!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 41773 times)

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #945 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »
I think, I'm not sure and I'm very open to correction on this but RhB red is RAL 4000. The red specified for Transport for London Buses is also RAL 4000.

It's a long time since I was in London but RAL 4000 looks right to me. It might just save a long journey!

HTH,

Mike Beard.

Some time back I researched the RhB red and came across a detail among the the RhB-info.ch webpages themselves, that the colour is NCS (1680-Y94R). The webpage addy I copied is no longer valid but I had copied the detail to a file:

RhB-rot für Streckenlokomotiven und Personenwagen:
Zwischen Ral 3001 und 3020
NCS 1680 Y 94 R

As far as my German goes, ‘zwischen’ would be ‘between’, so in this context I have always thought that it means it is not possible to totally define it in terms of a single RAL colour number, but as being a shade somewhere between two RAL colours.

Looking up this NCS ref online gives the correct red colour as far as I can tell,  as well as various webpages (mostly modellers discussing the very subject of what the colour actually is!) mentioning this being the RhB red.

From what I learnt there is no commercially available exact paint available, and it seems many use the closest they can of available paints, such as RAL 3002, Carmine Red.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:55:03 pm by daffy, Reason: Added detail »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #946 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:11 am »
I think, I'm not sure and I'm very open to correction on this but RhB red is RAL 4000. The red specified for Transport for London Buses is also RAL 4000.

It's a long time since I was in London but RAL 4000 looks right to me. It might just save a long journey!

HTH,

Mike Beard.

No, RhB red is not RAL 4000, RAL 4000 is a purple violet color. You meant RAL 3000 ? These are the colors I bought so far and out of the three red colors it is possible to mix the same red Kato is using. But red is only that exact red till the loco left the paint shop, sun and weather will change the "original" RhB red very quickly into one of 50 shades of red.

RhB red

RAL3000           Vallejo 70.947
RAL3002           Vallejo 70.908
RAL3020           Vallejo 70.909

Frame "gray"

RAL7015           Vallejo 70.868

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2018, 05:21:15 am »
Hi Guys,

Yes, sorry. RAL 3000 is the correct starting point. That's the trouble when you work from memory, can be fatal.

I wish we could get a direct line into Kato as their "Frame Grey" looks incredibly dark compared with the pictures they publish.

Mike Beard.

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: October 14, 2018, 08:25:19 am »
Don't use Micro Trains True scale couplers, unless you are running the trains on straight track, the slightest curve will derail them! I know, I tried them on a set of N scale brass California Zephyr coaches and they derailed when entering a curve. They don't have the swing that a 1015 has plus they are not compatible with any other knuckle coupler. The advantage of the Z coupler is if you ever buy any wagons from AB Modell then they fit the coupler pockets perfectly. You will find they are classed as the standard coupler for N RhB. I'm sticking with Z couplers as I prefer them. To me the 1015 look the same as using a Hornby tension lock coupler on a OO model, ugly and unsightly, but thats my personal opinion. I would be interested to see what a 1015 looks like on a Kato GE4/4 III. The 4/4 II, has less room and only just takes a Z coupler.

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #949 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:42 am »
Don't use Micro Trains True scale couplers, unless you are running the trains on straight track, the slightest curve will derail them!

I painted, decaled and weathered a whole coal train for a customer. 36 FoxValley Trinity RD4 coal cars which come from China with the clone MTL 1015 coupler and the customer wanted them replaced with True Scale coupler. This train is running on his layout with hand laid track without any problems and yes, he has curves on his Tehachapi themed layout  ;)

steve   

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here