!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Britannia  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Britannia
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:35 pm »
Was the split yoke wet with oil?

Most domestic oils - especially WD40 will split plastic.

I use PTFE dry lubricant sparingly.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 10:59:56 pm »
No it was dry as a bone. I have never been a fan of over lubricating.

The big layout is in progress and I got both out after ownership of several years to run on my test track and to fit the Golden Arrow parts.
Both had worked fine when bought, but when everyone else was saying how good the model was, I was complaining that the loco and tender were no good on 1st radius curves, and the tender fouled the cab stopping it from negotiating the curves.

In retrospect, that may actually have been because the connection screws on the tender-loco connector were too tight, and the free movement anticipated wasn't there, or the cables (as explained by DCC supplies) were too stiff to let the model negotiate curves properly.

For my own attempts at improving the model, I had bought black Iron Duke nameplates as the red ones supplied were both oversize and wrong colour.
I fitted all the bits (nameplates, arrows and headboard) apart from the flags (they still scare me to fit) and that's when it all went Pete Tong.

Still - all is well now.

Bob

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 09:07:31 am »
In retrospect, that may actually have been because the connection screws on the tender-loco connector were too tight, and the free movement anticipated wasn't there, or the cables (as explained by DCC supplies) were too stiff to let the model negotiate curves properly.

These wires tend to come apart a lot on Dapol tender locos - this is not at all uncommon.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 06:19:58 pm »
I bought a "Tornado" on eBay- which had been "attacked by the cat".  The drawbar was broken and I thought that as it was sufficiently cheap I'd get it serviced by DCC Supplies with a new drawbar fitted as part of the service.

Unfortunately it came back with the wrong drawbar- the Britannia drawbar is T-shaped, the oval slot being at the tender end.  If fitted with a straight drawbar the loco falls off the track on R3 curves..

A phone call to Fiona at DCC Supplies had a correct drawbar in the post and the loco now runs sweetly and is waiting its turn for weathering.

Les

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:14 pm »
I solved the issue. After returning Oliver Cromwell I bought a Minitrix Boadicea off eBay at a little over half the price. I am now reconsidering my pre-order of a Valanced Mallard!

To leave it or not to leave it, THAT is the question.

With apologies to William Shakespeare.

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 09:53:36 am »
I bought the Britannia at the open day. When I got it home it just made a grinding noise. Took it to DCC supplies to cut long story short they sent me a replacement from Dapol. Now the replacement altho it is quieter still makes the grinding noise. I never had this on any other dapol locos just it just need a lot more running in or is this normal?

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 08:10:10 pm »
They can be noisy at first but a grinding noise isn't normal.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:41 pm »
Could be a bent internal drive coupling that causes the driveshaft to rattle against the cab floor. On the Brit the clearances here are small.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2016, 09:23:53 pm »
I visited Brunel Models in Yatton yesterday. He has a few Brits on offer and had a customer bring one back while I was in the shop. It was a bit disconcerting to see him go through a few to find one that worked properly. Maybe there are a few duds in that particular batch?

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:43 pm »
As I model the former Great Eastern area in the steam/diesel transition period, 'Britannias' were a must for me. I have four Minitrix ones (the oldest now about 40 years old and have run several real miles) and apart from one or two sets of new tyres, they have been no problem.
Since their introduction, I have bought five Dapol 'Britannias' over the years, and all have had problems of one sort or another, four being repaired under guarantee by DCC supplies. One had-literally- a meltdown when despite being parked, the electronic board overheated and melted the tender (it must have spanned a dodgy track joint, I think) Anyone got a spare tender top?.
My latest one, bought in October, had developed a funny 'buzz' and partial stall at certain places on the layout; to cut a long story short, it now has a new chassis which I purchased as a spare when replacing the melted tender.
I find that, as mentioned, the loco-tender wires can be a problem; to minimise potential breakages, I now run the wires behind the tender drawbar fixing point to give the effect of them crossing left-right and V/V to minimise the flexing required when running. I have also found that the solder joint between the screw posts and the tender or loco pick up strips is often poor, leading to the post ripping out when unscrewing the wire to replace it.
Maybe I've just been unlucky-but, strangely, I have (so far!) not had ANY problems with my Dapol B17s. But when they do run well-and they generally do now-to see them at the head of a ten coach train is what N gauge is all about ;)
Would I get another-I really don't know..........
Martyn
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:44:23 pm by martyn, Reason: Correction »

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 04:30:41 pm »
Anyone got a spare tender top?
No, but worth asking DCC. I had a very similar issue with a 9F very recently, and although listed as out of stock on their website they found me a black tender top in their 'bits' box.
Cheers
Clive

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
Thanks, Clive.
A new tender top came as part of the spares, but it was unpainted and also lacked fittings such as handrails, ladder, etc.
I might give them a call to se if they have a fully fitted and painted one.
Martyn

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 04:46:47 pm »
it was unpainted and also lacked fittings such as handrails, ladder, etc.

Ditto. I transferred the bits across from the warped one. Tad fiddly. Used a drill in a pin chuck to remove the 'welds'. The topside handrail knobs can slide off the rails so I'd be tempted to run a dropette of super glue onto the outer end knobs before removing the rail assembly. I haven't got around to sliding a crest decal on yet. It doesn't look that wrong without one!
Cheers

Clive

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
Hi again Clive;
I was going to do exactly that, but I couldn't find an acceptable paint match to Dapol's body colour. I even bought a set of Fox 'Britannia' ready made lining transfers-they got used elsewhere, eventually.
Martyn

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »
Whilst there are many people on here who are really good at railway modelling & as such are engineers. However, there are some of us who are not & never will be. That is not to say that I don't enjoy the hobby & we are building a layoutvwe are happy with. So, you have to ask the question why are Dapol happy to issue instructions for me to get my fists of ham & eyes that don't work very well anymore into the innards of a beautiful loco? Net result is a load of bits & a very sorry looking Robert Burns! The only saving grace is that I only paid 75 off of a well known site for it. The previous owner stated that it had not been run in or oiled. So...... Anyway is there someone who could sort it? Am happy to pay for your time but woul rather someone on here do the repairs  than a shop.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything