!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 41809 times)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:53 am »
The question is where is the quoted 16000mm over buffers measured? If it includes the coupling, then the Kato body would be the correct length there or there

Ge4/4 IIIs (and most RHB stock) do have a single buffer as you well know. Length over buffers is a standard metric, and shouldnít include couplers or anything like that. Itís not the end of the world, itís close, but they are short.

Iím glad youíre happy with the track width, i do hope to see your layout sometime, for me it really grates and youíll never get away from that. That others are happy is evident from the expansion of the range, but Iím not keen.

I also said theyíre deviating from the trainset market their first models appealed to. Twice. No need to be so defensive.

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2018, 07:04:30 am »
ps - sorry about all the posts but lots of interesting debate today!

No apology necessary Gordon, as I for one am quite happy with the Kato RhB items, and appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Any discrepancies in scaling, or detail differences in the modelling are very minor issues for me, and as you say, the recent releases from Kato are very good.
Perhaps it is age and poor eyesight, but when viewing a Kato model at normal viewing distances, I like what I see. With photographs of models often being presented in a magnified state, it is always going to be possible to see detail problems, but given the N scale we are dealing with I find them very acceptable. For the price they are outstanding, especially given the quality of the loco internals. Things could always be improved, but then I suspect the price would rise accordingly.

I am also happy to mix 1/148, 1/150 and 1/160 scales, my layout being a mix of SBB and RhB operations (with a bit of BLS thrown in as in the real world, and also to satisfy Rule #1).   
For vehicles, I find the Busch, Herpa, Noch, Rietze, Tomytec and Oxford ranges sit happily side by side with considered positioning.

It would seem that that early days of Kato RhB are passing, where the manufacturer seemed to be responding to a demand from Japanese tourists for models of the iconic Swiss trains they had seen on holiday in a smaller scale and at a lower price than the Bemo range. Indeed, I sometimes feel, when visiting the hotspots in the summer over the last decades that there are more East Asian tourists in Switzerland than there are Swiss nationals!  In time, as the popularity of Kato Swiss models increases, perhaps we may see a greater diversity in the Kato range, coupled with the improvements in modelling. MDS Modelle evidently see the expanding niche market, and maybe others will follow, or we will see further stimulation from Kato, in time. Who knows, we may even see other Swiss rail company liveries and models in the future. WAB, JB, MOB, ZB, et al - the possibilities are many, though problematic.

I don't for one moment think RhB in N Gauge will match the depth and breadth of the Bemo range, but it's nice to dream.

All in all, the future could be good for the tourist, the enthusiast and the modeller alike.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:50 am »
Gordon does bring up a list of valid stuff that makes for interesting reading.

I for one do not worry about half a mill here and there, wether it be buffers or track gauge.

And I would love to see the layout in September, but twelve inch to the foot scale unfortunately will probably rule that out!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2018, 08:40:41 am »
Half a mill, nope, youíre right. 3mm on the track width? Bit different. Well done for being dismissive though.

Iím certainly impressed with the prices as you say Mike, as always with Kato the prices from Japan are superb, and somewhat less impressive from most UK retailers! Less than £120 for the 5-car Bernina set is amazing, even factoring in import and taxes.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:00 am »
3mm doesn't bother me either. What looks right is right. If the scenery and atmosphere of the layout gives a sense of satisfaction when viewed, then goal achieved.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:34 am »
Half a mill, nope, youíre right. 3mm on the track width? Bit different. Well done for being dismissive though.

Z scale track is too narrow for meter gauge in 1/150 anyway (splitting hair much)  ;)

But it is easy to re-gauge the Kato models to Z track (6.5mm). There are 'how to' online and it can be done with common tools. I've done a Kato RSC-2 once for a narrow gauge locomotive.

steve 

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:41 am »
Can see that being a decent solution, although obviously a bit of a faff at least the amount of rolling stock one would expect to have would mean it shouldn't be as bad as trying to do 2FS or anything like that for your average UK layout.

Z scale track being 0.17mm out really is splitting hairs as you say, but would look much better to my mind. I just think it's such a prominent feature of the prototype that I'd want to try and replicate.

Odd really, I'm not offended by OO or N gauge track (with standard gauge models) in the same way!

Completely moot at the end of the day, the chances of me building a layout are slim to none, I've already got one layout I never do anything on!

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:30 am »
Issue over, then.  :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:25 am »
Trying hard not to be accused of resurrection, but for those keen to see Kato N scale RhB using an approximation of metre gauge tracking, there is always the well respected portal of AB Modell - Anja Bange Modellbau, where, for a price, you can buy all sorts of goodies, spares or complete models, many of them special editions. These use 6.5mm Z Gauge tracking, and list as Nm scale. They do regular N Kato items too.

http://www.n-schmalspur.de/

But as George says, this oft-repeated issue is over. I hope.

:beers:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:55:06 am by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2018, 10:00:27 am »
Well it isn't over it's not something you'll "fix", but I'm not the one perpetuating the discussion, and I remain interested in the range, hence my ongoing participation here.

That the track gauge is wrong is just one of those things. There are many products there are flaws with, this is just one. I'm not sure why people are so uppity about it. It is wrong. That doesn't matter to many, it does to some. Let's move on with discussing the range, but dismissive posts about "it's only half a mil" are rude and incendiary.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
Issue over, then.  :thumbsup: :beers:

:beers:  can we get one with Guinness ?

R.I.P Dolores, gone too soon   :'(

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
The problem with adopting Z scale (1:220) gauge track is that seemingly the range is limited and the sleeper spacing is wrong so really your down to building your own track. Now I've got a whole load of Atlas code 55 I could assasinate but because life is too short, especially at my age so I'll accept Peco N gauge track and probably mix their Set track and code 80 electrofrog. Peco Set track curved points look a space saver and RhB stock won't look that silly going over them. The great thing about Peco N gauge track is that the design is so hopelessly unlike anything anywhere in the world you can use it and it still looks right, on a dark night with your eyes half open etc. You know what I mean. Now if somebody did an RhB specific track range at 6.5mm gauge with a small range of scale turnouts, well that's a fish of a different colour but I don't want to bury my layout in snow just to disguise the sleeper spacing.

I'm done on this part of the subject! But I'm sure we will come back to it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:24:10 am by Mike Beard »

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2018, 10:31:47 am »
That the track gauge is wrong is just one of those things. There are many products there are flaws with, this is just one. I'm not sure why people are so uppity about it. It is wrong.

Grown up in Switzerland I have had early Bemo models, back in the day when they were affordable (according to my salary). Nowadays I live on the other side of the world and I am very happy Kato came out with their affordable 1/150 scale models. I do not have a layout yet, one reason is that I am not sure yet if I will go 9mm track or hand laid 6,666666666667mm (there it is again) ;) or the easy way out and use Rokuhan Z scale. For the moment I am busy designing all sorts of billboard liveries for the Ge 4/4 II and III. Model railroading is fun and I like it, much.

steve       

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
Totally agree, although less of that model "railroading" here ;-)

We're all excited that Kato have come out with this range, hence our participation in this thread, I suspect 90% of posts are by about 5 people. That's why it's a shame to get to a point where people feel they're being attacked on their stance.

The problem with adopting Z scale (1:220) gauge track is that seemingly the range is limited and the sleeper spacing is wrong so really your down to building your own track.

Well it's a question of which compromise you prefer, but yes, as with anything if you want true high-fidelity track then building it yourself is the best (/only) way. At the end of the day, as others have said, Peco N is a compromise anyway, in every respect, but it's still what most UK-based modellers (myself included) use anyway.

For some reason I don't remotely understand this appears to be a very sensitive issue. So, moving on... I wonder if someone like Adam from Electra vinyls could/would do overlays for the various advertising liveries, just like the real thing. I would guess demand/production run size would be the issue, but his latest vinyls are very good IMO.

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2018, 05:48:54 pm »
the thread has been unlocked due to public demand.

Caveat scriptor!

Rule One lives.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:02:17 pm by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations