Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD35

I was brought up with it.  My folks bought me the Farish 08 freight set for Christmas about 1981-ish and soon after a Lima 31 and 4 Mk1s along with making a 6x3ft twin track layout with plenty of sidings for messing with.  I've stuck with N ever since and the current layout has roughly a scale 2.2 mile run before the train completes the loop which simply wouldn't be achieveable with the room I have in OO gauge.

moogle

When I was about 12 and still at senior school (high school or whatever its called these days!) I belonged to the school model railway club. I only modelled that other scale then, (o.k, 'OO', I hate swearing on here!) and didn't really know about N gauge.

The school held an exhibition each year and the club members naturally took part. Good for your education you see!  :thumbsup:
Well, me and a friend of mine who was also a member were put in charge of this layout built on an old wooden door. (Very HEAVY!)

It was in N gauge and the teacher who ran the club trusted us with his stock to run on it. So that was my introduction to N gauge
and after two days of running this layout (just two loops, a station with goods yard and some storage sidings) I was hooked!  :)

N gauge was the scale for me and even though I have dabbled with other scales from time to time, I have stuck with N gauge and
thats all I model in now.  :NGaugersRule:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

poliss

Bought an Arnold Rapido catalogue from Bakers model shop, Gillingham in 1971. There was so much more variety than what was in the Tri-ang range.

Lawrence

Space for me too, like crackerbill I am ex RAF so a small bit of chipboard was all I could really make do with. I then had about a 25 year break all told and finally got back into it by picking up some cheap Baltimore & Ohio stuff from that auction site  ::)  and it allows me the flexibility it track design.  The last layout had radii anywhere from 7" up to about 20"

moogle

Quote from: poliss on November 23, 2011, 03:31:34 PM
Bought an Arnold Rapido catalogue from Bakers model shop, Gillingham in 1971. There was so much more variety than what was in the Tri-ang range.

My 1st N gauge stuff came from Bakers!
Was recommended by the teacher that ran the mrc at my school.
Went with my dad all the way there on an old Atlantean from Gravesend.
A shake, rattle and roll journey for sure!  ;)

My Irish layout here

poliss

I wasn't even planning to go to Gillingham. Two trains per hour from Queenborough, one to Sittingbourne, the other to Victoria. Got on the wrong train, ended up in Gillingham. Dodged the ticket collector (wrong ticket). Nearly had a heart attack when he shouted, "Oi You!". Thought I'd been caught, but he was after the passenger behind me.  ;D
Spent a lovely afternoon browsing in Bakers. That was 40 years ago. Couldn't tell you what I did yesterday though.  ??? :smiley-laughing:

moogle

Quote from: poliss on November 23, 2011, 03:57:45 PM
I wasn't even planning to go to Gillingham. Two trains per hour from Queenborough, one to Sittingbourne, the other to Victoria. Got on the wrong train, ended up in Gillingham. Dodged the ticket collector (wrong ticket). Nearly had a heart attack when he shouted, "Oi You!". Thought I'd been caught, but he was after the passenger behind me.  ;D
Spent a lovely afternoon browsing in Bakers. That was 40 years ago. Couldn't tell you what I did yesterday though.  ??? :smiley-laughing:

A happy accident if ever there was one!  ;)

1984 I 1st visited there. Lovely shop, went back a few times.
Sadly just a memory now...

My Irish layout here

grastairs

Small House Syndrome led me to choose N when I returned to the hobby earlier this year.

Found a space half-way up the staircase and am now the proud owner of a bare baseboard and lots of bits and bobs (mainly GWR) from ebay (having been careful to always only bid to my budget, and always well below shop prices).

Having ignored the reminder letters from SpecSavers for a while, I eventually went along and got fitted-up with new glasses ... only to find that I'm still squinting a little when looking at my Panniers and Prairies. Will have to see how it goes, but while I can see everything perfectly clearly in my head (where it's a very grand, almost "Fine-Scale" layout), I do have a worrying feeling that I'll end-up producing something in the "Impressionist" fashion.

I do get to dabble in OO, helping a workmate build his layout. Cheeky git came round the other day .... standing in front of my collection, he says "Where is it?"  :(
The World is a big place, even in N Gauge. Graham.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: grastairs on November 23, 2011, 04:21:06 PM
I do get to dabble in OO, helping a workmate build his layout. Cheeky git came round the other day .... standing in front of my collection, he says "Where is it?"  :(

Should have told him to go to specsavers 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

grastairs

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 23, 2011, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: grastairs on November 23, 2011, 04:21:06 PM

Should have told him to go to specsavers 8)

Oh don't worry .... I told him exactly where to go!
The World is a big place, even in N Gauge. Graham.

Fratton

when i was a lad i had an 00 gauge railway on a flimsy board with drawn on scenery i loved it but it was a toy, my grandfather had a N gauge layout on a board smaller than mine in his spare room and i wasnt allowed to touch it,,,,, its the forbidden fruit thing with me, i knew when i re-started for real in moddel railways i would do it in N (im still not allowed to touch my grandads N gauge stuff!!!!!
Charlie.

OwL

After a sea side holiday to torbay back in 1990, I visited a shop in Dartmouth called Battersbea's (dont know if he is still there), my folks bought me an N Gauge Brake van (which I still proudly own) and a length of flexi track.

The rest is history as my collection grew and grew.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Mustermark

When I was 12 or so my dad got me into OO and helped me build first a 6 x 4 and eventually an 18 x 5 layout in the attic.

I would go to Reading station trainspotting and go to Eames train shop around the corner to look at all the Hornby stuff.  It was while I was there that I fell in love with the tiny little N gauge stuff.  Never owned any as a kid, but I just loved it.  The locos and the Wiking lorries.

When I was about 30 I bought an N gauge Western Gauntlet, just coz I loved Westerns and because I wanted something N gauge.  Then several years later I ended up starting a huge collection of rolling stock and track... but still with no layout.  Now that I have a spare room I'm finally building a layout in N gauge.

It appeals to me mainly because it is is so small, but also because of the space you can use.  In my spare room I can manage to model Reading station and have a long stretch to watch full length trains run through countryside.  You couldn't do that in OO.  If I was going to model for detail that you can actually see I think I'd go up to O gauge.

Interesting thread - it's fun to read people's thoughts. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

poliss

This was in the Arnold catalogue that I bought which shows a good reason to go N scale.

Lawrence

Quote from: poliss on November 23, 2011, 06:54:34 PM
This was in the Arnold catalogue that I bought which shows a good reason to go N scale.

Given it is now 40 years old I take it there are no copyright issues with this image now  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations