!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 41690 times)

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #930 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:07 pm »
The "Big" idea is to fit both ends of each General Purpose loco with 1015's. An "allocated" loco can pull the Glacier Express set/s and an Allegra can tow the Bernina set so that's OK. The EW1's, of which I have 8, will be split into three sets, two 3 coach and one two coach. They will be fitted with 1015's as will the "spare" Glacier Express coaches to make up "scratch" sets. All freight wagons will have 1015's even if it means re-bogieing them.

I wonder how long that will last in the rude light of day?

Oh, and EVERYTHING must run round a 150mm/ 6 inch radius curve as a train. Yes, I have a test track!

Interesting isn't it?

Mike B.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #931 on: October 11, 2018, 01:50:34 pm »
Oh, and EVERYTHING must run round a 150mm/ 6 inch radius curve as a train. Yes, I have a test track!

Mike B.
I've some of the 150 mm curves with my RhB starter set. The Kato stock obviously negotiates them fine, but I don't know about any freight stock (made by MDS I'm assuming)?

Maybe I could use my curves as a test track too, as even RhB trains look a little bit silly on such a tight curve....
Gizzy

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #932 on: October 11, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »
My test track is on a 4 foot x 2 foot board with a 282mm curve track for general use and a 150mm curve track for Kato use.

As the design of "Fillet of Filisur" progresses I'm thinking about using the 150mm radius curves to get from the scenic side to the fiddle yard side.

The first task when the MDS stock arrives is to check their running round that 150mm radius curve test track.

Mike Beard.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #933 on: October 11, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »
I've pre-ordered some MDS Freight wagons from Kramm.

I'd be interested to see how they perform with Kato stock Mike.

Many thanks for the 'Heads Up!'....
Gizzy

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #934 on: October 12, 2018, 10:08:04 am »
News Just In

Just to compound Mrs Beards joy this morning I've been invoiced, and I've paid, a bill from Hobbysearch for just a smidgen over 91 for the new Kato loco and two carriages. Bachmann and Hornby and Dapol note today is Right on the Button for promised delivery in Japan.  :claphappy:

Nothing now until at least March 2019 according to the current Kato Productionm Schedule  :'(

Cheers,

Me Again! 

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #935 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:58 am »
Re using Micro Trains knuckle couplers, I use Z scale ones as the N 1015s are too big. I buy them direct from Micro Trains in the USA. This also makes them compatible with stock from AB Modell.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #936 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:19 am »
Re using Micro Trains knuckle couplers, I use Z scale ones as the N 1015s are too big. I buy them direct from Micro Trains in the USA. This also makes them compatible with stock from AB Modell.

Please explain, what do you mean with are too big ? The appearance or physically too big as wont fit ?

steve

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #937 on: October 13, 2018, 07:03:28 pm »

Please explain, what do you mean with are too big ? The appearance or physically too big as wont fit ?

steve

1015s are designed for N gauge American rolling stock, there would be a large gap between locos and coaches! Usig 1015s on N RhB stock would like be using  Kadee No 5 HO coupler on an N gauge loco - too big. The draught box is quite large and would mean work to make it fit plus the trip pin would foul the track. The Z coupler is small and enables close coupling, plus the draught box is quite small and will fit in restricted locations. The photo of 642 which has been superdetailed has a Z coupler.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #938 on: October 13, 2018, 07:50:59 pm »
OK MetroMan,

You've made your point a bit forceably ( :) ). What is the Microtrains part number and have you fitted anything else with these couplings?

Thanks in Anticipation,

Mike Beard.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: October 13, 2018, 07:56:42 pm »
Many thanks for the detailed explanation Metroman, and the lovely detailing shown. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #940 on: October 13, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »
I think, I'm not sure and I'm very open to correction on this but RhB red is RAL 4000. The red specified for Transport for London Buses is also RAL 4000.

It's a long time since I was in London but RAL 4000 looks right to me. It might just save a long journey!

HTH,

Mike Beard.

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: October 13, 2018, 08:40:01 pm »
OK MetroMan,

You've made your point a bit forceably ( :) ). What is the Microtrains part number and have you fitted anything else with these couplings?

Thanks in Anticipation,

Mike Beard.

Mike, the part number is 002 02 021 (old number 905). For Z and Nn3 scale, but perfect for Nm/N RhB. 2 pairs are $8.95 from Micro Trains - they ship to the UK. I used to buy them on eBay, but no-one has listed any for a while for some reason. I have fitted my Glacier express coach set with them on the outer ends as I keep them as a six car rake. I have fitted both my Allegras and all eleven of my GE4/4 IIIs (two more are on the way!) plus my GE4/4 II. Also my ABe 4/4 which is a Shapeways body has the. My Bernina Express coaches are a rake of two and a rake of four, outer ends only. Basically, all my stock has them, I have a set of EW 1s on order which will have them, again, outer ends only. When I get my bogie vans from Kramm, I will see what I can do with them and post my solution. My next two GE4/4 IIIs will be in EMS white livery and Kantonalbank blue livery ( a certain person supplied me the decals as a special). I am currently superdetailing my way through my GE4/4 IIIs and also assembling catenary masts with N Track Modellbau etches and Sommerfeldt posts. I took a break from my RhB modelling as I purchased a lot of N scale US brass locos/coaches (Overland, Hallmark, Pecos River and Oriental) earlier this year and also a lot of JR Hokkaido stock (Tomix and Kato). I model quite a variety!!!

Nigel

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #942 on: October 13, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »
Nigel,

I've got 8 EW1's and two more coming as part of the new set. I'm thinking two 3 coach sets and 2 two coach sets. Like you I have Ge4/4III', but only 3 and a spare body, and 2 Ge4/4 II's + one "In the mail".Two GE sets and a Bernina set. The obligitory spare pair of GE coaches. So compatable end couplings are a necessity on all of those and a couple of Allegra sets.

The sets are fitted with "Short - Long" corridor connections between coaches and just "Short" at the set ends.

I not only have the 4 MDS wagons coming but also 5 Arnold ballst hoppers and at least a pair of tank wagons to convert so I'm going to need a "universal" coupling. Whatever it is it will be commercial.

Do you find that the MicroTrains couplings explode in the mail BTW?

Cheers,

Mike Beard.

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #943 on: October 13, 2018, 10:26:18 pm »
Nigel,

I've got 8 EW1's and two more coming as part of the new set. I'm thinking two 3 coach sets and 2 two coach sets. Like you I have Ge4/4III', but only 3 and a spare body, and 2 Ge4/4 II's + one "In the mail".Two GE sets and a Bernina set. The obligitory spare pair of GE coaches. So compatable end couplings are a necessity on all of those and a couple of Allegra sets.

The sets are fitted with "Short - Long" corridor connections between coaches and just "Short" at the set ends.

I not only have the 4 MDS wagons coming but also 5 Arnold ballst hoppers and at least a pair of tank wagons to convert so I'm going to need a "universal" coupling. Whatever it is it will be commercial.

Do you find that the MicroTrains couplings explode in the mail BTW?

Cheers,

Mike Beard.

Never had Micro Trains couplers explode in the mail!

Nigel

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #944 on: October 13, 2018, 10:30:39 pm »

That is looking very good, also the Z scale track, nice !   :thumbsup:

1015s are designed for N gauge American rolling stock, there would be a large gap between locos and coaches! Usig 1015s on N RhB stock would like be using  Kadee No 5 HO coupler on an N gauge loco - too big.

I do not agree with this comparison, the Kato RhB models are 1/150 (bigger than N scale 1/160) if anything the 1015 coupler are "smaller" on a Kato RhB 1/150 model. (like N scale coupler on a TT scale model  ;) )

The draught box is quite large and would mean work to make it fit

But there are much more variations available than Z coupler which will help to find an easier solution for any type of wagon / bogie.

plus the trip pin would foul the track

Not a problem for me, I cut them off, don't do uncoupling with magnets under the track and "optical" they are just wrong.

The Z coupler is small and enables close coupling

Yes, no argument there. (Although... see next)

plus the draught box is quite small and will fit in restricted locations

There I do not agree, yes the box is "thinner" than the 1015 or true scale box but if mounted at the same location as these two the Z coupler box is deeper / longer which means the Z coupler box needs more space than the N coupler or it will stick further out than the N coupler (which will work against the clouse coupling)

This is a size comparison between the standard N coupler 1015, the Z coupler 905 and the new Micro Trains N True Scale coupler 1300.

While the True Scale coupler looks perfect it needs the same five finger uncoupler as the Kato short coupler, not that easy to uncouple if you do lots of switching and shunting in a yard or Bahnhof.

Z coupler do look optimal for the RhB models, no argument there but price and the fact that there is only one variation available speaks against it for my needs.

For me it's the N coupler because they are "dummy proofed", they are available in many variations and there are Micro Trains 1015 clones available from China in bulk for "cents a piece".

steve
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:34:42 pm by retica »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here