!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Eigatani Tetsudo  (Read 20248 times)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Eigatani Tetsudo
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »
Deviation warning,
tear here and discard
--------

This is something which has been puzzling transportation zoologists for decades. Just as the question as to why the chicken crossed the road has yet to be definitively answered
Oh yes it has, Heisenburg uncertainly led the way and Shrodinger put the answer in a box,
oh hang on, that may have involved a cat.

Looks over shoulder for Zog , , ,
tiptoes away , , ,

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »
Deviation warning,
tear here and discard
--------

What next, repitition and hesitation?  ???

This is something which has been puzzling transportation zoologists for decades. Just as the question as to why the chicken crossed the road has yet to be definitively answered
Oh yes it has, Heisenburg uncertainly led the way and Shrodinger put the answer in a box,
oh hang on, that may have involved a cat.
Is it the penguin or the chicken which should go in the Faraday cage?  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:00:04 pm by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »

I'd be bricking it every time I sent something round the lower loop on the left hand side so hope the 40% expansion will allow the passengers some relief from being scared to death :goggleeyes:

Especially for you I've created this impromptu little scene  :D

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2015, 01:05:28 pm »
What next, repitition and hesitation?
;D
yep both if y'all are unlucky, but I promise only for a minute minute
the Faraday cage?
:laughabovepost:
and the cartouche for one of they is , , ?

Nice pics.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »

I'd be bricking it every time I sent something round the lower loop on the left hand side so hope the 40% expansion will allow the passengers some relief from being scared to death :goggleeyes:

Especially for you I've created this impromptu little scene  :D

Eek! Beware the sinkhole :worried:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2015, 02:29:01 pm »
Looks over shoulder for Zog , , ,
tiptoes away , , ,
As well you might!  My net switch over has been delayed until Thursday, so the ineffable joy of my presence remains with you - at least for the nonce.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2015, 07:13:57 am »
Well they say insanity is the flipside of genius, or at least that's what the nice doctors in the white coats tell me, anyway another element has fallen into place with an awkward crunching noise and I have espied the perfect location for the German station I want, which is inspired by the Stadtbahn viaduct which snakes through the centre of Berlin, which I used for many years. Obviously this will be only an approximate representation of a compacted station but It Will Do™ until I win the lottery and can employ a team of peons to model the whole thing to scale.

As an added bonus, the brick-built viaduct which snakes through the centre of Tokyo was inspired by the Berlin Stadtbahn and looks quite similar in parts, so Japanese trains won't look too far out of place.

Hmm, I wonder if I could design the non-Japanese stations to be at least partially modular, so I could swap them out whenever in the mood for a different country...

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »
Right, I bet you thought I'd been put under a restraining order, or in a restraining jacket, but no such luck - the Rapid Prototyping Unit has been out and about and has come up with the below to see how well the fevered vision of a very high-level bridge boldy spanning the centre of the layout would work out:

Well, visually it looks full of potential for me.

We pan back a little for some broader context:

Hmm, looks like the Rapid Prototyping Unit ran out of viaduct elements... However, panning even further back, we see an obvious problem:

which is that the highest-level track - which is intended to curve around anti-clockwise sloping down to join up with the medium-level track somewhere in the vicinity of the tall white building - would dominate the whole right-hand side of the baseboard, making it difficult to see or access the area behind it. So looks like Plan B. Or Plan C. Need to think about this a bit more.

By the way, I should point out that the final baseboard will be a little larger than what is visible here, and I don't intend making so much use of those bulky-looking high-level track sections in the final version, so there will be more room to pack things in than there looks  :D

I should also note that the current setup was able to hold the attention of an 8-month old baby for about 30 minutes, which is quite good going and beats the Teletubbies (15 minutes, as I have to skip the bit in the middle featuring real children).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:53:26 pm by railsquid »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2015, 11:51:33 pm »
  :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  needs a real high level connection.
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 07:09:08 am »
Right, been laid low with a cold and spent some time in bed with a fevered imagination, this is the result filtered through SCARM, minus the pink elephants

Here we see the layout as a guest of one of the hot spring (onsen) resort guests might see it, descending from their hotel on the famous mountain Kabocha-ga-dake to the small station serving the resort, Kabocha-ga-dake Onsen Eki. (Note: the depression in front of the track in the foreground should actually be mountain but I haven't had the energy to work out how to do that yet).

Down in the valley they see a not untypical Japanese urban landscape, packed with buildings and railway lines. Unusually however, some of the stations look distinctly un-Japanese. In the foreground, a blue-grey loco-hauled train is stopped at platforms with a very British look to them. Next to the station, sidings and a small TMD are awash in a sea of blue. Behind this, a brick-built viaduct, strangely reminiscent of the Stadtbahn in Berlin, runs diagonally across the valley. The casual observer could almost imagine that a pre-war S-Bahn unit is stopped at one of the platforms.

