!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 45xx Batches  (Read 3135 times)

Offline ten0G

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
45xx Batches
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:39:48 am »
Anybody get one of the 45xx tanies released recently? they may be a pointing to the worthiness of the M7 and the Ivatt to be released.

I'm considering 4528 in BR black (2S-014-002), but have no information to tell me how old it is.  It may have blackened wheels but it's not easy to tell in some shots, so I'm not sure if it's the latest chassis. 

Is there anybody who has tried one from the release last year who can comment on performance or have knowledge of 4528's age please? 

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: 45xx Batches
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »
This is a fairly recent one - they have the 2S- product numbers. The original batches had ND- product numbers.

I don't believe the motors or chassis are particularly different between the two (wheels slightly better looking on the newer ones).

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »
I don't think there have been any chassis changes to the 45xx. Some people have reported that the recent runs of the tank engines like the M7 run more smoothly than the older ones which may indicate an improved motor but I would not swear to it.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:19 pm »
You have to wonder why Dapol would re-release these locos if indeed without any improvements?  Times and expectations have moved on quite rapidly since they were originally introduced. It's almost as if Dapol are marking time with them...

I can remember a rather proud George Smith showing off the 45xx at a Thornbury show just prior to their release. His audience were captivated by this new loco, but sadly in use they proved to be rather variable. They must have been made in large numbers as the so called box shifters were knocking them out very cheap at one time to clear stocks. I have four from the original release and two of them take off like Greyhounds from the starting blocks.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:06:22 pm »
You have to wonder why Dapol would re-release these locos if indeed without any improvements?
Because it is a cheap earner for them? The toolings have been paid for so they can offer them fairly cheaply to people who do not fancy the lottery of buying second hand. The models may not be up to modern standards mechanically but cosmetically they are pretty good. Banging out a few hundred in each livery will bring in some cash, make their range bigger and allow them to offer things like weathering that were not an option the last time they produced them.

Plus anyone buying a new one will benefit from Dapol's warranty which may appeal to some.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:12:25 pm »
I have four from the original release and two of them take off like Greyhounds from the starting blocks.

Mine is from the original release (ND-013) and, given clean wheels and track, will run nice & slowly but, by heck, it took ages of running in to get it so. Just hope it hasn't been worn out :worried:

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:34:23 am »
Received an email from eHattons yesterday which included the following:

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and, as you requested an email notification of its arrival, thought you would like to know that it is not now expected to be released.

Dapol 2S-014-002, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=75163

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases. You will remain signed-up for notification Ė so if it is reinstated and delivered then you will receive a notification.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on this one because some shops show awaiting new stock while others state out of production. 

I bought a new one from Rails a few weeks ago who had a few left and are now included in their sale at the same price.  They tested it before despatch and Iíve yet to run it in (although I didnít see anything in the instructions about it).  However, it too does have a tendency to start like a greyhound.  I havenít tried it over any pointwork because I havenít bought any yet. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »
Mine was like that to start with but copious amounts of running and it's OK

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:12 pm »
News to make us smile, Joel at Dapol has posted on thier forum they are refreshing these locos with cast wheels and dcc chassis in the next year.
  :D
Graham

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:00 pm »
I saw that, Graham, but would take the timing with a rather large pinch of salt :hmmm:

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »
I agree, I have a few years to run my three into the ground.
Graham

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 05:24:24 am »
Mine is the first Dapol loco I ever bought, it was quite a few years ago because I bought it from Osborns when they were in Abingdon, I remember testing two and choosing the best, mine has always run well.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 11:11:10 pm »
Does anyone have a 45xx or other early Dapol tank that has been DCC converted ? I'd be interested to know if the scalded cat syndrome can be cured by manipulating the DCC speed/motor settings.

Offline Big bad John

• N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 11:37:51 pm »
I've got one with the 2S prefix that was faster off the line than a formula one. I've fitted a DCX 76 chip and It run's smoothly and can creep along at a slower than needed rate. You need a small chip though if you want It out of sight in the bunker.

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »
I have successfully converted 4 of these using DC22 and Lenz silver  mini decoders. Yes, control tamed and vastly improved throughout the speed range by setting the relevant CV values.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything