!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jennings Quay  (Read 23291 times)

Offline Jordash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Jennings Quay
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 09:32:50 am »
So to try and encourage me to make progress I will try and regularly update this topic.

I've made some small progress in the evenings this week:

Here is my station, I don't have any passenger rolling stock yet, but when I do I may choose to extend the platforms a bit, but it seemed silly to buy the Metcalfe kit with 7 feet of platform when I only need about 6 inches!:

I have also now received the first 6 electronic modules from MERG. The Servo4 kit with a piece of cake to put together last night so I'm looking forward to bashing out the rest of them.

I'm still not 100% sure about the best way to switch the frogs. I have the MERG servo mounts and microswitches, so I have enough bits to mount 2 microswitches on each servo. With that I would like to feed back to the mimic panel to allow for an LED to light and also to switch the frog polarity. Anyone like to share any ideas on this?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:22:40 pm by Jordash »

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:53 am »
Dont suppose you could post pictures into a folder on the forum if possible please? I cant see them on flickr as my isp blocks them... :(

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 01:23:42 pm »
I've put all of my photo's in an album and modified all of the previous posts to now link to the album photo's, I hope that helps.

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:14 am »
So yesterday's progress didn't seem much, but I did manage to sort out a few details that I wasn't sure about.

Here are the servo mounts that fit into the foam:

And here is one in place:

I've also cut out maintenance holes through baseboard so I can also glue down the foam.

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »
A small update from this eve, soldered up my other servo4 board, shown here along side the other boards I've completed so far:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Also decided to throw a base coat on the foam board whilst the track is up:

It looks a bit too purple in real life, but I'm not particularly bothered as it will all get covered in scenery at some point.

Having sorted all the servo mounts out, I'm not looking forward to getting all the microswitches in the right place, as the nuts and screws are small and blocked because of the way I've made the mounts!

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:57 pm »
Another day, another small update.

Today I had a go at my first smd soldering project, the gas lamp twinkler from MERG. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was, imm definitely up for some more surface mount soldering projects.

Here it is:

Then I placed the track back on the board and pinned the points down, so I can take them up again and tighten the microswitches when I know how much travel they need. This has led to an important realisation that if there is ever a fault with them it will be a complete pain to fix!

And under the board:

A bit like a modern French car it'll be ok to put together originally, but further maintenance will be expensive and time consuming!

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 09:02:08 pm »
This evening I've knocked up a few back boards, they are just screwed to the base at the minute, once they're painted they will be properly fixed and brackets used where necessary.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:18 am »
If you can afford it I would recommend ID Backscenes which I have found to be excellent.

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Index_Backscenes_45.html

Rather than glue them to the backboard I've secured the bottom of the scene between the baseboard & backboard, then used those plastic spines from my local stationer which are used to secure sheets of A4 paper together. That way, you also get a neat trim round the top of the backscene.

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:28 am »
A friend of mine is a talented artist, and I think I can persuade her to paint me a back scene. But I need some ideas of what I want first.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
A friend of mine is a talented artist, and I think I can persuade her to paint me a back scene. But I need some ideas of what I want first.

Handy contact to have! :thumbsup:

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:19 pm »
Its looking good.  Nice to see some MERG modules being built

The lamp twinkle was my first attempt at soldering surface mounting soldering and it worked fine some of my later projects (the old SMD USB interface and the SMD block detector were harder work)!

I have not used the latest 3D printer servo mounts but with the older ones and my own mounts I found fitting the micro switches not too difficult there is a fair bit of play in the switches in use they only thing is to make sure the bolts are tight and the switches can not move when closed

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 06:02:57 am »
In theory the microswitches should have been easy, but i didn't think about fitting them.when I designed the little U brackets that the mounts screw into. These brackets somewhat block access the the screws when tightening the switches. I got the all done fully but it was a bit fiddly.

Once they were done I finished cutting the small field yard track, relaid all the other track then wirex in the main power bus.

Naturally I had cocked up the wiring to some of the turnouts and frog microswitches, so I had the use my multimeter on each one to make sure I haven't got the polarity reversed anywhere. I still need to wire in some of the completed merg cbus modules, at which point it will be ready for some testing  :claphappy:

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 06:25:59 am »
Tiny update to say that yesterday a train ran at Jennings Quay, there's nothing to show for it, but at least it seems to work. I now need to get the MERG CBUS system up and running so that I can actually change the points and make sure that they are all working correctly.

Then it's on to getting the track glued down.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 09:57:55 am »
Good to know the test train has successfully negotiated the layout. Look forward to seeing the inaugural run take place :thumbsup:

Offline Jordash

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:08 am »
Me to, still got to sort out proper point control, now that the servos are all hooked up I can't just flick the points by hand and I haven't wired up the cbus system to control them yet. When it happens it'll be posted straight on here.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here