!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
This board is the main in out wiring board for the whole layout,  I think you can see why it took me so long to get going after others had failed. There will be a major rewire once I get to that stage.

Is it safe to come out yet, Mummy? :uneasy:

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2018, 04:01:59 pm »
Each of the blue capacitors is an individual  cdu to a point, they are  switched by a relay on the veroboard,  by a 5v signal switched on the control panel.
I've taken about 36 pcbs off the layout  so far,  mostly to do with track sensing,  and led signal drivers. With interfacing logic between them and the points.
I'm intending to keep the individual  Cdus , but switch  semafore signals directly from the control panel.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:39 pm »
Evening all,
I dug out the bag of points that came with the layout,  there is about 20 in there.  Unfortunately most are long Y s,  there were 3 medium lefts,  but what I wanted for the fiddle yard were 4 short lefts.  I feel an order coming on..
So a lot of this evenings work was cutting out the back board,  and attaching it.  Along with a short scenic back board that will hide part of the fiddle yard.
I also need to find my box of piano hinges so I can fit the front hinged baseboard.

Next week  hopefully  I'll have the four points to fit and the track from them to the end of board 3. Once that section of fiddle yard is installed then it's time to start building the foothills of Bheinn  Ghott.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2018, 05:00:49 pm »
Went to the J50 group show today,  at Neatishead village hall,  3 tiny n gauge layouts,  but they were unfortunately designed to please children.

However I did come way with 4 BR period maroon carriages and few wagons at very reasonable  second hand prices.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
Well everything didn't go to. Plan,  mostly because I forgot the dremel, so the 4 points are loosely in place as is a metre of track,  but without the dremel I can't do precise track cuts nor drill holes for track pins.
 The cork underlay  was fitted, as was a short section of scenic back board,  the hillside was planned.
So next week I must remember dremel, cutting disks and drill bits.  Also 2 inch polystyrene  for hill construction  and two small bits of wood to brace between the scenic back board and the layout back board.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2018, 10:37:41 pm »
Well I remembered the dremel  and the polystyrene,  but I forgot on Wednesday to buy the expanded mesh I'm going to use to terraform most of the hillside over the fiddle yard.

So five fiddle yard sidings laid and one lead in track.  Mostly using recovered track from the punters side of the layout.  Then the lower slopes of the hillside were laid with polystyrene and PVA. That's now weighted down till next week. Two bracing bars were cut and installed between the scenic back board and the actual backboard .

While sat contemplating the layout I realized that thanks to another track change I have two redundant  points I could remove.  This would give me two more spare point motors, and if recovered safely two spare points.  There is already another redundant point to remove. So I think next weeks work will be these track changes on the scenic side, and hopefully  the terraforming.

I also try to remember  to take some more photos..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:39 pm »
Well I forgot to take the tablet  to get more photos,  sorry.

What I did take Was The sheet of expanded aluminium, so after some trial fits and some trimming of polystyrene this was bent and fitted to Shape .

I'm sure I saw a good pair of tin snips on the club tool wall, but no there weren't so a club member lent me his small pair.

Much cutting during which I noticed  some of the holes were filled with red stuff where did that come from?  Then I realized,  me,   the sharp edges had caused several small leaks in my hands. Another club member assisted by holding the mesh from then on, no further small leaks occurred.

The mesh was then screwed to the back board,  and weighed down onto the poly at the front.  It was propped up underneath to give the right curve,  after which several layers of my usual PVA / polyfilla /water mix pasted onto J cloths were applied.

Next week the weight should be removed,  then the front layers applied,   rock faces and track bed start to be formed

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2018, 10:31:58 pm »
evening all,  I remembered the tablet  , so here are some photos

First,  the hillside on board three,  the weight removed,  if you can see near the top there are some red splodges,  that's where my hands leaked last week...
This week all that bare polystyrene and the front of the hillside all the way along has been covered  in polyfilla and j cloths. The whole hillside had another coat as well it was still too springy.

Second a long shot from board 2 to board three,  showing where the track comes off the viaduct to get to the hillside.

Third a shot from the rear. Showing under the hillside.

Once all that work of slartybartfast was done,  I turned ganger, at the start of the branch line there was a cross over,  but since on board one I had linked those two lines with a single point.  The cross over was removed,  then if you observe picture 1 , there is a siding near the hillside,  well most of that has been removed.  There will be just a single track that side of the platform you can see the empty spaces for the platform..

Next week,  the navi's work of creating  the cutting along the hillside will continue,  then the ganger will finish removing old track and hopefully start laying the new alignment.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here