!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hi Ho Silver Lining  (Read 158 times)

Offline Ali Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
Hi Ho Silver Lining
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »
Now that Wobberly, who is my brother, has managed to post some pictures of his splendid engines I thought I'd have a go with our layout.

As you can see it's a double track oval with a Nelevator for a storage yard at the back and a scenic section at the front. The whole thing is 12ft x 5ft, with the scenic section being 8ft x 2ft. The point of the design is that the scenic section can be removed and replaced with different boards on a completely different theme. This section represents the English midlands, vaguely inspired by Burton upon Trent, in 2000ish. The next will be the Great Central London Extension ca 1960, which is what some of Wobberly's engines are inetnded for.  Hence the title of this thread: It's "everywhere and nowhere, baby". The scenic boards are laser cut kits from Grainge and Hodder. I can make passable baseboards (and the others are by my own hand) but making them sufficiently consistent to be interchangeable is beyond my skill level.

An important feature of the design is the scissors crossover at either end in the non-scenic section.

This allows a multiple unit or other double-ended train to be reversed in the scenic area and returned to it's original place in the Nelly without wrong line running. It also offers the possibility of having a single track scenic section whilst still using the full capacity of the Nelly.

The layout is wired for DCC but the inner circuit can be switched to DC for running-in and testing purposes.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: Hi Ho Silver Lining
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »
I really like those "Nelevator" things ... on my wishlist for sometime in the future. Great Layout and an excellent idea having the 'interchangeable' board ... another thing for me to file for the future! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Ali Smith

• 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
Re: Hi Ho Silver Lining
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:19:41 pm »
Thanks for your kind words. The Nelevator is excellent but I hate to think what delivery to Switzerland would cost.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here