Further behind this, a sort of Japanese normality returns, with a typical Shinkansen-style station with an actual Shinkansen stopped at a platform. Like the other stations, it has two platforms (tracks), but unlike the others - which are effectively passing loops - they belong to independent running lines. The outer one is a broad loop running more-or-less level around the outer edges of the available space with little grade variation - its classic roundy-roundiness partially obscured by tunnels, buildings etc.. Around this swish and swoosh high-speed trains, or any other trains happier with wider curves and more gentle gradients than available elsewhere on the layout. The inner platform enables passengers to change to the inner loop, which is more a roundy-roundy-up-and-downy expressed as a folded dogbone. It connects with the previously mentioned British and German stations in non-obvious ways.

Boarding their railcar-like train at the tiny Kabocha-ga-dake Onsen Eki station, the returning hot spring guests are somewhat alarmed by the apparently steep gradient on a tight curve winding down around the mountain, but soon they're onto an elevated straight, running on an embankment on the side of the track-filled valley. They glimpse the British and German stations to their right. Passing behind and above the Shinkansen station, the line curves through and descends into an increasingly urban area, and the Shinkansen station is again visible on the right, but this time from the front. However the railcar passes this by, joining what looks like a main line heading back towards the mountain (passing above the British station down to the left) - where it dives into a tunnel, curving downwards to the left before emerging onto the floor of the valley, which the little diesel car speeds across, engines screaming in a valiant attempt to keep pace with the Shinkansen passing by on the raised line to one side. The passengers are somewhat bemused to see the British station to their left, but it soon passes by as the train ducks under a series of bridges (one of which they'd previously passed over), curving through the heart of the city before coming to a halt at a tram/light-rail style stop in front of the Shinkansen station. Following an exchange of passengers, the railcar starts off down a street, and any guests who have been on the train since it started its trip are bemused to spy the British station for a fourth time, this again to their left. It fades out of sight permanently as they pass into yet another tunnel, this time wandering between what look like giant IKEA shelf supports until the train finally comes to rest in an underground station, which might look a bit like this:

By this time, passengers from the station of origin will have travelled over actual 15 metres (not bad going bearing in mind the maximum dimension of the layout is just over 3 metres) and descended a scale 75 feet. Shaken by the ride (no doubt there'll be the odd track join with bumps measured in scale inches) they form an orderly queue at the station kiosk to buy bottles of Pocari Sweat.

Afterwards, the more die-hard train fans cross the platform to board some sort of underground train, which takes them back the way they came, except it doesn't turn off up the mountain branch (impassable to all but the smallest of trains), rather continues to the station-on-the-IKEA-shelf, leaving them 12cm above their starting point. At this juncture the more sane ones will be asking themselves why they didn't walk. Luckily an excursion train formed of Mk1 coaches including a well-stocked bar coach is waiting to depart from the other platform, which takes them all the way back down to the valley, where they finally reach the British station. Not content with that trip, some board a waiting "Flying Hamburger" which transports them - via the German station - up to the Shinkansen station, where they change into an express train which whisks them round and round until they start regretting their earlier beers.

So... this is not going to be your typical GWR branch line... I should point out that the initial design was in my head, then on paper, before being transferred to SCARM, which is excellent for checking that the plan is viable and that gradients/clearances work... The current plan represents the basic structure and is missing much detail such as sidings, and will certainly be modified as I go along...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:28:57 pm by railsquid, Reason: Add link for Pocari Sweat »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 09:54:36 am »
As you are most definitely running 'Rule 1' I believe pink elephants are permitted :D
It will be interesting to see how SCARM/fevered imagination translates into reality, especially the landscaping.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:19 am »
As you are most definitely running 'Rule 1' I believe pink elephants are permitted :D
It will be interesting to see how SCARM/fevered imagination translates into reality, especially the landscaping.

Well, I've been learning my planning techniques from a master of the subject:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:10 am »
Anyway there is some madness insanity method in my madness, I have some ideas about how to achieve this structurally. It's not going to be a modular layout, but some element of modularity will be involved. :idea:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 12:25:30 pm »
I should also add there will be some element of compromise - trains will be loco + 3 or 4 coaches (or 4-car multiple units) at most - this is something I standardized on a while back when I thought I would  have less space. On the plus side this means the gradients involved will be much less of an issue, even though they'll mainly be on curves, and yes I have spent much of the past few months running trains up and down such gradients and am satisified they are workable for the trains I run.  :D

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2015, 12:48:31 pm »
   :hellosign: Railsquid  :greatpicturessign:  just love your imagination, I will follow with genuine interest. Hope all illness is gone & your fully recovered.
regards Derek

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here