!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Your favourite model locomotive  (Read 3095 times)

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Your favourite model locomotive
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
I'd like a CPR Royal Hudson. Maybe Rapido will shrink their Canadian steam range one day?

Jay, I'll see your Royal Hudson and raise you to the Canadian Pacific Selkirk.

Selkirk streamlined
Selkirk streamlined

or preferentially to me in its non-streamlined form:

Non-streamlined Selkirk
Non-streamlined Selkirk

These 2-10-4 locomotives were the largest, most powerful, non-articulated locomotives in the British Empire and were used primarily to haul passenger and freight trains across the Rockies between Calgary and Revelstoke. Models made in HO and larger scales, but like the Royal Hudson, none in N scale, unfortunately.

Webbo

OK, make my life potentially more expensive. I'll have one of those as well.

I have a soft spot for the Royal Hudson as when it was running in the '70s it ran right below my grandparents' flat in Vancouver (I'd visit and stay with them a couple of times a year from my pre-teen to teen years). And I used to pick the blackberries that grew on the line.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:08 am »
Jay, I have a soft spot for the Royal Hudson as well. It used to run past my parent's house in West Vancouver towing a tourist train. In 2008, Pacific Western Rail Systems announced the manufacture of the set of coaches by Rapido that comprised this tourist train. I ordered the train right away which comprises 11 day coaches, 2 café cars and a baggage car. I have just received the two café cars, but the baggage car for this train is not yet available which is a bit of a disgrace since the set was announced more than 7 years ago. I have asked the president of PWRS about the manufacture of the Royal Hudson locomotive to go with the set. He tells me that there is lots of interest, but so far no dice. But, I live in hope.

The real Royal Hudson now sits in the Railway Museum in Squamish about 65 km from Vancouver. Here she is:

Royal Hudson locomotive
Royal Hudson locomotive

In terms of UK locomotives, I'm with Bealman. A Stephensons Rocket and a Caledonian single would suite me as long as they came with the appropriate coaches.

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 05:28:56 am »
Yeah... even Triang provided the appropriate stock to go with 'em!  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 02:34:36 pm »
What stock would be appropriate for the Caledonian single or the jones 2-6-0 in their rail tour days

Offline Firefox

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »
What stock would be appropriate for the Caledonian single or the jones 2-6-0 in their rail tour days

On the archived Railway Roundabout series on You Tube, I seem to recall stuff about Scottish railtours. Are you talking 1958 to 1963? I think there was some footage of the tours. My memory is vague on it but you maybe able to pick up on the stock used for these dates from the archive footage :)

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 11:37:29 am »
 :greatpicturessign: :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:

Thanks Guys. I hope some of the big manufactuers are taking note.
Another Loco I would love to see in N gauge is the GWR outside frame 4-4-0's (City, Bulldog, Dukes, etc...) There were so many different variations and are a real gap filler on when it comes to GWR railways.

Nightingale
Nightingale
http://www.crphillips-models.co.uk/gwrmodelspage12.html

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:27 am »
javlinfaw7
A photo by Derek Cross in 'BR Steam in colour 1948-1968' by Colin Boocock' taken on the Kyle line in 1959 shows the Jones goods 460, two dirty cattle wagons, a very clean cattle wagon, a Southern 4-wheel passenger parcel van (BY?), then four Stanier maroon coaches (first appears to be a BG), then a final unidentified 4 wheel van on the rear.
Basically, whatever stock was in use on that train at that time; only the normal loco was changed for the Jones Goods.
I don't know what would have been on excursion trains-presumably LMS, BR Mk1s, or possibly LNER depending on the origin of the excursion; nor can I find a photo on a pure goods train
HTH
Martyn

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything