!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DZ126 Advice  (Read 2654 times)

Offline LostBoy30A

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: DZ126 Advice
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 12:04:10 pm »
Presumably there's no evidence of it having been shorted (melted heat shrink etc)?

That would be my suggestion. If you can be bothered to send them back to the US you can claim on their "idiot proof" warranty.
Oh no, it's not showing signs of being blown and I have seen that before... ahh! That aroma!  :D
It'll be cheaper to send it back via Coastal DCC though.
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:43 pm »
I've had them fail with no obvious sign of the smoke having got out through the heat shrink. Obviously testing on another system may give you a clue, but I can't imagine it's your controller.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:17:28 pm by njee20 »

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:10 pm »
I've had them fail with no obvious sign of the smoke having got out through the shrink wrap. Obviously testing on another system may give you a clue, but I can't imagine it's your controller.
That's interesting. When you say, 'them', how many DZ126 have you had fail? At this stage I'm starting to lose patience with them, with a view to finding a more robust alternative.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 12:19:22 pm »
I meant decoders generally, I'm honestly not sure how many I've had fail over the years, maybe 4 or 5? Nearly (or entirely) all my fault  :-[

I do tend to use DZ126s as my 'go to' choice for hardwired decoders though, mainly because of the replacement when I'm ham fisted!

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:09 pm »
I meant decoders generally, I'm honestly not sure how many I've had fail over the years, maybe 4 or 5? Nearly (or entirely) all my fault  :-[

I do tend to use DZ126s as my 'go to' choice for hardwired decoders though, mainly because of the replacement when I'm ham fisted!
Fair enough.

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:34 pm »

I have a very old DZ125/6z that was one of the first decoders I bought - wired version - that I now keep as a spare/test chip to use in hard-wired locos as a quick check. I do this because I found that when problems occur they will shut down completely as self-protection - I think it might be thermal based, not sure - and after around 24hrs will work again when at the time they appear totally dead. So if you have problems with one leave it and try again the next day. This one has had the wires replaced/re-soldered endless times so I think they are basically pretty robust even if the motor control isn't the best.

Izzy

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 11:36:41 pm »
at this point, someone usually suggests getting a DCC chip tester!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41205.msg504992#msg504992

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:04 am »
I would suggest buying a decoder tester. :D
ESU make a very nice unit or you can DIY a cheap one.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:41 am »
My controller says "Read Error! Check connections!". This happens even when I connect the decoder directly to the porgramming track connections. A resitance test shows that all the wires are ok on their connections.

If the chip had no load (the grey and orange wires not connected to a motor) you would get this result with all chips.

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:30 am »
I have bought 3 Digitrax  DZ126IN and they have driven me bonkers  :-X;  I couldn't get Lenz silver minis - out of stock. They seem to be incompatible with my Dapol locos. I've tried 2 chips each in a Dapol Pannier and a Manor. Both have the same problem in both locos: very low speed control is okay but anything above a crawl is uncontrollable and unstoppable. I've tried the full range of CV values in CV numbers 2 - 6 in every combination; nothing makes much difference. Both Digitrax chips work fine in my Farish Maunsell N class. The Pannier and Manor both work fine with the Zimo chip, except it is too big for the Pannier's cab.
Have I got a bad batch or am I missing a trick? I'm using a Roco Z21 but as it works fine with the Digitrax chip in the Farish loco I can't see that it is a controller issue or an operator issue.

John

turn off DC running, whats happening there is the chip is getting a poor pickup from the DCC signal so it assumes its on a DC track to fix this,  set CV29=2 and let us know how it fares

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 11:14:07 am »
^^ Sound advice that - I always turn off DC running on my Digitrax chips, I find them prone to runaways if you get a short too with it enabled.

However that was asked 2 years ago, LostBoy resurrected a rather old thread!

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 11:57:41 am »
^^ Sound advice that - I always turn off DC running on my Digitrax chips, I find them prone to runaways if you get a short too with it enabled.

ah I didnt see that, will go and moderate myself ! :D

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:45 am »
yes as paul says turn off dc running also if on your system you have a railcom setting and dont use railcom chips turn this off as it causes runaways and uncontrollable locos had this issues a while ago when installing digitrax chips in loco's. 
also the mintirix may need the motor servicing as the gaps between the commutator clog after so many years and can cause extra current draw overheating the chip if you have also taken the wheels out ensure the bogies are in the correct ends and the isolated wheel side is on the pickup tab side of the bogey as this will cause an instant short also check for tabs that contact the chassis from the motor.

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:32 am »

I didn't see the point of starting another thread that covered the same item. This forum is such a labyrinth that all it's missing is a Minotaur, and I keep forgetting my ball of cyber string to tie off when I start at the beginning.  :D

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 11:52:29 am »
yes as paul says turn off dc running also if on your system you have a railcom setting and dont use railcom chips turn this off as it causes runaways and uncontrollable locos had this issues a while ago when installing digitrax chips in loco's. 
also the mintirix may need the motor servicing as the gaps between the commutator clog after so many years and can cause extra current draw overheating the chip if you have also taken the wheels out ensure the bogies are in the correct ends and the isolated wheel side is on the pickup tab side of the bogey as this will cause an instant short also check for tabs that contact the chassis from the motor.
Railcom. Check. got that, thanks I'll let you all know.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything