!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 39536 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2017, 09:20:49 pm »
AS always, my pleasure, Derek. Looking forward to the next SCARM update.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22:45 pm »

:hellosign: & good evening, this the latest idea for West Porthsea Town Station. The most obvious difference is the move to the right & curved platforms to gain space on the left, I have included a level crossing on the left as access to the station forecourt. Again the Blue track is the start of the branch line to the Quay Station, still on a long steady slope. As always any comments or suggestions are more than welcome
      More importantly shed time today & we now have the 3 boards cut, braced  & awaiting foam & track for the main station, photos to follow
       regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:35 am »
Thanks for the update, Derek. That looks good.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:57 am »
Thanks for the update, Derek. That looks good.

Seconded!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: November 10, 2017, 12:15:12 pm »
Looks good to me too.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #380 on: November 10, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »
And me too. Lots of play value there :) Sorry, a very interesting track layout. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #381 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris, John, Martin & Brian for the positive responses it is appreciated, best crack on & with the build now   :thankyousign:
     regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #382 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:26 pm »

:hellosign: As promised photos from the shed it

The first two the main boards for the station 1200x450 5mm ply with 18mm bracing for strength. The 3rd photo shows location of the removable board across the doorway regards Derek

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #383 on: November 10, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
Thanks, Derek. Looking good. You must be pleased. I do hope that you can ensure that those boards are absolutely flat before you commence tracklaying and the shed is not subject to large changes in temperature that might cause problems after track is laid? N Gauge rolling stock easily derails if the surface track is laid on is not flat.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: November 10, 2017, 11:19:14 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the warning Chris I am not rushing this time so hopefully all will run well. The shed only gets full sunlight on summer evenings so heat is not a problem. So far the cold does not seem to be affecting the ply (from B&Q) but will certainly keep an eye out as construction continues, I have a heater on standby if needed.
    regards Derek.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
Hi Derek,

I don't know but perhaps Chris (IP) was slightly concerned, as I was, about the bubble reading on your boat level in the first pic (unless you wanted a slope?). Saying that, those boat levels can be lying little b*ggers at times but I hope you've got a normal long spirit level for the boards.

Do not rely on boat levels, they cannot be trusted. It's not their fault, they're just missing their mates, the bricks.

All looking good though and glad your making progress. Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2017, 09:21:09 am »
Hi Derek,

I don't know but perhaps Chris (IP) was slightly concerned, as I was, about the bubble reading on your boat level in the first pic (unless you wanted a slope?). Saying that, those boat levels can be lying little b*ggers at times but I hope you've got a normal long spirit level for the boards.

Do not rely on boat levels, they cannot be trusted. It's not their fault, they're just missing their mates, the bricks.

All looking good though and glad your making progress. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Chris (Weave), for pointing that out. The slightest imperfection in the track can set up oscillations in trains passing over it which, then, can cause derailments. Before any permanent tracklaying, it is essential to lay track and run as many different trains and watch closely. It is well worth taking it slowly, Derek, rather than have to relay track later (usually in the most awkward location).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
As I understand it, Derek, the plan is that many trains (both passenger and goods) combine / split portions at West Porthsea station, with one portion going to / from West Porthsea Quay for the train ferry and cargo ships; some trains travelling direct along the WR mainline to Truro and beyond but others traveling via Chacewater (about 3 miles east of Redruth; about 6 miles west of Truro), to Port Perran, Newquay, Trepol Bay, Wadebridge and Penmayne (some calling at Cant Cove).

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:45 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks Chris (Weave), shows what I know about spirit levels, must buy a long one before track laying   :thankyousign:
  :hellosign: Interesting thoughts Chris (IP) I originally planned the boat train (passenger & freight) on one dock & another along side with a small platform leading to passenger facilities for boarding passenger ships (possibly Channel Islands). Then  :idea: another dockside area for freight (cranes for containers direct ship to train).  At the moment the plan for the Quay is nice & simple but that could change  :D always open to suggestions.
     The position of West Portsea Town is (possibly) about 2 miles East of Penzance so WR mainline services will feature along with local stoppers heading via St Agnes to the North Coast.  I feel most West bound trains will call at West Porthsea Town then either carry on to the Quay station or terminate in Penzance. Again always open to ideas or suggestions.
       regards Derek.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2017, 11:52:18 pm »
Hi Derek,

Firstly, regarding spirit levels, even just a cheapy 2ft one should do but don't drop them, ever!  :no:, they don't like it  :no:.

Moving on, please keep West Porthsea where you have said as then we're all on the same page.

I presume you've been reading the geography lesson on Martin's thread but have found another map which includes where Chris (IP)'s layout is (although fictional) and also might help more with further afield destinations....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/GWR_map_Cornwall.jpg

I think I've got the North Cornwall route sorted but we have to think of other routes too (the burden of being ferry port managers  :)).

The reason I'm trying to get my head together as to where everything is, is because of a new thread, tomorrow I hope, of a Brittany hoverport layout while Port Regleun is on hold. Here endeth the hijack.

Good luck with the board building.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here