!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Eigatani Tetsudo  (Read 19540 times)

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
Re: Eigatani Tetsudo
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »
I think its great that you are following strict origami principles for track laying  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »
Hah, actually another thing which occurred to me in my fevered state was that while the layout isn't modular (e.g. in the T-Trak sense), I would like to be able to remove certain sections so I can work on the scenery more easily, and potentially also for access to parts of the layout and possibly also to get the air conditioning unit mounted on a wall above the layout for maintenance. If track is involved, Kato and Tomix do little extendible sections which can be shortened to enable separation of stretches of track. I'm not 100% sure how practical that will be but will bear it in mind as an option. Maybe I could hinge some section for maximum origami foldiness ;)
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2015, 02:00:27 pm »
   :hellosign: Railsquid  :greatpicturessign:  just love your imagination, I will follow with genuine interest. Hope all illness is gone & your fully recovered.
regards Derek

Recovering, thanks - some sort of baby-transmitted lurgy which came back for a second round... On the plus side it means though actual modelling activities have sufferred, it hasn't stopped me from prowling Yahoo Japan's auctions site (Ebay failed here) which is enabling me to build up my collection of Bundesbahn-era locomotives at surprisingly reasonable prices.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
  :hellosign: Railsquid thats good to know and yes you are building a very interesting varied roster.
regards Derek.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »
As you are most definitely running 'Rule 1' I believe pink elephants are permitted :D
It will be interesting to see how SCARM/fevered imagination translates into reality, especially the landscaping.

Well, I've been learning my planning techniques from a master of the subject:

They're all English! They 'drive' on the left :D

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »
They're all English! They 'drive' on the left :D
Hee-hee!  Never noticed that, and the guy who did the drawing (M. C. Escher) was Dutch...
There was a recent prog on the Beeb about him and it's still available on BBC iPlayer catchup.  Well worth a look if you are interested in his work.  I had to study his stuff when I was in Architectural school around a million years ago.  Not for the architectural or the artistic content but for his amazing ability as a draughtsman.
(What is it about this thread that, more than most, seems to drag things off topic?  ;D)

Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2015, 11:22:09 pm »
Another week, another SCARM view:

Looking at the layout from the other end. The green "landscape" is auto-filled in by SCARM and not necessarily representative of the final design. As before, track is a general concept and missing many details. Station names sre provisional, particularly "Karimei-eki" which literally means "Provisional Name Station:D

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2015, 11:52:17 am »
No progress except in my mind (the shelf part layout, which I need to get done before starting this, is however coming on a treat). While the inspiration for the German bit is clear (a little bit of Berlin "Stadtbahn"), I haven't really had much idea about the "British" section - not that I'm intending to model a prototype, but some base to work off would be nice. Anyway a bit of inspiration struck - Birmingham's Moor Street (which I passed through last year) would fit the bill, two through-lines and a couple of bay platforms, and GWR/Midland-region-ish - and in current real life it seems a bit Rule One anyway (blue/grey Mk3s pulled by a loco in DB Verkehrsrot... Tyseley just down the line... I think there was even a kettle parked there for a while). Just to be clear - I'm not going to make a scale model, but hope to capture a bit of the atmosphere. Just don't ask me how I'm going to fit it in, you'll probably regret it ;).

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2015, 06:13:15 pm »
 :hellosign: sounds good, rule one rules, look forward to further updates.
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2016, 08:43:14 am »
Right, not much happened in December due to travel and illness, but I have been doing a bit of research into Birmingham Moor Street and environs and come up with a backstory for a vaguely similar station called Knotmore Street, which fills in the last major "gap" in the plan.

Anyway now I've got thinking about baseboards - excluding the existing shelf layout, the area I have available is approximately 10' x 3' (305cm x 90cm), which I was intending to set up as a "monolithic" flat baseboard. So far I've got a 6'x3' freestanding board which consists of three smaller ready-made boards on top of a simple frame I bodged together. Unfortunately the layout will be down one side of the room with no space to pull it out, which means that 90cm depth will be a bit of a killer. There's also a wall-mounted air conditioning unit which I'll need occasional access to, which will be tricky if there's a swathe of layout in front of it. So I'm now considering a more "modular" approach, building it up in stages starting with a strip along the back, and building out from there in such a way that certain sections will be partially dismantlable should the need arise.  :hmmm:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2016, 06:15:16 pm »
 :hellosign:   Railsquid, would it not be possible to for the board to be hinged on the wall to allow axcces :hmmm:
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »
Hmm no, I had a 6x4 baseboard hinged above my bed when I was a child, no desire to repeat that experience ;). Either I have a scenic section which is detachable, or I have arrange things so I could erect a temporary working platform above the layout  (less tricky than it might sound). Actually, as the space under the A/C unit is where I could have the baseboard extend somewhat more into the room (120cm vs 90cm depth)  the former option might be more practical, also for access to the layout.  :hmmm:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2016, 08:09:57 pm »
 :hellosign:   :sorrysign:  I was thinking the A/C unit was mounted on or near the floor.
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »
By tradition mounted near the ceiling so they can do maximum damage when falling down due to earthquakes.

Anyway - minor burst of cranial planning activity - it occurred to me that to get the line from the shelf layout (the bit I'm currently building) down one level, rather than take it all the way round the far end of the layout, I can run it clockwise around the "mountain" and maybe through an attractive gorge which will neatly solve the transition between the shelf and the "mountain". If you see what I mean. A diagram would help, watch this space.

Will be a bit tricky to implement, but overall will simplify things further "east" along the layout .  :hmmm:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »
 :hellosign: Railsquid, All sounds really splendid, looking forward to further updates thanks for sharing
regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here