!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 30370 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
  Purists will still hyperventilate at the implausible juxtapositions but it works for me.

As long as it works for you, let the other hyperventilate at your implausible juxtapositions  :thumbsup:.  Hope the hallucinations are of the nice kind!  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline RST

• N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: November 10, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »
Very minor thing in the grand scale of things but I am annoyed with myself:

A while back I convinced myself (sucsessfully) NOT to buy any railway magazine which chooses to include and wrap junk mail inside a sealed plastic bag.  Today I broke that rule buying latest Hornby hermetically sealed magazine again :doh:
Second -I like Hornby Magazine but while one of the great contributors is an exceptional modeller and a great contributor to the magazine including his Ngauge works -I cannot stand anything to do with him as he's mixed political views with his hobby on his own website. He's only about 12 miles from me which is unusual to find in the Highlands around Inverness! But such a shame we are a million miles apart.  Ignorance would have been bliss which is why we should never be allowed to bring national politics into hobbies!!

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: November 12, 2016, 02:42:54 pm »
Feeling depressed after yet another sleepless night the good lady and I went to the seaside fours days ago for a short walk and some Pie'n'Chips.
That cheered me up. :thumbsup:

Today a letter arrived to celebrate our journey to the sea. A nice little missive from my good friends at the Lincolnshire Police Traffic Process Unit. Something about photographic evidence and a 30 mph limit.  :doh:

Now I'm even more cheerful.  :(

Better buy another model train. :D

That'll restore the balance. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #588 on: November 25, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »
Despite my best laid plans it seems I will be unable to attend my first Warley show this weekend due to very poor health of late.

Still, I wish everyone, exhibitors and visitors alike, a successful show - and don't spend too much! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: November 25, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »
Hope it is nowt too serious Mike and that you soon improve. And never mind missing Warley - think of the money you have saved!  :beers:
David.

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: November 25, 2016, 07:21:45 pm »
Hope it is nowt too serious Mike and that you soon improve. And never mind missing Warley - think of the money you have saved!  :beers:

Many thanks is David, I've had a long term illness for over 25 years but the current sapper of my strength is late-onset asthma that began in May after serious bronchitis and is yet to stabilise.  Getting there though, albeit haltingly slowly.

But as to saving money....... unfortunately this iPad on my lap is connected to some mysterious force that channels various packages directly to my door! ;). Three are due any day now. :D

:beers: - -and maybe a glass or two of Cuba's finest with lime and Coke. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #591 on: November 25, 2016, 08:02:15 pm »
unfortunately this iPad on my lap is connected to some mysterious force that channels various packages directly to my door!

My laptop does that - must have the same fault  ;)
David.

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
Just seen my estranged Fathers empty house in a Cornish village on rightmove. Not sure how I feel as I know the will named a charity as the benificiary.
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #593 on: November 25, 2016, 08:35:59 pm »
Despite my best laid plans it seems I will be unable to attend my first Warley show this weekend due to very poor health of late.

Hope you're feeling more chipper very soon, Mike.

Just seen my estranged Fathers empty house in a Cornish village on rightmove. Not sure how I feel as I know the will named a charity as the benificiary.

That's got to have created a wide range of emotions, Colin.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2017, 05:59:54 pm »
So... when I win the EuroMegaBallBillion lottery or whatever (note to self: buy tickets) I will employ some mad scientist types to build me a time machine and I will go back to the 1960s and personally hunt down all N gauge manufacturers and forcibly force them to use a Single Standardized Coupling Socket. They can stick with the Arnold coupler,or go with some weird proprietary design, as long as it can be pulled out and replaced by another arbitrary type, and that without having to dismantle the locomotive/power car chassis.   >:D
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:01 pm »
So... when I win the EuroMegaBallBillion lottery or whatever (note to self: buy tickets) I will employ some mad scientist types to build me a time machine and I will go back to the 1960s and personally hunt down all N gauge manufacturers and forcibly force them to use a Single Standardized Coupling Socket. They can stick with the Arnold coupler,or go with some weird proprietary design, as long as it can be pulled out and replaced by another arbitrary type, and that without having to dismantle the locomotive/power car chassis.   >:D

Oddly I was talking to my good lady this very morning about the lack of clarity, for me at least, of what couplers are out there, what's compatible with what, and what's good and what's bad, how they are each mounted, and why on Earth are there so many different types?

Okay, so the answer to the last one is pretty obvious, but I can't help but hanker after a thread on here penned by a knowledgeable set of individuals who can set the current situation straight.

As a newcomer to N, I have recently bought a few trains from Kato and Fleischmann (and a Tomix track Cleaning car) and already there are 4 different coupling types to contend with. And as for understanding what NEM pocket types there are, and all the other couplers that may fall into my possession over the coming years, I am, as with many things these days, confused.

There are some posts on this forum on the subject, but a dedicated and comprehensive thread would be an asset.

Any takers? It would make me and I'm sure many others, very happy.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:08 am »

Oddly I was talking to my good lady this very morning about the lack of clarity, for me at least, of what couplers are out there, what's compatible with what, and what's good and what's bad, how they are each mounted, and why on Earth are there so many different types?

Okay, so the answer to the last one is pretty obvious, but I can't help but hanker after a thread on here penned by a knowledgeable set of individuals who can set the current situation straight.

As a newcomer to N, I have recently bought a few trains from Kato and Fleischmann (and a Tomix track Cleaning car) and already there are 4 different coupling types to contend with. And as for understanding what NEM pocket types there are, and all the other couplers that may fall into my possession over the coming years, I am, as with many things these days, confused.

There are some posts on this forum on the subject, but a dedicated and comprehensive thread would be an asset.

Any takers? It would make me and I'm sure many others, very happy.
I think there was an article on the subject in the NGS journal not so long ago, but I suspect it wasn't comprehensive. I'm just waking up to the wide range of coupling types Kato in particular makes use of. I discovered one of my locos needs a type I'd never seen before, luckily it's not a problem to get hold of the parts here.

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: January 20, 2017, 02:35:45 am »
It's after 2:30 in the morning and I'm still awake - again! :( The prospect is, if all goes according to form, that I shall still be awake as the big hand is on the 12 and the little one is between 5 and 6. :(
In the interim I shall be, in turns, jumpy, exhausted, shattered, half-dead and going out of my mind.
Then, at last I shall go to sleep, not to wake again until at least an hour later! :(

Such has been my nightly joy now for months, with few respites, as the drugs I have to take to control the asthma that originated back in April continue to demonstrate their intolerance to me.

I put it that way because it makes me feel better, but in truth it's this damned body of mine that is the villain of the peace. I've got more intolerances than I care to mention, and this is just the latest. Doc's had me on more variations on a theme of asthma control than I can accurately recall, and though the asthma doesn't bother me much at all now (unless I stop taking the drugs), the drugs do!

So it'll be back to the Doc next week for yet another review and a request to come off the steroids - it's them at the root of this - and try the non-steroidal approach. But they are none too effective, it seems, and have their own group of side effects that will probably......................... :(

Ah well, at least it's peaceful here - except for the idiot tapping his fingers on an iPad screen. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: January 20, 2017, 04:19:55 am »
hope you can drift.of soon   Had a few rounds of heavy.duty insomnia myself  , never fun.

Early afternoon hete in Tokyo so wide awake of course.

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:52 am »
Very sorry to hear that, Mike, and hope things improve for you very soon.
I tend to find watching snooker or darts has the desired effect but don't think it will do for you :no:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything