!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 145337 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #2625 on: November 07, 2018, 07:59:17 am »
As part of my refinery planning, I started to take a look at all the bits I have amassed

..... take one Horton Sphere ....

Apply 1 dremel

And LPG storage capacity is doubled  :)

Here is kind of how it will look on the layout, having the full size object was a bit too intrusive, this way I can set it back into the layout a bit more

Now that I have all the coaches cleaned up and almost back to transparent shell, I can apply the vinyls

Started to apply some flock to the lift out panel & surrounding area at Muthil

And there we have, some fresh West Highland Line rolling stock to compliment (and embarass) the 2 GF ones I got earlier in the year.  I much prefer the green & cream that Adam has created in hia vinyls than the variant GF came up with ... but its a matter of personal taste I guess

I cleaned up the area and painted the retaining wall sections a uniform colour to tie them all together, not quite sure about the shade though, maybe a bit pale

While I had some whitish wash out, I touched up some of the other rocky outcrops on the layout

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2626 on: November 07, 2018, 08:13:26 am »
So cutting in half leads to doubling (or perhaps Dublin).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2627 on: November 07, 2018, 08:24:38 am »
 :laughabovepost:  in our miniature world at least  :)  and in this PC world (diverse & inclusive rather than apple & microsoft) I won't say anything about Dublin, other that what a warm and welcomig place it is (though a tad expensive, especially in Templebar)  :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2628 on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:08 am »
The new coaches get an airing on the branch line, passengers at the station were very complimentary about it and there was also great excitement about the news of a new whisky tour, taking in far flung places like Inverduff

Work has also started to put the drilling derrick into the landscape, first off all the roughnecks need an access road

Bit more work behind the yard at Muthill, painting up rock faces and trying to get a reasonable colour wash on the retaining walls

First go at trying to lay the clinker/ash ground cover in the yard, it is wet here and looked better when it dried, but is going to take a bit of work to make it look how I want it

Bit of paint added to help picture what it will look like, also started to build up the base for the derrick to sit on, will need a bigger footprint than I first thought

Will try and create the look of deep ruts on the road up, so tried carving these into the das.....

With a bit of spare burnt umber on my brush, I set about removing the stark white plaster finish from the area that will become Rusty Ryans scrap yard

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2629 on: November 08, 2018, 07:11:10 am »
Love it!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2630 on: November 08, 2018, 09:08:35 pm »
Thanks for the latest updates, Andrew. The West Highland Line Green & Cream coaches look very good. I'd apply a thin layer of plaster over the rock faces where the weave of the bandages still is showing before final painting. The clinker/ash ground cover in the yard is looking good.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2631 on: November 09, 2018, 08:08:15 am »
Thanks Chris, that is a good reminder, it is easy to forget about the fabric pattern showing through when you have been looking at it so long!

Lift out sections are the flavour of the day in Perthshire at the moment, so I decided to tackle another one I incorporated

Not a great picture, but from what I have seen on the forum, it takes a bit of care and attention to get them to blend in and not be obvious, here I have tried to build up the surrounding levels to match the removable section

The road that will feature here is the old access road to the statioin at Dunning, now disused, but still in service by the oil exploration companies that are active in the area

Speaking of the drillers, to access one of their sites, above the station at Auchterarder, they need to replace a small bridge to cross a natural ravine in the landscape ... there is also a steep dip that is getting their lorries stuck and an improved bridge will be built there, the latter I have bought as a 3D print, but the former I a going to try and scratch build  :hmmm:

I started off with a coffee stirrer, cut down to fit the gap and act as cross members ... and a sheet of balsa that was a slightly thinner than our N gauge Peco sleepers.  It was also a triumphant moment as I could finally say to my better half that all those coffee stirrers that I keep scooping up DO get used to model with  :)

I cut the balsa to the width I needed then cut it into very thin strips for the planking

and finally, the drillers have their bridge

Here it is, roughly in situ, with a coat of primer

Online Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #2632 on: November 09, 2018, 02:17:48 pm »
I'm currently off work enjoying the first of two extended 20 day pre-Christmas breaks and I've spent the last three days :goggleeyes: on a marathon readathon of this thread.. all 176 pages of it and I'm mightily impressed, especially with the van itself. What a perfectly appropriate home for a model railway.

It was always an ambition of my fathers to have a railway van in his back garden in Galloway but it was not to be, sadly he passed away earlier this year but his memory lives on by using skills and techniques he taught me over the years on my Inverduff model and my little green J94 called Paul.

I can appreciate all the excellent work even though all that electrickery witchcrafty stuff is way beyond my simple boggled brain. Plenty of inspiration for my planned next layout.

Thanks for the mention re the Whisky Tour by the way, I suppose I'll need to develop a taste for the stuff now rather than my favourite tipple, fine Spanish brandy.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2633 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »
Thanks Andy, that is a marathon read, but one that I can relate to, I have done the same on several threads on here, Port Perran, Cant Cove amongst several others ... thank you for your kind words though, that keeps me motivated, believe me, I am often at the outer perimiter of my electrical knowledge (and it is cold and dark out there!) as I muddle through this build ... I still have one outstanding issue that I haven't addressed yet ... but maybe I will dig back into the thread and find the useful advice I was given at the time and try and address it.

Sorry to hear about your dad, it is nice you have memories within your fine layout by which to remind you of him

pssst ...(I am not that partial to whisky either)  :-[

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2634 on: November 10, 2018, 06:55:39 am »
Once the base was fixed (took a couple of goes to get it roughly level), the area was subjected to a bit of terra-forming

.... then a lick of paint to take away the bright whites

Here is the 3D print bridge, with a bit of painting and weathering ... a small confession, for reasons best known to the railway gods, I do my spray painting on the floor of the van, then put a cover over it to protect from dust while drying ..... while this (delicate) print was on the floor I managed to step on it... not once! but twice!  the only damaged was to break off the top rail of the side fences on one side  :doh:

however, it turned out to be a happy accident, as I was able to use the broken off bit to create a safety rail for the scratch built one  :sweat:

Here is the 3D print in situ, I have pladed the reduced height safety rail into the hillside, which almost looks like it is meant!

To get a smarter fit of the ravine bridge, I needed to build up the terrain a bit

...almost there, I am quite pleased with how it came out

I will have a few roads on the layout that will be represented as rutted tracks, I tried etching the tracks into DAS, that seemed to work not too bad, but where I don't have fresh DAS clay to work with, I tried a small experiment with a couple of products to see how they looked.  With a spray of primer, the structured gel works very well, so I think I will proceed with that for the drillers roads, just need to make a small template to create the wheel tracks

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2635 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:40 am »
I'm having huge fun watching all the scenics coming together and have to congratulate your gang of navvies on their work rate :claphappy:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2636 on: November 10, 2018, 10:09:09 am »
Excellent scenic work, Andrew, particularly the bridges.

I am very fond of malt whisky, not just Scottish (Lowland, Highland, and Island) but Irish whiskey, too. Even the Czechs now make malt whisky and, I'm reliably informed, it is very good (but very expensive as it is rare).

I and others are looking forward to the "Tullibardine" PO Shoc-Vans and Extra-LWB Pallet Vans in due course. 8-)

The 'Whisky Tour' sounds an excellent idea. Depending on which year (1980s and 90s) the very attractive LNER "Tourist" Green and Cream Mark 1s* are running, Sylvia will ask Susan to arrange for Lord and Lady Trevelver to be taken, by TARDIS, for a weekend as a Ruby (40th), Golden (50th), or Diamond (60th) Wedding Anniversary present. (I'm assuming their marriage was in the 1950s.)

(*Used on the Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig West Highland Line during the peak summer season, they were, initially owned and operated by ScotRail, before passing to the Intercity Charter Unit and based at Bounds Green in London off-season, they could be seen anywhere on the BR network.)

I think you have a rake of BR Lined Maroon Gresleys but do you also have a rake of Staniers in the same livery and any of either in BR Crimson & Cream?

Online Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #2637 on: November 10, 2018, 10:32:12 am »
Here's a stroke of luck. Up here in Inverduff we already have a TARDIS terminal installed right next to the station AND the green & cream Mk1's (currently operating the Tourist Circular) are ready and waiting AND the distillery is just a short stagger away.

Planning or what? :thumbsup:

Ready when you are.....

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2638 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:24 am »
Many thanks for such a quick and positive response. That is a really excellent Scottish layout. I really like the Scottish buildings and rolling stock, including the ScotRail Class 47. Just pick the year (1980s or 1990s) and the TARDIS will be booked. Is Inverduff also in Perthshire? The Tourist Circular could link both locations?

Online Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #2639 on: November 10, 2018, 10:52:25 am »
Banffshire actually but the route already links both locations.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here