!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Royal Train - Current Rake  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
Re: Royal Train - Current Rake
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 12:22:34 pm »

Shaun,

2920 looks good mate, but whilst you wait for Alan to send you battery boxes etc. How about sorting out the exhausts on the roof  ;)  ;)

Cheers

Neal.

Yes I guess I just need to take a deep breath and make a start. I need to get a little piece of mesh from Chris Eve. I have some plastic tubing (evergreen for the exhaust and plan to put some other plasticard around the exhaust area - from the photos there appears to be a little raised area. I think this will also tidy up any problems that might come from cutting the aperture!.

I've just finished two more coaches and now that I've sorted the smooth sides I got those done really quickly. I've used wire for the handrails on the end too which is finer than small staples and on the most recent two I've painted the curtains on the acetate with acrylics - almost putting streaks of light blue and white to show a curtain effect - quite pleased with the effect and avoids paper falling off once the roof is on.

I'll post another pic of the latest coaches once I can separate my boy from the ipad! I think Chris managed to get me some correct paint so I can paint the brake ends now!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:25:39 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »
Well tonight has been good. After the initial dismay of trying to lay the overlays on my first two Royal Train coaches. I hit on a new method of sticking the overlay onto acetate first. I've been getting through the train relatively well but still had to resolve the disappointing first couple of coaches. I was pleased to find that I could still pull the overlay off the donor coach and while the adhesive also pulled of a little bit of detritus, they stuck to the awaiting acetate well. So two coaches were rescued and I'm one happy man. Just the brake coaches to do now, which includes cutting a hole in one of the roofs!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

It seems I now need to cut a hole in a roof... I've been avoiding it for a while. Watch this space!

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 02:29:59 am »
Well i realised recently that i hadnt drawn this thread to its conclusion so i hope pics help to do this.

Enjoy...

So what can i do next?   Well i thought about one of these.!!!(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 04:48:14 am »
These turned out so well!!! I recently got the Bachmann Collectors Club Mk1 retired Royal Support Sleeper and fantasize often about them producing a full rake. I have to admit that this was one of the first threads I read on the forum and I am glad to see its conclusion (though sad there is no more progress to check up on!).  :greatpicturessign:

:)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:06:47 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Quote removed »
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 09:57:23 am »
Hi, great rake and agree on APT - I have 252 power car and for a while on Shapeways was an N Apt underdevelopment but seems to have disappeared.

Robert 

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
Excellent modelling of the Rpyal Train there. Well done.

I'd still love to see the APT done, and I want one too.

Cheers, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:50 am »
Hi, great rake and agree on APT - I have 252 power car and for a while on Shapeways was an N Apt underdevelopment but seems to have disappeared.

Robert
Hi Robert,

Not wanting to steal the thread but.....I know the guys who were doing one of the APTs (there were two being done at one stage) as they belong to my local club. I have seen the test prints and some decorated samples and they look fantastic. We have a club meet on Saturday, so I will see if I can ask them to give an update on this forum.

Cheers, Mark.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:29 pm »
Work is still progressing on one of the APT projects which has been delayed by significant changes to the work and home life of the two modellers involved.

Body shells for most of the cars (TS, TRSB, TU, TF, TBF & M) have been completed. CAD work is still needed on the DTS cabs. Similarly more time needs to be spent on the chassis for the motorised power car, after which the CAD can be modified to take the donor vehicle (currently a stretched Farish class 90).

There will be photos and updates once there's something to show.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:57 pm »
Any chance you could post some details of how you made the exhaust section on the Generator Mk2? I'm toying with the idea of converting a Mk1 BG into an HST Generator coach. Thanks.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »
Any chance you could post some details of how you made the exhaust section on the Generator Mk2? I'm toying with the idea of converting a Mk1 BG into an HST Generator coach. Thanks.

Hi i was lucky enough to get some valuable source material from a forum friend who had also made anexcellent Royal Train. I can't stress enough, the value of good pics pref from all sides of your chosen item to model. I did a lot of thinking, measuring and observing pics before taking knife to plastic. I covered the roof in masking tape and drew onto this cutting holes with a swan morton surgical knife. I found the plastic used on the old roofs very brittle und unforgiving so I had to cut a lot with light strokes. I then made a box within the hole from plasticard to a chosen depth and this then holds the exhausts. The exhausts were made from evergreen pipe and while looking for something that would act as the final pipe to be bent upwards i found that round solder was just the right size and flexable. I guess the key is good souce material. Prepare your model, be acurate and careful with cutting. The more time and care you take, the greater chance, you have of ending up with a good end product..

Good luck with your project

Post some pics!

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:45:15 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:25 am »
Shaun,

Many thanks for the info. If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to post a picture taken from directly above the section that you made? Also, what diameter of Evergreen tube did you use?
Don't hold your breath for pictures; it could be a while before this project gets near the workbench!

Thanks.

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 02:16:54 pm »
@Shaun Harvey

Excellent thread sir, but may I ask what grey did you use for the chassis and roofs? I am resurrecting my rake I completed some 10 years ago, but now wanting to rework it. I originally used Halfords grey primer, but I feel this is to light a shade?

I am soon to be starting 47798 and 799 in RES / Royal livery, and of course I'm going to need to coaches :D

Cheers
Anthony 

Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Now proud owner of Airesby Colliery - An ex exhibition layout that will soon be back on the exhibition circuit, after a little TLC. Thread coming soon...

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything