!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Eigatani Tetsudo  (Read 18632 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Eigatani Tetsudo
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:43 pm »
a word implying 'an area of tempestuous weather'.
I've been pondering for a wee while now if I should post the following and risk diverting poor 'squids thread even further ! :) ----
Forget the fancy Doric and Athens stuff, I prefer the (almost onomatopoeic) Roman description of these lands* as
Hyperborea **

*although there are schools who do not accept that they had in mind the Celtic lands.

** there are schools who describe that land as being beyond the Boreas (North Wind) influence, hence hyper- , it being a land of perpetual sunshine: but I think that is either wishful thinking or a, how shall I put this, , a chinese whisper of a garbled tale of someone who spent only a brief high summer in the arctic.
Nevertheless to get to that land of perpetual sunshine one still needs must pass through Scotland :(

Ducks&Runs

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 12:06:48 am »
Last Edit: Today at 04:17:40 pm by railsquid, Reason: Correct transliteration of name of Japanese wartime prime minister
"ideographic characters"

What an interesting thread. I am grappling with the concept of 'transliterating' ideograms !
and wondering where they start and  pictograms end. More Googling needed I think,,,

facinating stuff but I am glad I chose Math, Phys and Chem (after failing miserably at my French O level ! )

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:54 am »
Last Edit: Today at 04:17:40 pm by railsquid, Reason: Correct transliteration of name of Japanese wartime prime minister
"ideographic characters"

What an interesting thread. I am grappling with the concept of 'transliterating' ideograms !
and wondering where they start and  pictograms end. More Googling needed I think,,,
Actually the technical term is "logogram". It's been a while since I worried about the technical details of this stuff. As for transliteration, it's the transliteration of the pronunciation of the ideogram into the Latin alphabet which I slipped up on, writing "Togo" instead of "Tojo" ("Togo Heihachijiro" being another prominent historical figure, the admiral who lead the Japanese navy to victory over Russia in 1906, in a battleship built in Barrow-in-Furness).

Anyway now the rush-hour has died down, I'll pop out for a ride on a densha ("電車 / electric cart").
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 02:07:27 am »

Ah I was taking litterating to be too litteral  :worried: :)

> "logogram".
noted !
isnt google a wonderful thing !

> into the Latin alphabet
Yep, I saw where you were but was pondering the metadata ;)

>which I slipped up on, writing "Togo" instead of "Tojo" ("Togo Heihachijiro" being another prominent historical figure, the admiral who lead the Japanese navy to victory over Russia in 1906, in a battleship built in Barrow-in-Furness).

duh yes ! of course ! that that was in my sub while I was trying to figure what you had corrected (suggest use of the strike-out character subsequently :)  (s) (/s)  where the [ and ] are substituted

umm err does that   woik heer   work here ?  Oh yes!

Anyway now the rush-hour has died down, I'll pop out for a ride on a densha ("電車 / electric cart").
Rather you than me Gunga Din :)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 02:24:29 am »
("電車 / electric cart").
Oh go on then ! I'll bite - -

how does one get from
> with no native system for expressing foreign names or other troublesome words from distant parts.

to Post Faraday (the cart bit I get !! i am boggling about electric fields*)

>the Chinese had to hastily come up with a way of expressing the concept of

so did we !

* let alone manifolds ;

Edit : the mathematical ones, not the things in petrol engines :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:29:34 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 02:32:00 am »

>which I slipped up on, writing "Togo" instead of "Tojo" ("Togo Heihachijiro" being another prominent historical figure, the admiral who lead the Japanese navy to victory over Russia in 1906, in a battleship built in Barrow-in-Furness).

duh yes ! of course ! that that was in my sub while I was trying to figure what you had corrected (suggest use of the strike-out character subsequently :)  (s) (/s)  where the [ and ] are substituted

umm err does that   woik heer   work here ?  Oh yes!

Hmm, point taken but I'm planning a layout not writing an academic dissertation. Spent way too long in tertiary education with that kind of thing. Still gives me nightmares. :confused2: So, back to these train thingies... this is the current state-of-play on the main layout area (pending baseboard expansion by about 40%):

Run now while you have the chance.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 02:46:56 am »
Hmm, point taken but I'm planning a layout not writing an academic dissertation. Spent way too long in tertiary education with that kind of thing. Still gives me nightmares.

Run now while you have the chance.
Yes quite so,
sorry, 'twas that Zog fella wot  led me astray, well I'll blame him :) , forgive ?

running now,

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:41:35 pm by MalcolmAL, Reason: speeling »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:32 am »
Hi,

I had a very boozy lunch on Sunday, an early start Monday so I crashed when I got in. Can't sleep now so have just read the whole of this thread and think my brain might burst.

Did like the 'it's pretty impossible to pronounce many Japanese place names unless you know how they're pronounced'.....to be sure, to be sure  :D

Back to trains and the layout, looking good and looking forward to more.

Cheers weave, with a red wine to help me get some sleep  :beers:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 04:32:56 am »
sorry, 'twas that Zog fella wot  led me astary, well I'll blame him :) , forgive ?

running now,
Hey now!  Oh, you are so lucky.  My internod thingie is gonna go off any time now.  I'm going over to fiber some time in the next 48 hours and the current supplier is due to stop service today.  That means that, for now, I can't defend my self against your gross calumny...  But don't, for even a moment, think that I will roll over and accept your devilish attempts to place such a blight on my otherwise perfect character.
Huh, indeed not!
However, in case of protracted delay, let me take this opportunity to apologise to the squiderator for my part in the derailment of his thread...

Regards (to most of you (insert sound of disparaging sniff)),  Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 05:27:35 am »
I was wondering what was supporting that curved track on the left side, but then remembered that the Kato stuff has a moulded base.

Much like the 1950s Triang track!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 06:05:42 am »
I was wondering what was supporting that curved track on the left side, but then remembered that the Kato stuff has a moulded base.

Much like the 1950s Triang track!

Very much plug'n'play. Some of the track you see is actually Tomix Finetrack, which has a much better elevation support system than Kato (if you look carefully on the raised loop on the left, part of it is cunningly supported with coffee stirrers - wonderfully versatile things - but Tomix do provide beams which would support that particular configuration). At one point I had a curved section of Tomix track literally hanging in the air supported only by the connection to the neighbouring track pieces - it flexed somewhat, but was otherwise stable for months until I rearranged things.

Now, we can probably devote a whole forum to Unitrack/Finetrack (I believe Fleischmann also offers a similar system) vs Everything else, and rest assured if I had the time I'd be hand-building my own code 40 track while chanting Buddhist mantras, but as a way of getting up and running with limited time it's a wonderful system and I probably won't be coming round to anyone's house to force it on them. Also it's possible to ballast it into submission like this:

which doesn't look too bad even though my ballasting skills are not the best (on the plus side the carpet has a nice grey sheen to it). Not that I foresee an offer to come and model at Pendon at any time in my future.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:07:31 am by railsquid »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 07:10:43 am »
Thanks for answering my query about the unsupported track! You are also quite correct in the excellent way of putting it - it can be "ballasted into submission" as your good self and others on this forum have demonstrated.  :thumbsup:

Next dumb question from me.... why is there a penguin waiting for the train?  ???

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:25 am »
Thanks for answering my query about the unsupported track! You are also quite correct in the excellent way of putting it - it can be "ballasted into submission" as your good self and others on this forum have demonstrated.  :thumbsup:

That reminds me, while wandering through the Kato HQ store the other day, as one does, I noticed in their scenic section they have on offer tubs of "ballast paste" to tart up one's plastic faux-ballast shoulders.

Next dumb question from me.... why is there a penguin waiting for the train?  ???
This is something which has been puzzling transportation zoologists for decades. Just as the question as to why the chicken crossed the road has yet to be definitively answered, the motivation for the penguin to stand on a railway station platform is not yet fully understood. Although arguably he (?) appears to be demonstratively showing the Edvard-Monchesque squid a cold shoulder, it has been speculated that he is merely staring forlornly over the industrial wasteland omitted from the layout due to lack of space, pining for better days.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:50 am »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:35 am »

I'd be bricking it every time I sent something round the lower loop on the left hand side so hope the 40% expansion will allow the passengers some relief from being scared to death :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here