!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fiddle Yard design - ideas sought  (Read 609 times)

Offline amsie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fiddle Yard design - ideas sought
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:06 pm »
Hi all,

I could really use some ideas for a fiddle yard.  I've enough space for 20 lanes, for a 4 line roundy layout.  With the trains I plan to run, I've decided to divide them into 10 for each line, i.e. ten for the fasts ten for the slows.  The stock will be a mixture of multiple units, but some of it will be loco hauled.  Crossovers from the fast to the slow will be in the scenic section.

I can plan a basic fiddle yard but wondered if anyone had any inspirational ideas particularly with the loco hauled stock for turn arounds in the scenic area, either some kind of run around loop or has anybody had any success with electronic decouplers? 

My eventual plan is for full automation.

Also for the fast lines i'm debating whether to slow the trains down before entering the fiddle yard or go for long points so trains can enter the sidings at a higher speed?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:05:12 pm by amsie »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
Re: Fiddle Yard design - ideas sought
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:38:42 pm »
20 lanes for a 4 track layout..... Wow that's quite some stock yard. Could you steal some of that for more scenary perhaps?
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
No chance to make it a drive-through fiddle-yard? That would make automation easier (no need to decouple and run the loco around.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »
On the outer oval of a layout it's easy to fall into the following trap so make sure points are used as part of the curves and you'll get longer loops and better running through the points........

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:26:40 pm »
Traverser tray with slots for pick-up-and-put-down loco cartridges to minimise handling...?

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »
You can never have too many fiddle yard roads - I've got 24, and mine are all full, several with multiple trains! Next layout will definitely be bigger.

As I read it, despite what some people are saying, it is a through fiddle yard? If not how does it fit with a tail chaser layout? Is it on a separate spur? Perhaps a quick sketch would help.

Working on the assumption you have lines in and out, for me the things to decide are whether you want all lines to be a similar length, in which case you can do it as a parallelogram, if that makes sense. If you're happy with some shorter routes and want to maximise length you can do more of a 'triangle' design.

Like these (not my diagram):

As for points - you'll find most stock will traverse smaller radius points at comparatively high speeds, even set track, but longer is always going to be better if it's an option. It depends a bit on the space you have available - you need at least 6" more for a long crossover compared to set track ones, which isn't insignificant given how most of us already have space constraints.

NN's point about approaches is a good one.

Make sure you measure your longest trains, and have roads appropriate for them. If you have 2 trains that are 7' long it's no use only have one road that long. Equally if nothing is more than 3' then more 3' roads is a lot more use than 7' roads where you have to stack trains.

Personally I've got a dead end upper level fiddle yard, I just reverse trains out. It's not wholly prototypical, but it's 'off scene', can always use the giant hand in the sky. It was a compromise as I wanted more siding space (see my original point), and the only place it could go was on top of the original through lines. I'd definitely try for through running if it's an option - even if the roads coalesce at the end and loop back around in a dog bone.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:46:49 pm by njee20 »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »
One idea in another forum was a ferryboat used as a fiddleyard. You can shift it to connect to another dock. You can "take off", turn around and then return to the dock... have more than one ferryboat, replace with any other ship when no fy is needed
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:52:07 pm »
Surely that would be a layout in itself? And scarcely believable except in some limited circumstances.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »

As for points - you'll find most stock will traverse smaller radius points at comparatively high speeds, even set track, but longer is always going to be better if it's an option. It depends a bit on the space you have available - you need at least 6" more for a long crossover compared to set track ones, which isn't insignificant given how most of us already have space constraints.

The bit I have underlined is my only disagreement with your post. It is a relatively well known issue, especially with bigger Dapol steamers, to not like set track 9" radius curves and points. The Peco small code 55 points have 12" radius curves and would, IMHO, be the smallest to go for if running the aforesaid Dapol locos. Farish seem to have a bit more 'slop' in the drivetrain and cope better, methinks.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:45 pm »
Yes, quite right, I forget people use steam locos ;)

The reference to MUs and push-pull made me assume it was modern, but that may be wrong. I do certainly advocate the largest points you can fit.

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 04:32:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  My last fiddle yard was the pyramid style as shown above.  Was just curious as to what designs were out there.  I do have quite a lot of space for my layout as it's in the loft and the fiddle yard won't affect the scenic area at all.

I quite like the idea of having the points on the curve for better running in and out of the yard particularly at speed although I was thinking of maybe long length points.

As mentioned no matter how many lanes you have it's easy to fill them up very quickly.

I'd read somewhere that the inclusion of a loop in the fiddle yard would solve the problem for loco hauled stock, the only way I can think to do this is to have the outer lane somehow go onto a loop with a straight crossing across the running lines, i'd have to draw a plan to demonstrate what I have in my mind.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:21 pm »
Yes I still can't quite envisage it. Is it a dead end fiddle yard (loop aside) then, or are they through routes?

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here