!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Would this work, IKEA baseboard  (Read 256 times)

Offline Jamesngauge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Would this work, IKEA baseboard
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:01:16 pm »
Hello all,

My current IKEA desk is the right size of layout id like. And while thinking about layouts i had an idea.

If i glued a peice of hardboard cut to size, to the top of an ikea Linnamon desk top, would it work? My question really is about hardboard? Most people suggest not to use it as it would sag, but im after a strong and light option. The internal construction of the ikea desktop is strong and light, and glued to the top there shouldnt be much sagging.

The desktop would create a nice strong pre-made frame, the hardboard on top would allow me to attach the track, possibly glued, most people will, im sure think im a tad bonkers with this, but it seems to me a quicker way to make a baseboard without having to construct a frame, i dont have the facilities or space here.

The ikea desk im sure will also provide good support, and be easy to drill through for wiring. Im effectively after light but strong as the layout will have no permanant home at present due to space but will need to be portable for when its stored. Apartments are certainly challenging

James
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:00:28 pm by Jamesngauge »

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Would this work, IKEA baseboard
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:41:19 pm »
someyhing like this?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/adils-linnmon-table-white-spr-29932181/

the ikea legds are very stable and should support a layout built on the table.

how about a piece of pink foam with  ply edging? more flexible and can be carved?
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Jamesngauge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 04:43:17 pm »
Exactly like that,

Thats the table top i would use, has a wood frame and lattice construction inside, perhaps some thin ply on top? How have people found hardboard to be? As long as well supported, whihc it would be glued to the table top i think it would work quite well.

James
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:45:33 pm by Jamesngauge »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:15:24 pm »
Hardboard would be awful, and MDF not much better.  Use ply, which will take track pins etc. if you wish to use those (I prefer to glue track).

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:26:37 pm »
I’m Not completely familiar with this model of IKEA table but many IKEA tables are the same construction as a flush door; I.e. a cardboard honeycomb in the middle. This gives the same (great) advantages and limitations as a flush door. I’m not sure why are you are proposing to use the hardboard; I would use sundeala which takes track pins beautifully and allows some limited relief, or just lay the track directly on the surface if you like a flat look.

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
Hi

I have used an Ikea table top for a layout.  They are very light using a honeycomb paper structure internally.  There a fairly thick wood edge and in the area were the legs are attached.  The rest is very thin but strong.  The top surface did not take paint well but i was able to glue track and foam board to it using no nails type adhesives.  I then built up a two layour structure using foam board.

Like other i would steer clear of hardboard.  I can't see the point if you want a flat surface then just use the the table top and if you need a raised scenic area use cork or sundela or insulation foam boards like celotex

I didn't but you should be able to drill holes through the table for cables but i would not make cut outs for point motors

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything