!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New folding layout  (Read 891 times)

Offline crashit

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New folding layout
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:15:54 pm »
I'm planning a new model railway which needs to be stored away. The maximum size for usage is 2.05 meters long and for storage 102cm wide by 13cm high. I think this plan may work with a raised hinge along the half way mark.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
Re: New folding layout
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:57:16 pm »
I think this plan may work with a raised hinge along the half way mark.

I have had to hinge my 10" fiddle yard for storing and have founds these hinges (designed for table legs I think)  to work with no need for additional support. They do, however, need hooking in the stowed position as they only lock when down (or vice versa)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253155091220

If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »
Does it have to hinge? I'm not a fan of them, they end up being very obvious as you have to raise them enough to allow for the trackwork and scenery.

I guess it depends on how often you'd need to pack away, but you could simply create the boards in two halves which join accurately with pattern makers dowels and a couple fasteners which draw the two halves together.  Fit sliding supports in the storage area and store one above the other.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »
Quite a number of rails that have to match up, when folded open for usage... You might consider additional guidance-helps like those used often by modules.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 06:46:25 pm »
Quite a number of rails that have to match up, when folded open for usage... You might consider additional guidance-helps like those used often by modules.

Yes, from the description of the available storage space that means the split is vertical down the middle (according to the plan show). Not only are there several tracks to split, some are at an angle. Will definitely need something like pattern makers dowels to keep the alignment accurate, and the rail ends will need to be properly secured (I solder to brass screws for that).

It's a shame the split can't be horizontally across the plan, immediately behind the engine shed. That would just require 4 tracks to be split at right angles to the cut.

@crashit the 13cm height you quote for storage, is that per board or in total?  If it's the total then that isn't very much at all, by the time you have your baseboards with frames one above the other, you only have a couple of cm left to allow for the track, platforms etc. All buildings, trees, streetlights etc. would need to be removed
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:50:36 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline crashit

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:21:44 pm »
I've been busy making the base boards, cutting and laying the track over the last couple of days. The hinges seems to work OK. But the boards seem to be slightly too flexible to give a perfect height match on all lines every time.
Pushing and pulling wagons and coaches over the joints at various speeds seems to cause certain wagons to uncouple when they are attached to certain other wagons. Usually turning one or both uncoupled wagons around seems to cure this.
Also done a bit of test running, (playing) which confirms that the majority of my rolling stock will go over the joints OK. Not yet had a de-railing on the joints, only occasional uncouplings.
I'm now waiting for some alignment dowels to arrive before I go any further.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:26:13 pm »
Should really have fitted the alignment dowels before laying and cutting the track.  Once that's done, make sure you properly secure the rail ends either side of the joint.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:27:49 pm by ntpntpntp »

Offline crashit

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:49:18 pm »
My next layout I will plan and build differently. I have never built a model railway layout before, (other than on the floor when I was a kid). Every time I take a step forwards, I seem to learn that in the previous steps I should have done things differently.
Where would the fun be if I didn't learn something along the way.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 10:32:09 am »
Even with the best laid track you'll find some wagons seem to have a mind of their own and randomly uncouple.
A dab of 'Tacky Wax' on the couplings usually does the trick.

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Deluxe-Materials-AD-29-Tacky-Wax-28gm-GM_DLAD_29.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-c717eGY2gIVA7ftCh0G3wLdEAYYASABEgKAsvD_BwE

Offline crashit

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »
All the track has been laid, the basic wiring finished, control panel wired and power applied. Apart from a few wires pulling out of connector blocks, it all worked.
Now all that I need to do is buy some point motors, finish off the wiring, finish off control panel and I'll have a functional model railway. This time next year I should have started the scenery.

Offline crashit

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:51 pm »
Finally completed wiring the isolated section of the sidings, (at top of track plan). Worked OK when powered but when isolated with a locomotive in they all tripped the controller. :goggleeyes: :censored:
I'm using four single pole on/off switches taking power from the switch which supplied power to the entrance of the sidings. I pass the power through the switches, one for each siding, onto the isolated tracks. What could be simpler?
I've double checked that the plastic rail joiners are all present checked resistances and voltages with no train present and all appears OK. When I put a train in an isolated siding the track voltage drops from 12V down to 3V, remove the train, the track voltage returns to 12V. When I put the voltmeter in the siding and isolate the siding I get a reading of 0V. :confusedsign:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:17 am »
@crashit   post a diagram of how you've wired it and where you've put the isolating joiners?

Offline crashit

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »
Checked every soldered joint on the control panel. All the connections between control panel and track. All wiring between the controller and control panel. Checked all the wires were soldered to the correct rails. Didn't find a single fault, no stay strands of wires or the like anywhere.
Good news is it has all started working correctly. I'm sure as I've not corrected anything it'll start to play up again in the future, once I've added ballast and scenery. May need a prolonged period of playing testing before I go any further.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything