!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Birmingham Knotmore Street  (Read 11928 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Birmingham Knotmore Street
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 10:44:43 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the update, taking shape nicely
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:50 am »
I've seen a P4 (4mm) layout of Moor St, which wasn't that big, didn't include the running lines to Snow Hill mind you.  But it does suggest that you should be able to do a reasonable representation of Moor St with passenger facilities and goods handling in a small space in N.

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2010/moorst.html

One day I'll have a go at doing my own take on Moor St.

Indeed, that's what attracted me to it in the first place. I do even actually have the space to do a reasonably to-scale representation, "unfortunately" much of that space is occupied by my other national interests, namely a) a completely freelance Japanese location and b) a freelance station inspired by Berlin's Hackescher Markt station, so compromise is inevitable (but fun). Whatever emerges in this area will initially have more resemblance to Metcalfeville than Birmingham but I hope to incrementally improve things as time passes, particularly trackwork.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 01:02:55 pm »
*** STOP PRESS ***

Sorry, for the youngsters that should be

+++ BREAKING NEWS +++

Just had a major rethink - I've been obsessed with the idea of having a folded dogbone inner loop, which made sense for the smaller setup I had initially, and while it makes for interesting running it also complicates things immensely. Having set up more-or-less the final main board, it looks like a plain old double-track elevated loop will take care of most of my needs, while a single-track lower loop can snake in and out below, the upshot of which is that I can dedicate more space to the Knotmore Street area and as an added plus can have it above baseboard level so it's more elevated as per the prototype. Still not going to be an accurate scale model but better than I previously imagined.

The layout as a whole will still be a multinational snapshot but a bit less constrained than before.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 02:20:06 pm »
Keep the updates coming

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 08:36:08 pm »
Sounds very interesting. I look forward to watching progress.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
 :hellosign: Railsquid, following with interest thanks for the updates
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 03:30:29 am »
An initial draft of the track plan:

This is really crying out for custom-built pointwork to make better and more elegant use of the space, but for the forseeable future we'll have to live with a mishmash of Tomix and Kato settrack points.

After studying various photographs of the original, it seems the approach trackwork has been reworked several times, so I'm just going for something which kind of fits into the available space and track rather than attempt anything protoypical. Loco shed/stabling point and Inglenook-esque "freight yard" are freelance additions.

Assuming the flat baseboard is "level 0", the purple tracks will be evevated at "level 1". The running tracks curving away behind the station (in what would be the Snow Hill tunnel in real life) will be covered by a road which in the same real life would be part of the inner ring road, but will become a section of Generic Metcalfville for now as I have all these low-relief buildings needing a home...

The yellow tracks are at "level 0"; the light yellow section will pass underneath the station.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 06:42:43 am »
It certainly looks very complex. Plenty of operating potential in a smallish space.

Offline OleOz

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 08:40:49 am »
Hi Railsquid, some time ago I developed a track plan of Birmingham Snow Hill and moor Street in about 1910. Track plan is fairly faithful to reality, however signalling is totally fictitious to achieve efficient operation.
It was developed for software called railway.exe, a system which allows you to develop and run your own railway system.
If this is of any interest I could post a .jpeg of the track plan and the URL for the railway.exe software. If you then install railway.exe I could send you the simulation file for Snow Hill/Moor Street.
A bit of trivia. In Snow Hill there were two down bay platforms. In 1910 they had a system which allowed a train to run into the bay, uncouple the loco which then ran on to a Y shaped traverser so it could then run out on the other line around its train to attach at the other end.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:16 am »
Thanks, the JPEG trackplan would certainly be interesting, though 1910 is well before my period of interest.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 09:25:13 am »
Looks and sounds interesting.
Will be following developments.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:34 am »
I'll be sending an email about our West Country PO goods stock for "through" running as I aim to post the first parcels off, next week.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 11:48:39 am »
I'll be sending an email about our West Country PO goods stock for "through" running as I aim to post the first parcels off, next week.
Whoops yes, sorry forgot about that, been a bit scatter-brained recently  :dunce: :confused2:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 02:11:55 pm »
And here we are, the finished layout:

Nah, just joking, I'm just messing about with a vague approximation of the track plan to see how it "fits" in reality. Moreover I've revolutionised my life by finally getting a loop of track set up, I'd totally forgotten what it's like to see trains go round and round. Here we see 50033 "Glorious" some time in the 1980s heading south on a short stopping service from Wolverhampton Low Level via Snow Hill to, I dunno, Southampton? A 108 in heritage livery lurks in the background, pretending to be a 116 which Tyseley has done something creative with. It does seem the Mk2s have been through the wash too many times and shrunk somewhat, tragically and disappointingly a known issue with this batch.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
I think the Class 108 must be the same one that runs through Claverdon on the Birmingham to Stratford services  ;)

Until we can buy a genuine Class 116 I think the 108 is the best substitute available RTR.  There were a few 108 units stabled at the old Leamington Milverton shed; my theory is that one was borrowed (in our alternate timeline) to cover for a shortage of stock in the Western Region.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything