standard coaches: SO, RMB, RFO, FK, and BCK. The shorter Truro portion was formed of 3 X BR Standard coaches: BR SR Green BCK, BR SR Green CK, and BR WR Chocolate & Cream RMB, followed by BR SR Green CCT. As the train will have to be divided for stabling and servicing at Knotmore Street, you can choose which part to photograph. 8-)

My BR Crimson & Cream autocoach is unknown, at present, as I can't remember which of 4 boxes has them buried in!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »
The formation of the Penmayne portion of the 'Scottish Special' was: BR Lined Green BR Standard 5MT, BR SR Green CCT, then 5 X BR SR Green BR Standard coaches: SO, RMB, RFO, FK, and BCK. The shorter Truro portion was formed of 3 X BR Standard coaches: BR SR Green BCK, BR SR Green CK, and BR WR Chocolate & Cream RMB, followed by BR SR Green CCT. As the train will have to be divided for stabling and servicing at Knotmore Street, you can choose which part to photograph. 8-)
Oh, one of those CCTs. Not entirely unknown in the vicinity. Much shunting was indeed involved to accommodate the formation in Knotmore Street's suburban platforms, but the local society advocating retention of the GWR mainline through the West Midlands conurbation is reporting that sales of special platform tickets to enthusiasts keen to record the event have proven beneficial to their campaign coffers.

Unfortunately further discreet investigations reveal that one of the photographer's toddler's overseas grandparents is in town, severely limiting access to any photographic records (though on the plus side tomorrow will involve a trip to the local National Railway Museum, in the hope of annoying one of the mentioned parties and wearing the other into sleepy submission).

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:53 am »
Time passes... Photographer still mysteriously absent, complaining of a painful trapped nerve and lack of something called "mojo". However coincidentally a photograph was recenly discovered on a USB stick carelessly left behind on the 12:31 to Stratford-upon-Avon, which shows some kind of preliminary construction work possibly dating from around 1987, though heads are scratching as to the identity of the boxy blue-grey EMU and the replacement of the station building with something not entirely dissimilar to the one at Curzon Street.

knotmore-street-mockup-2017-03-10a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2017, 05:13:06 pm »
Thanks for the update. I do hope that the photographer recovers soon.

There are certainly some strange (to British eyes) looking rail vehicles in this shot. Every photo. is much appreciated.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
Time passes... Thoughts coalesce... Flaws become apparent... Having played around with things a bit, it becomes painfully obvious that trains departing the terminus platforms will have nowhere to go except around the elevated loop, or down the incline where they will have to trundle around for a while before reaching a hidden fiddle yard. Worse, the incline is such that while a British electric or diesel locomotive with 3~4 coaches can just about make it, anything relying on coal and water pressure is basically downwards only, which won't be much fun. Anyway some blue sky thinking has helped reached the conclusion that if I sacrifice the existing Japanese shelf layout, things can be rearranged to be much more operationally satisfactory while reducing incline complexity and retaining my concept of "multiple countries, each as fiddle yard for another", or "series of dioramas which happen to be interlinked".

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
Sounds good. I look forward to future developments.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »
So far nothing much, though the idea has firmed out in my head.

Meanwhile, for no good reason, a green Class 27 on a parcels train.

Early in their lives these were no strangers to the Birmingham region, a spot of research brought up quite a few bits of evidence such as this one on what's now the Cross City Line.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »
Thanks for this pair of very nice photos. I look forward to more, in due course.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2018, 11:33:16 am »
Now you see it (remains of my first bit of layout which turned out to be impractical to integrate with the rest):

Now you don't:

Knotmore Street will eventually fill some of this space.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2018, 12:38:23 pm »
Thanks for this update; it's been a while. Looking forward to seeing more of Knotmore Street, soon.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here